Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gday all,

Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with second batteries not lasting the distance? i purchased a Well Known brand cranking and deep cycle battery (700cca or 105AH) about two years ago when i brought my new patrol. about 6 months ago the winch stopped working which i assumed was a problem with the winch but after testing me second battery over the weekend it had dropped a cell! (showing 10.3 volts and a green 'OK" indicatior). the worst thing is its just out of warranty and the battery blokes wont swap it over. the ONLY time i had something running off the battery was using the winch once and the driving lights, and there were no faults (short circuits) to create any problems with the battery. I also tested the dual battery isloator and its all good (14.8V with engine running). The guy at the battery shop suggested i dont run my fridge for 4 days straight off it without putting it on charge, but i dont get it? i dont own a fridge! I think he just didnt want to deal with me.

What is the common problem causing a dropped cell in 12v batteries? apart from overdrawing them? and can anyone suggest a decent size deep cycle battery that will last long time? i wont be buying the same brand battery again, for any of my cars. Ive had an old bosh truck and farm in a GQ for 6 years now and its still going strong. Paid 180 bucks for it. and i shell out 270 bucks for this deep cycle/cranking battery and i get only 18 months?

Any info is a big help!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hi and thanks Paul.

Hi Silver, can you give a little more detail about how you used the battery, like did you discharge the battery down to a low state at any time and, I’m not sure if you used the deep cycle battery while winching, if so that is most likely the cause of your battery’s early demise.

It’s an absolute NO NO to use a deep cycle battery for cranking, they just can’t supply the high currents needed without being damaged.

Even if your only going to winch once a year, if you want to use your auxiliary battery while winching, it MUST BE an other cranking battery.

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
sounds to me like it has just dropped a cell , it happens, i know of some trojan batteries dont seem to last very long , one as a 2nd battery in a car and the other hooked up to a solar system both had minimal loads when used and both crapped themselves very early in there life

·
Registered
nissan
143 Posts
Batteries have a date code/stamp put onto then at the time of supply. This code is when the battery wholesailer sells them on to the shops. Sometimes this can be a couple of months out and if so the shop should honor when you bought it not when the shop was supplied it (not sure if it applies but may be worth a look). I agree though using a deep cycle battery for high load situations causes the plates in the battery to heat and warp (and eventually fail) which they are not designed and this is certainly why it has dropped a cell.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, im just going to name names, its just easlier. im not saying that there is anything wrong with these products/companies but this is just my experience with them.

Car was brought new in 2008 via an agent, which was then sent over to tjm who installed a dual battery system (rotronics brand-big blue box-) with a supercharge allrounder cranking/deepcycle battery (700cca AND 105ah). they also installed driving lights (ipf9000's), winch (t-max 9000lbs) and a fridge point in the back. all Extras were run from the second battery, thats just the way they did it.

Since owning the car, ive used ONLY the winch once and driving lights frequently. fridge point hasnt been used and wouldnt of worked anyway because they failed to crimp the negative terminal sufficiently to create a connection, hence the socket not working. (figured that out the same time i tested the battery)

So my first question is why would a battery just "drop" a cell? i didnt discharge it enough to cause damage (the only time the winch was used the engine was running and idle up was in the on position), i havent had any prolonged drain on the battery and ive checked the isolator and it all works and charges the battery. as It is an "allrounder" ie cranking and deepcycle, the battery in more then capable of running the winch. otherwise why would they suggest that it could be used as a starting battery and class is as an allrounder? (allthough that piece of information was given to me buy the local battery man....who also said i could run a winch off a deep cycle AND blamed me for running my non-existant fridge for too long on the battery, causing the dropped cell.)

I first noticed the winch not working about 18 months into owning the car which i thought was a buggered winch but i now know the battery is to blame, classic signs of a battery with a dropped cell. winch would only work for about 5 seconds then id have to wait for 30 seconds with the engine running to be able to winch for another 5 seconds = winch just running off the surface charge the alternator was putting into the battery.

Ive been looking at optima batteries which leads me to my second question. Are the optima batteries really worth it? for the price of the one i have in mind, i can buy two deep cycles and run a tripple battery setup and run the winch off the standard cranking battery. are there any other decent deep cycles out there apart from optima?

·
Registered
154 Posts
tjm should not have connected the winch to a deep cycle battery.
pulling high current through the cells has the chance of shorting two plates together and rooting the battery. most likely what has happened here.
move the winch positive on to the cranking battery and replace the deep cycle with a new one. only run low draw stuff of the deep cycle ie fridges lights, cb, radio.
only crank of the deep cycle in an absolute emergency (does your kit have a link overide switch) as it will destroy the insides of it.

·
Registered
Nissan
526 Posts
I dont think the allrounders are a particularly good battery. Mine lasted about 2 years with only a minimal amount of work as a second battery running the fridge and a few lights etc. As far as I can recall it was only deeply discharged once in its life. When I replaced it the auto electrician commented negatively on their quality as well.
Have a look at this link for some info on batteries:
auxiliary battery comparo, what's on YOUR wishlist? @ ExplorOz Blogs

·
Registered
Nissan
22 Posts
Also had an 'allrounder' lasted 14 months, but did run the 80lt Engel 24/7 ! 240volt at night and recharched with a cheap single stage charger about 3 times a week. Admittedly drained it way below 10volts, more than a few times! Couldn't expect it to last with that abuse!

Now trying a "marine" battery (also supposed to be 'hybrid' = crank & deep-cycle) but now have a low voltage cutout (Engel) and 7 stage charger, still run the Engel all the time & run/charge @ night!
Did lots of research before buying again!
They are not made to last, max 12 month warranty on deep-cycles!!
Not sure how the marine batteries would cope with a winch though?
Good luck!

·
Registered
nissan
207 Posts
Maybe not much help in this case but wanted to give a heads up for others with dual battery set ups............I found that where the second battery is located it is exposed to considerably more heat that the main battery and I noticed that water levels had to be topped up much more frequently that the main battery. I assume this was not the cause in your case but some may find this hint helpful.:D I also realise that some batteries are sealed etc etc...
Finally, my second battery is a Century 4WD ....supposedly has better cushining so the plates dont vibrate together and drop a cell.............maybe marketing B/S but it has been going well for +2 years so far............

Cheers
Anthony

·
Registered
nissan patrol
6 Posts
I have similar problem, Put second battery in my GU early december last year using basic solenoid and n70zz4wd battery. Second battery only runs 80l waeco and rear spotlights, fridge only on when we go away. First battery lasted till june this year, second one till early december, always checked alternator tested ok. fitted another alternator anyway before fitting the third battery only two weeks ago, green indicator gone already. i used large cable for battery leads. Ready to pull the whole lot out and give up surely i'm not that unlucky to get three dud batteries. Any ideas guys....

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Get yourself a proper dual battery system and a deep cycle battery, and all should be good. Try to keep the second battery away from heat if possible.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
I have Supercharge in the GU, they didnt last much more than 2.

Going back to Exide Extremes.. had them in the GQ for years without fail, sold it with them and were still going strong.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
Heat smashes the wet cells in a GU. Unfortunately its too close to the exhaust/turbo. Best bet is to run an AGM type battery like redback thumper in the rear with a decent isolator.

A good idea is booty fab up a heat shield around the second battery on the GU, pasenger side.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Going back to Exide Extremes.. had them in the GQ for years without fail, sold it with them and were still going strong.
I went through an Exide Extreme in the GQ in 14 months! Then again I left my fridge on a couple of times which would have rooted it a lot quicker.

Optimas yellow tops all the way now! You can abuse $hit outta them and they bounce back no problems!

FYI it's not the first time I have heard of TJM wiring heavy current applications like winches to deep cycle batteries either.

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
my last battery was a superjunk special , (whatever they use) , lasted 5 years , actually it was still going but the volts would drop down to 12.4 after a couple of days and seemed a bit sluggish to start

1 - 16 of 16 Posts