Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally getting round to installing a dual battery system I've got everything but a battery was just wondering what people's opinions are on the best types

09 GU Patrol standard

88 VX Sahara twin locked on 35's & lifted

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
I have optima yellow tops as they suit my needs. It all depends on your type of use, eg. how long do you go away for? are you likely to sit in the one spot for many days or do you drive most days? What sort of accessories are you using, fridge sizes etc. Are you likely to want to use your second battery as a start battery at some stage, eg winching or jumpstarting?

I'm no expert but these are just some of the things you may need to consider, for instance I would generally go away for a weekend or out to a week. But I would be driving most days so the batteries would get charged up again, the yellow tops charge back quite quick, whereas a deep cycle would take a lot longer. I have a 40l engel, arb compressor and some other basic 4by accessories, nothing too huge which would need a large battery capacity, but a standard starting battery just doesn't have the amp/hours that I wanted. I have a optima D34 (55a/h) as my start battery (over 5 years old and still working) and just got a D31 (75 a/h) for my auxiliary. If and when the D34 dies, I'll replace it with another D31.

They are a fair bit dearer than a standard N70 but do have a larger a/h and also come with the CCA for dual purpose starting/winching and capacity. Also I have had an exide N70 die pretty quick under the bonnet and am yet to kill the optima in both main and aux battery locations.

If you go away for a week and sit in the one spot I would definitely be looking at deep cycle and solar, also if you are running 2 large fridges or other heavy drain accessories where you would need capacity.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh prob off Monday to get a battery it's only going to be used for running fridge compressor and camp lighting

09 GU Patrol standard

88 VX Sahara twin locked on 35's & lifted

·
Registered
Nissan
92 Posts
Optima

Yeah I have an Optima Blue. It has the 2 main terminals + and - and it also has 2 smaller additional + and - terminals.

The smaller ones are threaded and easy to undo the nut and pop on a new electrical item.

Optima batteries are AGM (All Glass Matt) batteries. No liqiud to worry about, can be mounted in any direction, are deep draw, vibration proof/resistant and can handle alot of gear.

If you dont use your vehicle for awhile the blue ones can also sit there (disconnected) and be recharge after months of not being used and perfect again.

Most emergency and military services use them.

I've had mine for 3 years now and it's still going strong.

I run nearly everything off the second battery (optima) and leave the 1st battery for starting the vehicle.

Regards Ed.

·
Registered
596 Posts
If your pockets are deep enough you wont beat Odyssey batteries:punkrock:

Might be over kill though, but you don't want to go in under gunned;)

·
Registered
Nissan
92 Posts
Great Info

Thats why I love sites like this. There's always someone who knows and provides access to cool stuff. I never heard of Odyssey before but now I want one.:cheers:

·
Registered
nissan patrol
358 Posts
I have just put in a Fullriver 105amp. Cost around $300 but performing beautifully. It's a heavy bugger compared to the other battery I dumped.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts

Do Odyssey do deep cycle or hybrid type batteries suitable for accessories etc. I have only heard of them for small but high cranking capacity like in race cars etc.

I have two of the Optima Blue top for cranking and dual battery under the bonet that both link to the winch. Then I have another big Optima Yellow top in the back for the fridge.

·
Registered
596 Posts
geordie4x4, I think they do, never looked into it, seeing as I am yet to see a battery come with in a bulls roar of their specs:eek:

Odyssey Batteries - Odyssey Batteries

Should be something there for you:cool: , don't buy through them though, as you will find them cheaper;)

keanie, yep I currently have a Fullriver in mine, second choice for me, BUT Fullriver got in heaps of ****, because they basically copied the Odyssey batteries, right down to there numbering system :doh:

Will be putting the Fullriver in the back and getting a Odyssey PC1700MJT , for starting\winching dutys:cool:

·
Registered
nissan
196 Posts
I have an N70 as my main and the below as my Secondary.
A Lifeline GPL-31T

As it's mainly for the camping situation I wanted the A/h instead of the CCA...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts