Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im in the process of doing my rear storage and second/ 3rd battery an some other electrical stuff and I one thing I was planning on was to have a second head unit for the sterio at the very rear and run it on the aux battery which is the simple bit. my question is if I had an amp, could I have both head units feeding the amp?

so when car I running the amp is running from the front/dash unit. and when stoped, ingnition/acc is off, and the rear unit is swithched on it runs the same amp?

or am I better to just have the rear unit and the speaker in the barn doors ( which I was going to do) but no amp?

cheers guys

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,823 Posts
I'm not sure if you could just use the trigger wire to activate the amp from what radio you got on at the time. Even use a 3 way switch to determine what trigger wire goes to the amp. I be more worry about battery drain from running it for too long cause a good quality amp will flatten a battery pretty quick. I would go with the speakers in the barn door idea as my number one choice.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers mate yeah I think I will go with just the 2 speakers and unit.

·
Registered
179 Posts
you can get a 2 into 1 selector box for the rca's

and just fit both remote wires to the amp.

another way would be using a 4 chan amp with seperate f and rear inputs....but that gets complicated.

Probobly better off just running off the head unit when camping. Less draw on your batteries.

·
Registered
nissan
336 Posts
Yes you can have 2 decks supplying signal to one amp through RCA splitters or switch box as mentioned but it comes with a compromise. You lose signal strength through the RCA's & you won't get the same volume or sound quality out of either deck. You can turn your gains up on the amp to compensate on volume loss.

The signal wire from either deck will turn amp on.

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve here but I successfully run the following set up:
Deep cycle gel aux battery with 20A DC-DC charger. Both my amps & stiffening capacitor are connected to this battery as is the TV screen & aux lights, only the deck is running off the Crank battery although in your case I'd suggest wiring it off the deep cycle. I have 2 freaking huge amps with a high current draw powering enough speakers & subs to alter your heart beat & send you deaf within 3 songs & I can run it for a for 3-4 hrs at high volume before I have to charge the battery, which through the DC-DC charger gets charged off the crank battery when engine is running, therefore decreasing load on the alternator & avoiding uneven batteries dragging each other down.

Failing that an even easier solution would be to have a switched power source selection so you can choose from which battery your deck draws from. It'd be a lot cheaper & easier than adding a 2nd deck.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers for the comments guys I went into auto one today and they have some decks on special and one pack had a deck and 2 speakers for $100 so I grabed it.

cheers jc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts