Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am wiring my Redarc second battery system and have a couple of questions.

The redarc manual specifies the solenoid should be mounted next to the start battery, there is more room next to the second battery location, is it OK to mount next to the second battery?

The manual doesn’t mention if the start battery should be disconnected when wiring the two batteries, is this required? I will be installing 2 x 60 amp fuses at the positive points of the battery.

Where is the easiest/best location to connect the earth for the second battery?

Thanks

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hi puck, while it is recommended that any VSR type isolator be mounted as close as practical to the cranking battery, if you need to mount the isolator near the other battery you can but just be aware that the further an isolator is located from the cranking battery, the less accurate the “Cut-Out” voltage setting is.

This is still not a major problem unless you use thin cable and even then, it will just mean the isolator will cut out at a higher voltage than it is intended too.

NOTE the cut-in voltage setting is normally unaffected.

When installing any dual battery system, the negative cables on all batteries in the set up should be disconnected and left that way until all other parts of the installation are finished and then the battery mags should be the last connections made.

By having all the battery negatives disconnected, if you drop a positive cable or short a positive cable during the installation, nothing will happen.

The negative on the auxiliary battery, when the auxiliary battery is mounted in the engine bay, can usually be earthed to any decent sized bolt fixed to the chassis, but if your not sure, then run a cable, the same size as the positive, from the auxiliary batteries neg terminal to the cranking batteries neg terminal and then you know you have a proper neg return.

·
Registered
nissan
23 Posts
Hi Puck, I am currently doing the same - installing dual battery with redarc isolator - I note you are using 60 amp fuses on the +. I had thought 100 AMP fuses were needed ? I am not electrically minded so I only ask for clarifiction.

I would also like to know where you are running cables from auxiliary battery through firewall into cabin.

Thanks

·
Registered
nissan
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Goldifox

I am not going to use the second battery as a starting battery, I will carry a set of jumper leads if needed for this. This way I can reduce my cabling requirement down to 6B&S, reduced fuses to 60AMP. I have limited electrical knowledge too however this is what I have read and the manual indicates.

I ran a cable through the firewall using the very large factory grommet behind the ABS module on the passanger side. I removed the factory sticky tape and fed the cable through with the existing cables, was tricky and hard to get my hand in the correct location as the ABS module is right in the way. Took it slowly and got their eventually.
I then poked a very small hole through the top of the grommet for my UHF cable. I couldn’t fit any more through with the existing cables. And to the left of the grommet there is another small hole with a black cap on it, I used this with a grommet I purchased for the negative.
Thanks

·
Registered
nissan
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Drivesafe

Thanks for the info, I could probably mount next to the starting battery, might need to make up a small bracket. There is a location near the break drum.

I am using 6B&S cabling.

OK thanks I will ensure I disconnect all negs before connecting. Is it best to connect the starting battery first then the second battery when wiring is complete?

Can I use the existing negative that the starting battery is connected to for the start motor? Its close I can easily attach to this?

Thanks

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
The negative on the auxiliary battery, when the auxiliary battery is mounted in the engine bay, can usually be earthed to any decent sized bolt fixed to the chassis, but if your not sure, then run a cable, the same size as the positive, from the auxiliary batteries neg terminal to the cranking batteries neg terminal and then you know you have a proper neg return.
I wouldnlt bolt it to the chassis unless he's sure there is already a good size negative connected to it from the main battery. Most gnd points on a Patrol are all on the body from factory.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Can I use the existing negative that the starting battery is connected to for the start motor? Its close I can easily attach to this?
Hi puck, you can use the same existing negative that the starting battery uses but also take note of sudos post if you decide to use a different location.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hi again puck and I forgot to mention that because your using decent sized cable, the 6B&S, you won’t have much of a voltage drop at your auxiliary battery, even when it’s low, so mount your isolator anywhere you want.

·
Registered
nissan
23 Posts
Hi Puck,Drivesafe & Sudso,
Thanks for all the great input, much appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts