Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So most of you know I have spent a bit of time experimenting with different turbo chargers for the SD33T.

This is now finished.

I am satisfied that the turbo I have settled with is the way to go.

It is based on the Mitsubishi TD04 family and has a billet compressor wheel. (Or you can get the standard cast compressor)

Boost response is fantastic, it comes on from 1300rpm and will hold maximum boost all the way to governor and is well within its efficiency range.
I'm at 18psi on the ute and when loaded in 4th it will build 18psi by 1700rpm.

I'm running the same TD04 on my Terrano (2.7L 4 cyl TD - basically a 4 cyl 42) and it's pushing 28-30psi and has been for 15k now.

I will make it a kit and include a custom 3" dump pipe to suit the SD33T.

Kit:
Flange, dump, drain gaskets
Stainless steel braided Oil feed
Oil drain and adapter to stock dump
Dump pipe
Wastegate actuator of your choice (12, 15, 18psi)
T3 to T25 flange adapter

The turbos will ship to me first and I will modify them to suit the SD and then ship them out.

I've also got some tricks to share to get the most out of the turbo (safely) thanks to Azotek and some more testing a couple of mates and I did.

Looking to get an idea of interest into a group buy.

Who is interested?

I am about to order 4 for some WA guys and a girl.

Questions? Let's discuss

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,843 Posts
I'll be very interested once I drop a diesel in my shorty. I can't be shagged trying out different turbos and setups etc, don't have the money or time for that.

When you say kicks in at 1300 rpm, do you mean that's when it starts making boost, or that's when you can feel the turbo start to push it along?

Do you have a rough figure as to what the kit would cost?
If it's pulling 18psi at 1700rpm, do you reckon its making max somewhere around that mark?
And how does your car handle a heavy load or trailer compared to before? Most I had behind my stock SD33T was 2.6 tonnes or so and that was a slllooowww trip.

·
Registered
nissan
1,167 Posts
Interested, very interested. :)

·
Registered
833 Posts
Absolutely I'm interested mate.
Is this the same one that's in your Ute now? Cause that thing is an animal!!

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you say kicks in at 1300 rpm, do you mean that's when it starts making boost, or that's when you can feel the turbo start to push it along?

Depends on the tune really but let's it really starts moving at 1600rpm and up.

Do you have a rough figure as to what the kit would cost?
Looking at around $1200 if I can get the dumps made up for the right price but I will confirm it all if we get the numbers. 10 should do it.

If it's pulling 18psi at 1700rpm, do you reckon its making max somewhere around that mark?
I assume you mean maximum torque - depending on tune it should make 300nm+ from 1800rpm.

Expect 360nm with good intercooler, 16psi and good tune.

And how does your car handle a heavy load or trailer compared to before? Most I had behind my stock SD33T was 2.6 tonnes or so and that was a slllooowww trip.

Definitely alot better. It will hold 90 pulling hills with a car trailer and a patrol on it in 4th.
That's on 35's with 4.6 gears.
Interested, very interested. :)
Noted :)

sounds interesting
Noted!

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I might be interested in upgrading my turbo mate.
Thanks.

Absolutely I'm interested mate.
Is this the same one that's in your Ute now? Cause that thing is an animal!!
Yeh same turbo! Chalk and cheese really!

I'd be interested depending on cost .
Excellent. Will look into costing once we get a bit more interest.

Id be very keen as im in need of a new turbo and some more power
Power shmower! It's all about the torque baby!!!
Ok, so it will still make OK power for a 28 year old TD ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Interested!
Especially if is a bolt straight in, how well would this setup work without an intercooler?

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,843 Posts
Depends on the tune really but let's it really starts moving at 1600rpm and up.

Looking at around $1200 if I can get the dumps made up for the right price but I will confirm it all if we get the numbers. 10 should do it.

I assume you mean maximum torque - depending on tune it should make 300nm+ from 1800rpm.

Expect 360nm with good intercooler, 16psi and good tune.

Definitely alot better. It will hold 90 pulling hills with a car trailer and a patrol on it in 4th.
That's on 35's with 4.6 gears.

Cheers Landy.
Yeah I did mean max torque.
$1200 seems like a pretty good price, Definitely something to look into when I drop the diesel in the shorty.
360nm! Big improvement over standard. Sounds like a really good setup you have.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interested!
Especially if is a bolt straight in, how well would this setup work without an intercooler?
There will be some minor modifications required.
I have a wagon that is 100% stock that I can make a kit for that is pretty much bolt on using standard air box and turbo piping. If extra parts like silicone hose and aluminium tube is needed I will include it all and just adjust price .

It will be a good improvement over stock even without an intercooler.

I wouldn't run any more than 10psi though. EGT gauge is a must.

I am thinking of including an Auber Instruments EGT gauge in the kit too. This will mean the dump pipe will come with the EGT bung welded in and ready to go.

Disclaimer: Not looking to make any money on this deal. I am satisfied with the results and thought it was time to share it and offer it as a group buy kit.

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,262 Posts
For those who are at all worried about what this is turbo will like over factory item, don't be.
I have been chatting to Cody about this turbo and others and I have driven his ute. Driveability is very much improved with his setup. and have seen him blitz my brothers td42t wagon.

I'm still keen dude, But just need to find out about my new job, Hours worked and pay rate etc etc and sort the suspension mods out.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With this setup landy wherabouts do you think the egts will be sitting?
I see 260-280 degrees at 100km/h in 5th on the flat, boost at 11-12psi.

I struggle to pass 550 at WOT loaded in 5th even with the wastegate wide open. (Full boost)
Wastegate gasses are much hotter than the gasses that pass through the turbine.

Waiting for a AFR gauge to do some logging with too but that isn't a huge point.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For those who are at all worried about what this is turbo will like over factory item, don't be.
I have been chatting to Cody about this turbo and others and I have driven his ute. Driveability is very much improved with his setup. and have seen him blitz my brothers td42t wagon.

I'm still keen dude, But just need to find out about my new job, Hours worked and pay rate etc etc and sort the suspension mods out.
This is better again, surge has been eliminated by using a larger compressor cover and upgraded to a billet compressor wheel.

All good dude, see if this group buy gains momentum and then see where we are at. I'm going to use one of the first 4 that are coming to make the kits.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts