• Other

Votes: 41 10.6%
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's pretty obvious which type of 4wd most of us prefer. I mean most of us wouldn't come here if the answer wasn't mind numbingly obvious. But what would you do if all partols were removed from the planet. Would you turn to the Darkside :naughty: or would you take a totally different approach.

Which would you chose?

Why would you chose it?

I know i couln't just give it all up, would you?

Let the aruments and name calling begin :evillaug:

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For me it'd be the 100 series cruiser. Just the 1HZ powered. live axle front. stocko speed camera unit. Simple and quite reliable whilst sharing many of the same properties as the patrol. Mods are simple and readily available. I shall now tie my blindfold and present myself to the firing squad.

Crap, i forgot about the 76 series V8 Turbo jobbies. oh well, my wallet isn't that fat anyway. (who am i kidding it isn't "100 series fat" either :lol:)

·
Banned
nissan
117 Posts
80-100 series Landcruiser for me.
I'd even consider trading my 5-litre GQ for one.
8 seats, reliability, decent tourer etc I don't need a comp truck...

·
Registered
nissan
539 Posts
Love the look and function of the LR defender dual cab ute. Would need to spend a lot of time and money making it comfortable and reliable though!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Hmmm, dunno, so didnt vote.
Have no plans now or in the future to sell the GU 4.2.
Nothing on that list really grabs me....
Pommy car? No way.
Newer jeep.... you're joking, right?
Cruiser? My bro has one, and its destroyed CV's, diffs, and a transfer case. Drives oK on the road, but offroad the driveline is weak.
Paj?, Hi-lux? Blah..... Although both drive OK, i hate the diesel engine rattle from both.

My other current truck is a 84 Jeep chero, 360V8, twin detroits running 37's.......
Big, strong, old school V8, wagon.

I have thought about fully restoring one, but running a Duramax and Alison Auto.... that would be a great all rounder. So maybe if i ever sold the GU, that would be the answer.

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
Jeep for me i just like the look of them better, new or old i dont care.
everything else on that list is a hot steamy smelly grogan turd with an expensive badge on it. 80/100 series cruisers ae SNOT. but i would quite happily have a 60series safari with all the fruit.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi there,

Wife would go for the SWB Pajero with the 3.8L Petrol motor in it. I would love to go drive one some day to see what they are like, but I would expect some serious oomph out of it.

Me, I'm the 79 series cruiser, TDV8 with one turbocharger. Only downside is the cart springs in the back, but we have some new members who have one and it goes great. Again would love to drive.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
New Cruiser "Workmate" or an 80 Series Turbo diesel
Didnt have a Patrol and or didnt need a 4x4
I would go back to the darkside
2" of the ground

Id have my toy Ford XC GS Fairmont V8
If not that id drop a 351 in the XD ute here

·
Registered
nissan
642 Posts
well i am lucky i have in my shed my 2nd choice of 4wd,,, 2010 spain built nissan navara with the 140kw motor,,, so i am a happy with what i got...

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,026 Posts
I still have my classic range rover, 351c, c4, geelong block (better than the mexican m block), 4 bolt mains, 750 holley, dual fuel

in a lot of areas its a better 4wd than my patrols, more solid "feel", a better ride, more capable in low range etc... but the damn thing is a pain in the butt when things go wrong (usually its the pommy electricals) and the fact that I have separate keys for everything, doors, ignition, tailgate, lpg filler, fuel filler are all sep keys. and the damn thing with a 351 is like driving a valiant - ie you get in turn on the ignition and basically watch the fuel gauge head left. if it wasn't dual fuel it would be a pocket killer.

but FMD, the rangie is a billy goat, I've pulled out my fair share of cruiser 80/100's - she's more than able of snuffing out the candle on some of the new gen stuff . no computers to worry about either. it just does the job.

in spite of the browns lane quality control issues, I won't get rid of it as it's still a good vehicle - even today,

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
im not sure why, but i would really like a land rover discovery 3 or 4(i think thats what they are)

jacked up with 35's i dont normally like cars like that but it really appeals to me. ill never be able to afford 1 but :)

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,026 Posts
im not sure why, but i would really like a land rover discovery 3 or 4(i think thats what they are)

jacked up with 35's i dont normally like cars like that but it really appeals to me. ill never be able to afford 1 but :)

IMO 90 Defenders when setup properly are the ducks guts, they're s erious bit of kit.

Disco 3's are also nothing to sneeze at - despite all the gucci kit on them I'd be happy to have one in the driveway and use it as intended.... :)

prior to getting the troll and mav I looked at a couple of disco 2's (assumed that they'd be as good as my rangie as the drivelines are similar). The ones I drove however were a POS. the motors might have been rooted, but they were certainly not playing like V8's - and considering that they were 3.9's (which were a golden mile ahead of the 3.5's) they were gutless. in fact the LWB Mav TB42 I have has over 350k on the clock and its still got more torque and was far better going up the hilly bits on the way to cooma.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,026 Posts

IMO 90 Defenders when setup properly are the ducks guts, they're a serious bit of kit.

Disco 3's are also nothing to sneeze at - despite all the gucci kit on them I'd be happy to have one in the driveway and use it as intended.... :)

prior to getting the troll and mav I looked at a couple of disco 2's (assumed that they'd be as good as my rangie as the drivelines are similar). The ones I drove however were a POS. the motors might have been rooted, but they were certainly not playing like V8's - and considering that they were 3.9's (which were a golden mile ahead of the 3.5's) they were gutless. in fact the LWB Mav TB42 I have has over 350k on the clock and its still got more torque and was far better going up the hilly bits on the way to cooma.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,026 Posts
probably to much weight with all the gizmos, needs a supercharger to push a little boost maybe. are they Jag engines in them??
the 3.9's are bored out 3.5's which were originally a buick small block

they were replaced by BMW engines while under BMW's stewardship, but IIRC the current gens are Ford/Jag motors

they still have production rights for the 3.9's and are building the engines and components as spares and for the rally teams..

must be the only example in recent times of a motor staying in production but not used in production vehicles... :)

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,026 Posts
mmmm, being a small 8 it must rev up pretty quick hey,or is she lazy???
I slotted a 3.5 into an XA falcon and it used to run out to 5200rpm. it had a broad power band of about 1800

the long motor wet weighed less than a short falcon 6 x-flow "dry"

they're a nice motor when looked after. the TB42 can pull similar torque at lower revs though...

1 - 20 of 178 Posts