Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm looking for peoples opinion's on what turbo would be a good choice to swap out the HT 15 for. And why? My rig is a 1984 Lwb 5 speed SD33t with just 300000 km.
I'm looking for a strong reliable rig for low rang 4x4ing I'm not after a rocket on the black top.
I'm handy with mig, tig, metal fabrication so flange mods,adaptor,dumps, exhaust is no problem.

Thanks all

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,289 Posts
the newbies found the search option. well done.

Yeah this thread above is very good, If you want the perfect tur-bro check this out. Landy's a nice guy and wealth of info when it comes to tuning these old girls.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you I had read that one a few times :)
There are also a few about the "disco spud" turbo. From what I have read I think smaller turbo like the 2052 or even the 2052v would most suite my needs but not sure how to work the 2052v. However I have a lot more reading to do and was l seeing if I may have missed any other good options.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,016 Posts
As long as the engine is still fairly healthy then bolting a bigger turbo to it won't worry it as long as you're sensible about it.
Obviously if it's a tired engine (low compression, using oil etc) then you won't get the full advantages of an upgrade and you may accelerate its decline. But if it doesn't use oil, has good compression and has been well looked after, then she'll be apples.

Mine has just under 400,000km on it, but that wouldn't stop me.

Plus, it's too hard to find an SD with under 300,000km on it, most are well over. :p

·
Registered
Nissan
171 Posts
Is the Oem ht15 shot or damaged ??

I found with a well made 3inch dump 12lbs of boost i did ( intercool it also ) the Ht 15 provided great all round power and sounded wicked .

I had a leaking / blown exhaust gasket so while it was off ..performed some little mods and it loved it .Total reliability i couldnt fault it good on fuel , awsum down low / mid grunt .

Just 2c if you havent .

·
Registered
nissan
1,167 Posts
The HT-15's are a bloody tough old turbo. The only thing that will kill them is running too much boost through them. I have a 500,000km wagon here with original turbo and it is in excellent condition.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you gents. My turbo is working great. I was told I had to put a new muffler on for a rwc. So me being me thought I had better take it off at the dump pipe and check out the whole exhaust system. But that was not happening so I removed it from turbo back. After bashing everything from my head to my toes it was all out. From the bottom of the dump to the tail pipe muffler and all was one piece. Any way cut a long story short the exhaust and dump looked to be very restrictive. So I got a new larger system :) I'm knocking up a new custom dump pipe at the moment. Also took advantage of having the exhaust system off and sussed out the turbo and it is all in top shape so I'm going to stick with the HT15 till I have found the right turbo at the right price. I got my hands on a cooler today at a good price so with new dump,exhaust system and cooler I may not even want to change my turbo:cool: I got my egt gauge and pyrometer in the mail yesterday so that will be handy.

P's she sure dose whistle with no piping at all after the turbo :razz:

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,016 Posts
Standard exhaust is very restrictive as you've found out!
I'm currently running just a dump pipe and the engine is much more responsive, most noticeable at idle where the engine was rather slow to build revs with the standard exhaust. A new exhaust system and dump will help even more again, 3" is a good size.

·
Registered
nissan
6 Posts
Standard exhaust is very restrictive as you've found out!
I'm currently running just a dump pipe and the engine is much more responsive, most noticeable at idle where the engine was rather slow to build revs with the standard exhaust. A new exhaust system and dump will help even more again, 3" is a good size.
i've noticed this with mine, i was starting to think the turbo was on the way out, it seams to take ages to spool ( tacho is shot and i dont have a boost Gauge so i cant really tell, its more by feel) when i get time ill pull the intake off and see if its got much shaft play but sounds like i should look in to a 3" system :confused:

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,016 Posts
i've noticed this with mine, i was starting to think the turbo was on the way out, it seams to take ages to spool ( tacho is shot and i dont have a boost Gauge so i cant really tell, its more by feel) when i get time ill pull the intake off and see if its got much shaft play but sounds like i should look in to a 3" system :confused:
Both of my SD's have behaved in a similar way, one was slightly better due to a less restrictive muffler but there was still an appreciable delay in free revving.
If you feel like an experiment rip the exhaust off from the dump and take it for a drive, it's quite loud, particularly under heavy acceleration, but the engine is more responsive despite the restrictive dump (see 4x4tribe's photo). It really shows how much the standard exhaust strangles the engine.

Reactions: buck90

·
Registered
Nissan
171 Posts
If you haven't made a 3 inch dumpy ...for your sd33t your missin out

Remove your Oem pressure relief valve / ditch the Oem main filter and plumb up to your Prefilter ( making sure it is clean and tidy ) + bang on an aftermarket snorkel .

Bob;s your uncle .....:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts