Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guys
I have just had to replace my starter motor on my GQ. When I removed the starter I found that someone has at some point used a fair old smear of silicone sealant on the flange of the motor. Obviously this was to seal it up but is it necessasry? I was in a hurry so just heaved it all back together dry but if it is a good plan I would pull it and seal it again.
And a handy hint-if you are vertically challenged or don't possess superhumanly long arms that can reach to the bottom starter bolt-take off the spare and stand on it! I am 5' 9" and even tho I did manage to weasel the bolts out it was nigh on impossible to get them back in standing on the ground. By standing on the spare I got just enough lift that I could reach in but wasn't so high that the bonnet became an obstacle.

·
Registered
nissan
498 Posts
Hey Mate, I've never sealed mine up but will be interesting to hear others opinions.
I'm a big fan of the common milk crate myself, with 3" spring and 2" body lift on 33's I have no hope of getting to things in my engine bay without one!

·
Registered
nissan
54 Posts
After seeing the guts of me old starter and why it eventually failed i definitely sealed it back in this time

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey fellas, just made a post about this on Facebook and the feedback I got from some of the local gurus was this.
The manual calls for the starter to be sealed with either RTV or Aviation sealant.
I've just learnt the hard way destroying a brand new off the shelf $300 starter and solenoid.
( Went out to toolangi and a month later found that the pinion gear is stuck with mud and grease )

You can take the back off these bad boys and clean the inside copper components brushes and shaft cylinder all with brake cleaner and leave them to dry out this will likely fix your problem.

*I called my local parts guy to ask about returning it or if I undergo a clean and he said "they own the company that makes the starter and they would much prefer send it back to assess the fault. Worked out for me! Hope this helps

·
Registered
nissan
148 Posts
I thought most owners seal up the starter to stop it getting caked between oil changes...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts