1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
seans gu wagon - more parts ordered

Howdy all,

Thought i better get a thread up for my new wagon seen as how i never had one for my old coil cab

So where do i start, i had a 2000 gu coil cab, big lift, wheels, bb turbo yada yada and decided i needed more seats for the growing family so i sold that and bought a d40 navara which i thought would suffice and fill my off roading needs

Got the big nav and put a calmini lift and tuff dog struts to get a total of 5" lift out of it, some 18" bling with 33" atz 4 ribs , nissan whinch bar, colour coded it and put some hid lights on it and decided as good as it is, i mean really good, its not a patrol!!!!

So the decision was made, keep the nav as a daily driver and find a toy, the hunt was on and i found a
2001 zd30 5 sp wagon and like all good zd 30's it had gone pop!!!

Its had a bit of a hard life with more than its fair share of battle scars and i dont think the previous owner knew what polish was, its faded to buggery!!

it got broken into while it was sitting around but luckily they didnt take anything from it, they just dented all 5 doors trying to get in and then smashed the rear barn door window

Long story short, previous owner paid 25000 for it from a cop in darwin, popped the donk and left it sitting around for 8 months rotting and i causght wind of it and scruffed it for the awesome some of $5500!!!!

So the game plan, strip it of all things zd and replace it with a big boost sucking fuel drinking td42 with an auto, tube front bar, millweld rear bar with tyre carriers, draws, roof console, etc etc etc you know all the usual mods

Started gathering some parts for the build, got a motor for it, stripped it only to find out the crank is beyond buggered so now im on the hunt for a good crankshaft

Got my fox shocks for the front and just gotta order the rears, got some 5" dobinsons springs from suspensions stuff, outback ideas recovery points, superior engineering diff brace it, pivot overhaul kit

Work done so far, just about stripped every thing out of the engine bay i dont need or want, got the old whinch bar off, the rear bar and started taking out the old suspension ready for the new stuff

Any way, ill update this as i go, there are some pics in my garage and ill try and get more up soon

Enjoy!!

Cheers sean

Attachments

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate,

You and me both, here are a few photos of my phone to show some before and afters with a small amount of buffing ive done so far

Attachments

·
Registered
Nissan
338 Posts
Holy FK,

Please man, I'll send you money to your account, just tell us how you did it. What brand of polish you used, techniques.

Make another Polish DIY thread or something. Thats amazing stuff

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha no money needed mate,

i just used a cheapy buffer with a course pad i bought from repco and as for the polish, so far the only thing ive used is good old repo red

above and beyond any other product ive used this is hands down the best for cutting compound

So far i havent actually polished it as such with a wax or any thing, its just a straight cut job, cant wait to see it when i put the shiney enhancer polishes on it

When it comes time to do that you need to use a very soft fine pad and just keep the speed on the buffer down so you dont burn the paint

Attachments

·
Registered
Nissan
338 Posts
REPO, will definetly give that a shot. I remember at the stores it was only like 15bux or something, cheaper than the big brands. But never knew that it'll do that kind of a job,

thanks for saving me cash, much apprciated.

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yep cant wait to have an auto behind it, ive done it once but the box didnt last long because it wasnt built right and then the stall stuffed up and buggered it but while it was going it was bloody awesome!!!

here are a couple more pics with some more bits pulled off and thought id chuck one of the nav up to for any one thats interested

cheers sean

Attachments

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Small upadate,

Got the front end pulled apart over the weekend to start o the pivot over haul and weld the brace kit to the diff, got some drop boxes coming too so hopfully have it all back together with the new sprngs in by next weekend

next up will be the rear end then start making mounts for the foxies

Turbo is being shipped as we speak, the manual valve bodie is built, the stall is getting built as we speak and should hopfully get shipped out soon

Got pump parts being shipped from all over the world at the moment to have my pump built

Got a engine rebuild kit last week, should send the engine off to the shop soon to get the block dipped and new liners installed then me and a good mate will start screwing the bottom end together while i save some more money to start on the cyl head

ill post more as it happens

cheers sean

Attachments

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
small update

Hi all, got a slight update for you all, hopefully photos soon to follow

Got all the fox shocks now (2" remote res 12" travel upgraded with external compression adjusters), the manual valve body for the auto,the custom low stall convertor, manual tc lock up kit, all the coils, the bad boy jpc turbo, all the parts to have my nutso 12mm headed pump built

The brace kit is welded on the front diff and ive finally slung it back under the car so now its sitting on the new springs, just gotta do the pivot overhaul so i can finish assembling the diff

picked up 4 brand spankers 315x75 x 16 wranhler mtr kevlars for a total song, some snoozer bought them for his 100 series, decided he wanted 37's, sold emto me and then found out he couldnt get 37's until after christmas so tried to buy them back, no way champo

Going to get my rims sand blasted to clean them up and re paint the inner bits

Hopefully by tonight it will be sitting on the new rear springs and get the rear shocks in so then i can start fabbing up the front shock mounts

And the big one, sent the engine off, just had it acid dipped, all new welsh plugs, brand new liners and honed, turbo pistons fitted with new little end bushes, new cam bearings fitted, crank regound and all the rods resized and honed, so now its sits in my mates shed waiting for the new big end and main bearings to show up so he can assemble the botom end for me

Had the head dipped and crack tested, it got the all clear except the 14 thou warp in it it !!!! :(

they seem to think they can get it out but gotta wait until the bottom end is together to make sure the pistons dont protrude at all after the blocks been decked becuase i dont want to raise the comp ratio too much as the plan is to run about 30psi boost and if i have to back it down it makes the turbo i just bought no where near as efficient cause its been built to pump big air!!

If not she'll be a new head jobbie but i hope not becuase ive already spent enough money on the damn thing!!

Well that should do for a bit, will try and get some new photos up soon

Cheers sean

·
Registered
72 Posts
Oeeerrr this is gonna be awesome :) Ive seen some of these on you tube form Dubai and they make some serious power with a turbo.

Being able to smoke 35 inch tyres doing 100 ks on the freeway.........now that would be fun :)

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
30 psi boost sounds like fun!

good luck so far, i can't wait till its all done :D

Thanks mate, 30psi should be awesome!!!

Oeeerrr this is gonna be awesome :) Ive seen some of these on you tube form Dubai and they make some serious power with a turbo.

Being able to smoke 35 inch tyres doing 100 ks on the freeway.........now that would be fun :)
Thing is the vids on you tube is of petrols, mines a diesel, not quite as easy to make big power like that in a diesel but a lot more fun trying!!!

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, progress!!

Had a good weekend on the bus, the wife was busy most of the weekend so it gave me plenty of time to get some work done so.....

got Some steam pipe reduceers for coil drop out cones,

got them welded in, just!!! laying on your back on the shed floor is not easy

got the rear springs and shocks in

i mounted the resevoirs on the fuel tank cross member, not entirely happy with that especillay as i have externally adjusted shocks and i cant reach the adjusters so im still toying with different ideas

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the front diff is back in, with the springs, and just sat a shock in to start and work out the top mounts

also had my rims sand blasted last week, gave on a light sand and paint just to see what the would look like

before

after blasting

after painting

and heres some of my new mtr kevlars, 315x75x16

Started on some slim line sliders too, will put som photos up of them when there done

enjoy

cheers sean

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys, it slowly getting there!! pity it wouldnt happen faster, i just want to go wheeling again and the navara doesnt do it for me!!

Well the word on the head is its gone to cyl head heaven so in the new year when the money is there a new head will be ordered

At least now i have a head i can practice drilling for the coolant rail mod so its going to get a run through the band saw to open it up!!

Stopped in at my mates place who is doing the engine work for me last night and we also made the call to send the whole bottom end off and have it balanced while its apart so that will get organised to go early in the new year

Heres a couple of pics of the machined up bottom end, could be buggered un wrapping the crank and rods to take photos

cheers agian fellas

·
Registered
nissan patrol
23 Posts
Great thread lots of detail!
I'm very interested to hear your feedback on the two cars.
I've currently got a d40 navara too (looks pretty similar to yours actually) which is great as a daily, nice handling and lots of power but obviously struggles on anything serious offroad. So plan is to sell that and get a GU.

My questions are
-how's the ride/feel compare between the two? My mates told me the GU handles like crap in comparison...
-have you taken the navara off road since you lifted it? How'd it go?
-you mention that the Navy jut didn't do it for you off road. Can you elaborate?

Cheers, John

1 - 20 of 46 Posts