Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i had a thought the other day and want your opinions. This may be stupid but here we go.

If i was to supercharge a SD33T would it go before or after the turbo?
Would there be any advantage to doing this?
Lastly would a SC14 Charger be enough to make a difference.

Thanks for your help. Feel free to tell me its a stupid idea. Its mostly just to satisfy curiosity.

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,787 Posts
hell yeah do it.the sc14 will spool the turbo alot quicker.it puts out 1435cc of air per revolution,just right to bring the boost on via a turbo just off idle.make sure you retain the bypass for when you de accelerate .you will be able to spin up a bigger turbo with virtually no lag

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,197 Posts
Certainly worth a try I reckon

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
Its a different kettle of fish than a turbo compound setup thats for sure!

Weather it will have a noticeably better power delivery curve is a mystery :D So it sure it worth a try.
The blower will suck power out of the engine to drive it, so as long as what it is adding (ontop of the turbo) counter acts this it could potentially have some benefit.

·
GHMBC #3
3,787 Posts
DT if the following statement is correct would you think it would make a difference?

a sc14 on a 3 to 4lt will give approx 40% increase in power-Andrew the owner of ATM in lawton has one on his v6 pajero which we see at glasshouse in action and therefore it works well on a petrol motor.given the extra torque down low of a diesel the power gain would be more noticeable and off idle will be helping the exhaust gases spin the turbo wheel.even a 10% increase in power will be noticeable.a slightly bigger air side may give more top end power due to turbo not relying on exhaust side alone for spooling thereby reducing lag

·
Registered
nissan
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well im not putting aircon back in and will be installing thermos. So minus the drag of the a/c compressor and the engine fan and add the charger should (in theory) pretty much even it back out right? Im still in the build process so no plan is set yet but was planning on putting a GT2860 (Unless you know a better option) to replace the factory HT15. My mate has a SC14 and offered it to me the other day which is when i had this thought

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,873 Posts
Hopefully RMP&O will chime in, he has an SD33 with a turbo and supercharger.
However I'm not sure if he has had a chance to give it a good workout as of yet.

·
GHMBC #3
3,787 Posts
i have had the same thought on a tb42 motor.1st step for me is to put a m90 on,run it for a while with a cometic gasket and apr head studs then oring a tb45 block,do the rods and bang a big garret on.in theory a tb42/45 will be making 2lb at 1000rpm with a 89mm pulley on a m90 and with a sc14 it was 1300rpm.a sc14 is good for 14,000 rpm itself so maybe a smaller pulley with the torque of yr motor will give good results with a slightly bigger turbo that would spool later normally

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
DT if the following statement is correct would you think it would make a difference?

a sc14 on a 3 to 4lt will give approx 40% increase in power-Andrew the owner of ATM in lawton has one on his v6 pajero which we see at glasshouse in action and therefore it works well on a petrol motor.given the extra torque down low of a diesel the power gain would be more noticeable and off idle will be helping the exhaust gases spin the turbo wheel.even a 10% increase in power will be noticeable.a slightly bigger air side may give more top end power due to turbo not relying on exhaust side alone for spooling thereby reducing lag
Mate if you live local (im at caboolture) im happy to give you before and after dyno results free of charge just because its perked my interest right up ;)

You cant look at petrol engines and relate them to diesels. Petrol efficiency is about 1/3 of a diesel from the get go. So boosting it up makes a massive difference to them, where on a diesel already turbocharged it might be a 5-10% increase tops.

BUT! ive never done it so I dont have first hand experience. My thoughts are purely based off previous experience with various setups. Happy to test it out for anyone trying it.

·
GHMBC #3
3,787 Posts
Mate if you live local (im at caboolture) im happy to give you before and after dyno results free of charge just because its perked my interest right up ;)

You cant look at petrol engines and relate them to diesels. Petrol efficiency is about 1/3 of a diesel from the get go. So boosting it up makes a massive difference to them, where on a diesel already turbocharged it might be a 5-10% increase tops.

BUT! ive never done it so I dont have first hand experience. My thoughts are purely based off previous experience with various setups. Happy to test it out for anyone trying it.
DT, wouldn't mind bringing you a standard tb42 with only electronic ignition and running it back to back with mine with a few ignition mods and a m90 fitted,happy to pay and would be even happier with a discount.both are on lpg,mine has knock sensor,a/f gauge and a modified dissy with boost retard made by the lpg/ignition guy in learjet drive.

·
Registered
nissan
1,167 Posts
Please return to the discussion of SD33's as soon as possible. This petrol sh*t is boring me lol

·
GHMBC #3
3,787 Posts
its slightly related lol, the benefits of supercharging but hey at least its not talking about td's or zd's

·
Registered
nissan
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Loving the interest this has developed. I was expecting the opposite responses. Id love to take you up on that DT but unfortunately im pretty far away up here in Darwin. Keep the advice and such coming. I was just curious to begin with but now im seriously considering doing this. Dont get your hopes up too much tho as it still may not happen and if it does it could still be a while away. Ill probably do the turbo build first and run it in a bit then ill see about throwing the charger into it.

·
Registered
nissan
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats exactly right Mungrel. Ive rebuilt a few motors an done alot of mechanical work before but this is my first complete resto down to the last bolt. I know ill never get back the amount of work and money i put into it but thats not the point of doing it. Im doing it for the experience and because i enjoy doing it.

If only id stop running out of money id have alot more done haha.

·
Mr G60
890 Posts

·
GHMBC #3
3,787 Posts
thats sweet,what charger is that? noticed the Yuri sticker on the side,did he build the engine?looks like the demand for mk/mq's might go up

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,277 Posts
Yuri built engine , I'm sure Ian will fill you in when he knocks off , but in the mean time if you search his mq build you should see all there .

Sent using carrier pigeon from Bill Lawrie

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
Yuri built engine , I'm sure Ian will fill you in when he knocks off , but in the mean time if you search his mq build you should see all there .

Sent using carrier pigeon from Bill Lawrie
Ya, Yuri did build it and as such I can not give to many details.

It is a Sprintex S/C and is side mount. It is obviously before the turbo.

I was in Aus. in 2007 and Spent some time with Yuri in Toowoomba. His shop truck was a Cruiser Ute that he had put a S/C on, plus the stock turbo. On the drive back from Brisbane to Towoomba I was really blown away by this set up. Super cool, sounded awesome and performance was impressive. We talked about it on that drive and I was kind of sold on it after that. I am sure others have S/C'ed a diesel but his was the first I had seen or heard of.

I will tell ya from my limited uses with the engine so far that the S/C is definitely a go on the old SD33T. But the same rules apply, ie keep boost at about 15psi max. Other impressive results to the engine came from 2x intercoolers. The turbo is a Garret T3 that Yuri had built to his specs, so I don't know all the details on it. We had a bunch of stuff ceramic coated too. Also a top mount oil cooler. It also has a very nice custom made aluminum radiator. From what I have seen with it and from my limited use thus far, it runs extremely cool. A lot of the mods we did were not just for performance, rather to improve overall life of the engine and increase efficiency.

Shoot Yuri an email or call him. I am sure he can school you on the build, what and why. He is a really nice guy to boot!

Cheers

1 - 20 of 22 Posts