Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just installed some butyl rubber from the rear of the car until just behind the front seats. It was a bit of a mission to make a clean job but I am happy with how it went. Tomorrow I will cut out some mass loaded vinyl to replace the underlay. However, the car has a lot of holes which would let In water in a river crossing. Some of them have bolts in them and some not. A couple seemed to be drilled and not tapped. Also where you see the yellow tape in the picture the are long oval holes which I don’t know why they are there.

Question: are some of the holes important? Can I just plug them somehow? I am thinking either rubber grommets and silicone or screws with as flat heads a possible.

Some of the holes got some serious bolts in them which makes making a flat surface harder. I am building a floor so I can put a storage solution in.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Engineering Audio equipment Computer hardware Auto part Metal

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,692 Posts
Although not completely unseen, Nissan rarely puts a screw/bolt in a hole to plug it. Even if there is a weld nut on the hole, it is normally filled with a plastic plug, not a screw. Before randomly pulling screws out of holes, make 100% sure there isn’t a reason for it being there.

Bigger holes without threads are generally drain holes required during the painting process. The majority of vehicles built after the 70s most likely went through a number of dipping processes prior to painting, e.g. rinse, phosphate, e-coat, galvanising etc. These holes can be plugged or covered without any issues.

Some smaller holes are also used for jigging during weld assembly.

Be mindful however that some might be access holes to get into hard to reach places.

Just use some common sense. If you can’t see an obvious reason why the hole is there, chances are you can plug it (assuming it’s not already plugged.)

·
Registered
nissan
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might be better off leaving them open to let water drain out if your planning on doing some deep water crossings?
I would rather water or humidity not getting in in the first place. However if water did enter I would remove all interior to dry. This is one of the reasons I am installing mass loaded. Only instead of the stock underlay. It won’t hold water. Also dust is another problem.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,692 Posts
You might be better off leaving them open to let water drain out if your planning on doing some deep water crossings?
That’s why there are rubber/plastic plugs in some of the holes. You can pull them out to let water out, but have them in during normal use to minimise dust and water entry.

I’ve noticed a couple of spots on my GU where holes were simply covered ex-factory with good quality duct tape. Can’t see any reason why this wouldn’t be good enough for holes underneath the carpet/mat. The floor covering will keep it in place.

·
Registered
nissan
797 Posts
Yeah dust sucks. It will be near impossible to stop water though as it comes up through the drains in the sill panels, then as soon as its above the sills it can enter the cab through all the joins in the panels.

·
Registered
nissan
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up using grub screws and some blue thread lock for the holes that I didn’t use. The child seat restraint holes where imperial so I ended up using a rubber grommet some some tape. Same with those oval holes near the doors that had yellow tape over them. Carpet and MLV in installed and no obvious holes for water or dust to enter. Should be good in the end. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts