Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1985 SD33Ti MK LWB Wagon
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Does anyone know what the oil pressure should be on the SD33T at idle? Normally mine sits at 19-20 psi, and if I’ve been for a long highway drive it’ll get down to 15-16 psi, which seems way too low to me. From what I know about other engines it should be around 25 psi at idle, so I’m wondering as well if my JRP gauge could be inaccurate.
This is using Castrol RX-Super 15w40
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1985 SD33Ti MK LWB Wagon
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The lower oil pressure after a cruise is definitely due to the oil being warmer and thinner, there was one time after a very long sand drive on Fraser where the pressure was at 8psi at idle, which I know for sure is too low. It increases with revs up to just above 40psi, but I’m wondering if my oil pump is on the way out and can’t pressurise enough oil at low RPM’s. Main reason I ask is because there’s a TD42 high-flow oil pump for sale and I’m wondering if it would bolt up to the SD.
I know the injector pump could be bolted up because there’s someone who’s running an inline SD pump on their TD, so evidently there’s similarity between the engines, which makes sense. They’re both old style pushrod IDI diesels made by Nissan in the same era of engine design, and the TD line was basically made to replace the SD line. So I’m curious whether the oil pump assemblies are interchangeable between the 2 motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts