Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys I’ve been lurking for a while but haven’t posted yet, kind of a crap first post but my shorty is playing up and was hoping I could get some ideas on what it might be.

so it ran rough on the way home from work the other night, felt under powered at lower revs and surged a little. I didn’t drive it for a couple of days ( we were using the misses car) and I went to start it today and it really didn’t want to start, it turns over and sound like it’s about to start but would fail just after a splats and splutters. I left it for a few seconds and tried it again and still no luck, I popped the bonnet and a look around for anything obvious. Nothing looked out of place or loose.

I eventually got it started just and it ran like crap, sounds like its missing and running on 5. Its bellowing whity blueish smoke smells like un burnt fuel. I haven’t played with anything and it hasn’t done this before, it’s never great to start and always blew a little smoke until it was warm but I just excepted that a 20+ year old diesel was like that. I didn’t take it for a drive for fear of it failing and having to push the pos back home by myself

At first I thought it could have been a fuel problem because I ran the tank down pretty low the last time I drove it before I fuelled up, I thought maybe it had picked up some gunk and it was the filter a little blocked or something but it seems like it’s over fuelling or not getting enough compression to burn the fuel. oil pressure was up where it normally sits at 3, it’s got a relatively new battery, alternator and glow plugs (about 12ish months old)

Thoughts? Or tests I should do? I’m guessing I should do a compression test, pull the injectors and see if there all spraying the same. If one injector was fouled would the symptoms line up?

Thanks in advance Joel

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,289 Posts
Welcome mate .

I would start with fuel 1st, Check your edic motor is working correctly, (Edic motor controls your injection pump) They often stuff up, It might be half on half off only giving you half fuel. You can disconnect it and it will spring straight to run position .
Just a bit on rebuilding edic motor, and a few issues related to it.
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-mq-mk-12/sd33t-edic-motor-187378/

Next
There is a little filter on the lift pump on the injection pump it is a banjo bolt where the fuel enters your injection pump. . The little filter is plastic and screws out . Guaranteed it is blocked. here's a thread .

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/687669-post1167.html

Other things to check once started is if you have done a head gasket, It's another common issue.

Do a bit of a search and you will find plenty of info, But hopefully this gets you started.

·
White & Whistlin sd33T
nissan
388 Posts
As Coils says. Check fuel first. Especially the little filter. It can be a bit of a bugga.
While it is idleing have a look at the IP controller (edic motor) if it is staying put and not cycling around then it is probably OK

If it is cycling round this will cut the fuel on & off as it cycles. Check the Oil pressure sensor for loose wires or a short. Also make sure the rubber boot is not full of water. These simple things can cause the edic motor to cut off as it thinks there is an oil pressure problem and shuts the engine down.

Check the thread below out that I started a few years ago when I had problems. It was a very simple fix and has not played up at all since

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-mq-mk-12/sd33t-surgeing-fuel-cut-off-cutting-out-25374/

Cheers Ric

Reactions: buck90

·
Registered
Nissan 2002 GU TD42 Coil Cab
255 Posts
My old 83' MQ SD33 gave me similar problems, several points have already been mentioned.
The filter on my old girl was underneath and removed with a 17mm spanner.
The other problem I found was the multi pin round plug connecting the fuel controller. I disconnected it sprayed CRC and pushed it together and removed it several times to make a better contact. This solved the problem.
Something else worth trying is to remove the pin from the lever on the controller, the controller will go to full flow. Start engine and see if this helps. The key won't turn the engine off with controller disconnected but you can physically shut the engine down by rotating the lever by hand.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
nissan
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers for the help guys I finally got around to doing some work on it and the edic id stuffed, I tried cleaning it out but it’s still faulty so I’m just going to bypass it. I also cleaned out the little pre filter as suggested and good thing I did, it was full of crap. I put a fuel system cleaner in just to make myself feel better and the old girl is up and running better than ever! I’ve just unplugged the edic for now when I get a chance I’ll be running the cable in to the cab so I can just manually shut it down, till then I just stall it.
Thanks again for the help and advice guys

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,289 Posts
Very good, knew it would be a fuel issue , extremely common . Glad your up and going.

Sent using carrier pigeon from Bill Lawrie

·
Registered
nissan
35 Posts
I used a mx83 cressida accelerator cable on mine, was roughly the right length. bit hillbilly spec but works

1 - 9 of 9 Posts