Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I bought an SD33T MK SWB, only to find it has an f'ed head and head gasket, I've already got a new gasket kit, but I dunno what to do with the head.

Mine has 2 cracks, however one is very minor. I had the head pressure tested, and it was fine.

But I can get a reco head with valves for $850. Pretty good price I thought.

I really don't have a lot of money, so is worth taking the gamble and putting my head back on, or do I just get the new head?

I can dig up some pics of the cracks if needed.

Thanks, James.

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
Your head will need facing anyway and valve guides/seals replaced also seats cut/ lapped if some are burnt or stem diameters out of spec some valves will need to be replaced.
All up this could be looking at $500 so maybe the $850m isn't too bad. Also depends where the cracks are, if the deal is for exchange head and the supplier has looked at it then yours would be fixable. Make sure you use factory gaskets and check the sleeve height and make sure your order the right thickness gasket (three sizes available I think its stock, 0.020" and 0.040", check nerok wiki parts list)

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Yeah, lot of people have problems with aftermarket gaskets, they aren't as thick as the Nissan ones and tend to blow easily.

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies Outback MK and LordBug.
I have purchased genuine Nissan Gaskets, as I have heard about people having trouble with after market stuff.

The cracks in my head are between the valves on cylinders 4 and 6.
This isn't an exchange head, just $850 outright.

From what I can tell, it will need valve work anyway, as they are fairly worn.
Probably best that I just go for the reco head.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
The cracks between the valves are actually a common thing on the SD33 & SD33T heads.

But I certainly can't fault $850 for a fully reco'ed head. And if it was only the valve seats that needed lapping, personally I'd be tempted to give the DiY route a shot.

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some guy on an American forum said he's seen cracks on all 6 cylinders, and put the head back on and it was fine.

But my fear is that the crack will continue to grow. And eventually crack into a water gallery.

If the crack does eventually spread to a water gallery, is there any chance of fixing the head then by welding it or similar, or would that be the end of it?

·
Rusty, but Trusty. Most of the time
nissan
1,185 Posts
Just for interests sake, check the little pipes the pushrods go through in the head, make sure theres no holes in them. :D

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The head is currently at a friend of a friends,as he's a mechanic.
I'll have a look when I get it back, but there shouldn't be anything considering it pressure tested fine.

Cheers.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Running 20 odd to 1 ratio in a diesel , a small crack could turn into a large crack very quickly
Altho in the interweb world , what seems great could be a total disaster
I would consider the cost of repairing the head, re the cracks , or trying to track down a 2nd hand head and getting it crack tested
BUT
Getting a 2nd hand head or a head worthy or repair is getting very hard to track down
Even a dead SD33 motor wether turbo or not are worth money sold up in pieces

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You make a couple of good points there MQ MAD.
I've decided to go for the reco head. I'm gonna order it tomorrow.

Thanks all for your advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts