Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've got an L28 dash in the SD33T swapped wagon at the moment, and I can't use the tacho for obvious reasons. I want to keep most of the L28 dash though as it's in much better condition than the donor ute's diesel dash, but I want the diesel tacho. My question is, will the tacho unit come out seperately from the rest of the dash, and am I able to swap it into the petrol dash? Also, it's missing it's needle, am I able to take the needle from the L28 dash and put it on the SD one?
Thanks guys.

Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
Hi mate again im commenting from experience ive had from trying to swap td42 and tb42 cluster parts not sure if its relevant to you but my experience is i was able to use the speedo from the tb42 which came out separately but when i came to the tacho it would not be compatable as it had different wiring and extra lights that the td had but not tb. In regards to needles they do come off but are a real pita and you have to be very carefull as in my case they were very very brittle and difficult to remove needle without damaging.
Again not sure if its relevant to what your doing but though id share馃榾

Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, I鈥檝e actually successfully swapped the diesel tacho into the petrol dash. It wasn鈥檛 hard at all, I just unscrewed the petrol one and screwed in the diesel one, but the plugs were different. Not a hard fix, both have a positive and negative, and the diesel has 2 signal wires whereas the petrol has one.
All I did was pull the 4 wires and plug from the diesel one (they all come out as one loom), cut off the petrol positive, negative, and signal, soldered the diesel positive and negative to the cut off ones, and ran the signal wires to the dangling ones on the front of the motor. Easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
Didn't see this till just now, good work figuring it out.

Keep an eye out for the needle slipping sometimes removing and reinstalling needles can cause it, from memory the tacho spindle is ever so slightly larger than the speedo one, so you should not have an issue with the speedo needle on the tach.
I have tried going the other way as the speedo needles have a habit of bending and it didn't work out, tach needle was loose on the speedo spindle

Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didn't see this till just now, good work figuring it out.

Keep an eye out for the needle slipping sometimes removing and reinstalling needles can cause it, from memory the tacho spindle is ever so slightly larger than the speedo one, so you should not have an issue with the speedo needle on the tach.
I have tried going the other way as the speedo needles have a habit of bending and it didn't work out, tach needle was loose on the speedo spindle
Yep, my Speedo needle is bent as you describe, not hitting anything yet though so I鈥檒l see how long it lasts. At first the tacho wanted to slip but I just pushed the needle on a little more and it secured itself so all good now.

Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
Yep, my Speedo needle is bent as you describe, not hitting anything yet though so I鈥檒l see how long it lasts. At first the tacho wanted to slip but I just pushed the needle on a little more and it secured itself so all good now.

It seems to be UV that causes the majority of the damage to them, like most 70s-80s Japanese plastics lol.
If you want to pull the cluster apart again, they can easily be bent back into shape with a little heat.
Some have tried supergluing a toothpick to the back of the needle, I'd reckon a little bit of rigid glue like araldite on its own would also work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts