Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question, is it possible for the head gasket of the SD to leak oil out onto the block, without any other symptoms of damage being present? I’m not sure why, but every time I run it and go for a drive, there’s always oil all around the block, starting up at the head gasket.
there’s no other signs of a head gasket leak. It doesn’t eat any coolant at all, and there’s never bubbles in it, never gets hot, doesn’t use much oil or blow blue smoke, but all sides of the block are always covered in oil under the head gasket after a drive.
I’ve looked at the SD in dads farm Ute, and the block is dry, all the time, so I’m a bit concerned.
Mine also has a somewhat bad rear main leak, always drips in the car park when parked for a little while, but I’ll ignore that until I go to put on the turbo flywheel and replace the clutch.
Photos of my block after it’s been sitting for a few minutes and some of the oil has naturally vaporised:

Photos of dads block, showing no signs of head gasket oil leaks whatsoever:

Pretty much, do I need a new head gasket? Or is there something else going on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
3,225 Posts
Thoroughly degrease and wash the area. Then take the vehicle for a short drive. Check for oil. Repeat, slowly increasing the amount of time you drive each time until you can see oil.

The idea is to spot it as soon as possible, before the oil spreads all over the place and you can't tell where it's coming from.

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thoroughly degrease and wash the area. Then take the vehicle for a short drive. Check for oil. Repeat, slowly increasing the amount of time you drive each time until you can see oil.

The idea is to spot it as soon as possible, before the oil spreads all over the place and you can't tell where it's coming from.
Yep, I’ll have to try this Monday when I’m free, but I’m almost certain it’s coming from the head gasket. I’ve degreased and washed it before, and every time it comes back in the same place, all around the block below the gasket line. It’s especially bad on the manifold side, but still pretty bad on the injector pump side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts