Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Service over the weekend, checked the intercooler fan operation and notice there is a fair amount of air spill out thru the gap between the intercooler shroud and the intercooler.

So manufactured a rubber seal and installed, removed the fan and took GU for a run.

Interesting.... EGT's were approx. 30 degrees lower than when the fan was installed.
2004 DI fan installed EGT 290-300 @ 10 psi boost @ 100 kph.
Fan removed and seal fitted EGT 250-260 @ 8-9 psi @ 100 kph.

Interesting.... maybe the fan was a restriction or the intercooler, thru the fins airflow rate is such that with a gap air just spills out thru the gaps. Sealing the gap forces more cooling air thru the intercooler finning.

Now to see results while towing a caravan.

Now to add some vortex generators and see if further ran air makes much of a difference.

My 2 bobs worth

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Knowing my luck the foam would melt on the intercooler, blocking it up even more..

:)

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Knowing my luck the foam would melt on the intercooler, blocking it up even more..

:)
Thanks for the tip -- however I should have mentioned I have a bit of silicone based rubber so melting should not be a problem

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Thanks for the tip -- however I should have mentioned I have a bit of silicone based rubber so melting should not be a problem
Cool. I'm still paying off the import duties on the barrel of dipathane that I'm trying to get in haha.

I might even look at either fixing my fan so it doesn't rattle, or finding a new fan that's the same size and doesn't rattle.. now that summer is on its way. About time I lent on the radiator overflow spiggot again too !

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
This brings back a memory of seeing on the ase intercooler website where it states using tape to seal the corner gaps. Something like 15% increase in ic effecientcy.
Is this what they are reffering to?

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Caravan on back ... basically no difference to having the cooling fan employed.
Takes about 2 minutes more for EGT to reduce to 200 Deg C prior to shut down.

Either the fan set up was RS or sealing is equal to having a fan same as I had fitted.

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
Good work mate. I have the bigger scoop from ARE and it definitely makes a big difference in forcing more air through.

But I recently had some paint-work repairs and took the scoop and rubber seal off. When it was replaced by the pannel-beater, they chucked out my bits of foam rubber seal that I had up in the corners of the scoop. I think it also leaks quite a bit of air up in the bonnet scoop front and rear corners. I think this is the area that ARE were saying to also seal up for better efficiency.

I have chucked that top plastic cover away, so I could space the bigger intercooler up higher off the motor for more air flow room, but I do also have foam like you have around the top of the intercooler where the bonnet rubber seals. So it all helps force more air through.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
effect of sealing intercooler

Well, have just arrived back from a 7134 klm trip to South Australia, towing a caravan and ripping up Mount Lofty to Littlehampton then onto Strathalbyn.

With fan removed and the intercooler shroud sealed with some silicone rubber I observed the following.

At 95 kph temps etc were about the same as when the fan was fitted.
During shut down cool down to 200 D C took a bit longer.

I suspect the Fleabay fan system I had fitted actually created an air path obstruction when vehicle was cruising at 95 K's.

Fuel consumption was much the same as when fan was fitted.

So I am leaving the fan on the bench........maybe try a fan again (one day) if a very hi-flow unit becomes available..

Just an update on something I did to me Patrol

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
Yes having a fan on top definitely slows air flow at speed. Having it under is not such a restriction, but you have to space the intercooler up a bit to make space under.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
Yes having a fan on top definitely slows air flow at speed. Having it under is not such a restriction, but you have to space the intercooler up a bit to make space under.
Just came across this thread and was going to ask whether his fan was top or under mounted, there have been a lot of threads in the past on the restriction the above fan causes when at high speed where a fan doesn't actually do anything, even my CCIC with under slung fan it has has no impact once you are out on the highway.

But I have always been a firm believer in sealing and therefore reducing spillage around the edges of the IC and making sure the majority of air that enters the scoop is forced through the IC.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Position of fan when fitted.

Hi All,
Didn't mention that the fan was top mounted in the first entry..... thought that would be obvious from the four bolt holes portrayed in the picture of the shroud.

Anyway anyone wishing to know fan was top mounted..

geeyoutoo, good mention about the sealing and effect of fan at high speed..... I agree.

·
Registered
nissan
233 Posts
From experience with an ARE I/c and scoop I agree that sealing is extremely important to good airflow through the I/c. Just from a common-sense aspect, why have the I/c if you are not going to get the best airflow possible through it.

Another point which I have never seen mentioned is actually increasing the size of the opening in the engine cover so that the complete core is open to the airflow. In my case this was quite significant.

Cheers,
Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts