Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
Joined
·
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seasons greetings to all, I was tinkering some more with the truck and thought that pictures of the latest mod would be in order - enjoy.....



This is my original setup with a "T" piece and a ball valve installed on the outlet of the filter, the outlet with the green cap is what I hook into for priming and purging the system of air with a 12v fuel pump.



This is the Delpi Sediment bowl that I purchased from a specialist filter outlet (Western Filters in Blacktown 9831-1715), it is roughly the same as the their CAV unit but without the filter (PN: 5836B120). The bits that hang off were purchased at Pirtek.



The fuel runs over the inverted funnel towards the glass and is drawn back through the units centre cavity at the pointy end of the funnel.



Thanks to my brother in law Domenico who came up with this design for the bracket and then made it for me (goodonya mate...)



Unit all together.



Doing some checks before the final install.



Checking from another angle.



Installed hoses in their final location.



Install complete and ready to be primed/purged.

Fittings are as follows: The Delphi has 1/4 BSP threads which are a special "CAV" fitting type.

The fittings on the fuel filter are 1/4 BSP, I purchased a 1/4 BSP M-M to replace the original elbow from the outlet of the filter, I then connected a 1/4 BSP F-F-F "T" piece to it.

The Miniball ball valve is a 1/4 BSP M-F which I then connected the original elbow of the fuel filter to.

The fuel hose is a 3/8 so a 1/4 BSP to 3/8 barb fitting was used (close to a 10mm barb).


The installation has added around 1/2 an inch of restriction to the pump which is now at around 3 and a bit inches Hg at idle.

I am aware that this system does not capture emulsified water but the last few times that I got bad fuel, the main contaminant was heavy water and some brown muck which this setup will capture.

I use Chemtech Diesel Power to remove any emulsified water in the fuel and so far it has been doing a good job for me.

:cheers: and a Merry Christmas to you all.
Whitie
 

·
Registered
nissan
Joined
·
517 Posts
Well done mate, very professional setup. Thanks for sharing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
Can you explain the difference between emulsified water and heavy water? My mechanic has mentioned the last couple of time there has been substantial water in the filter when its drained. Without having a clear bowl you can't check it by eye on a trip.
 

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
Joined
·
3,345 Posts
Hi whitie,
As usual, a very professional looking job and a mod well worth doing.

Can you give us a part number for the water trap?

I was also thinking that if an electrical pump was fitted to the rear of the vehicle to prime the system, would there be an advantage in fitting a trap with a second filter included?

Merry Christmas to all.
 

·
Registered
nissan
Joined
·
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Bushbloke said:
Can you explain the difference between emulsified water and heavy water? My mechanic has mentioned the last couple of time there has been substantial water in the filter when its drained. Without having a clear bowl you can't check it by eye on a trip.
Hi Bushbloke, emulsified water is water in such a small state that it travels with the fuel and it does not group together easily and fall to the bottom of the tank / filter.

Heavy water is water in a size that is big enough to form water droplets which will join together, making a larger body of water. This water will fall to the bottom of the tank and if some does get sucked through the fuel line it will end up in the bottom of the filter, as your mechanic has mentioned.

There are filter units that are able to remove the emulsified water but they are expensive (you get what you pay for) and you may also need an axillary lift pump to help the fuel through the filter - it would be wise to confirm this with the 4.2 gents such as Old Mav.

Chaz said:
Hi whitie,
As usual, a very professional looking job and a mod well worth doing.

Can you give us a part number for the water trap?

I was also thinking that if an electrical pump was fitted to the rear of the vehicle to prime the system, would there be an advantage in fitting a trap with a second filter included?

Merry Christmas to all.
Hi Chaz, the description on the box is "5836B120 Sedimenter".

I believe that there may be an advantage fitting a filter with the trap but bear in mind that you will end up with a much smaller trap, the normal CAV style is about $25 more expensive than the sedimenter and is the same size and mounting. However, since I change the fuel filter at 10k, I was not sure that a second filter was justified.

I went for the sedimenter because of the larger trap size and if ever the axillary pump failed with a second filter installed, there would be a greater load placed on the VP44 and I am a big chicken :rofl:

If you think that a second filter would still be worth while, I have seen a low pressure warning circuit that sets off a red light whenever the Psi drops below 5psi for around $50 from the states that would probably mitigate my chickenness, but I am sure that you could easily design one yourself.

Also, I would install a bypass for the second filter in case the low pressure light ever came on :crazy:

All the best,
Whitie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
Sweet, heavy water has been my main concern. How much is that sedimenter?

Are there any telltale signs of emulsified water?

And i didn;t see you mention which side of the original filter the Sedimenter is installed?
 

·
Registered
nissan
Joined
·
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bushbloke said:
Sweet, heavy water has been my main concern. How much is that sedimenter?

Are there any telltale signs of emulsified water?

And i didn;t see you mention which side of the original filter the Sedimenter is installed?
It cost me $100 and it is installed before the filter. The best way to tell is when you have the filter out, you tear it apart and look for the following as described in this BP bulletin: http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_internet/australia/corporate_australia/STAGING/local_assets/downloads_pdfs/f/Fuel_news_common_diesel_prob1.pdf

Using a product like Chemtech Diesel Power will help get rid of emulsified water.

If water in the fuel is a continual problem where you fill up, you may want to invest in one of these funnels from a boat store http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:4dIVABmGslleDM:http://web.mit.edu/people/robot/diesel/p248b.jpg They remove the water from the fuel as you pour it in the tank.

Cheers,
Whitie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Gooday Whitie, Whats the flash tack around your intercooler? Is that standard on the the 3.0's. I notice you have the cluey members beamed in on your installation too. I have fitted a LTW fuel filter adapter to my 4.2 and I am pleased with it, as I have had some S**t fuel of late and the bowl idea and the cost of CAV filters appeals to me .
Cheers Baz
 

·
Registered
nissan
Joined
·
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Barry Sechtig said:
Gooday Whitie, Whats the flash tack around your intercooler? Is that standard on the the 3.0's. I notice you have the cluey members beamed in on your installation too. I have fitted a LTW fuel filter adapter to my 4.2 and I am pleased with it, as I have had some S**t fuel of late and the bowl idea and the cost of CAV filters appeals to me .
Cheers Baz
Hi Baz, good pickup - it is not standard on the 3ltr and is to keep radiant heat from the motor away, it is manufacture by Thermo-Tec http://www.thermotec.com/products/full/14002/14002.html and can be purchased from Autobarn etc..

As I do not have a fan on top of the aftercooler (most of my k's are highway), it is another way to keep the ends of the aftercooler as cool as possible.

The CAV system is very good and has been tried and proven as you would know, better to be safe than sorry ;-)

Cheers,
Whitie
 

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
Joined
·
3,345 Posts
Sedimenter and Pump

Hi Guy’s,

Following whitie’s informative post on fitting the Delphi Sedimenter, I thought it was time to show my handy work also. I got the sedimenter fitted yesterday and today fitted a Walbro FRD-11 fuel pump to supply fuel to the Zexcel Rotary Pump.
This little beauty can lift fuel to over 3meters and flow 55gph. It is now very easy to bleed all the air from the system and the engine feels a little smoother.
I mounted the pump just behind the main tank and fitted it between the flexable rubber fuel line. The pump runs constantly when there is demand for fuel and stops when there is no flow.

Sedimenter fitted to the inner R/H guard. Unlike whitie, I don’t have ABS, so there was a small amount of room.


The Walbro FRD-11 Fuel lift pump. http://www.fdrive.com.au/products/09/fuelpumps.php

My Report
 

·
Registered
nissan
Joined
·
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great setup Chaz, look forward to hearing how the Walbro performs.

Cheers mate.
 

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
Joined
·
3,345 Posts
whitie said:
Great setup Chaz, look forward to hearing how the Walbro performs.

Cheers mate.
Thanks whitie,
I'll start doing some testing tomorrow, but so far it's all good.
Definately worth doing IMHO.
Cheers mate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Hi Chaz,
I have a pump that will flow 120 lph at 4 psi, it is one of the solid state vibrator types. I think 120 lts should be adequate, your thoughts.
I intend to put a CAV 296 (Delphi) filter sedimenter, in line as you and Whitie have done.

Cheers
Bruce
 

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
Joined
·
3,345 Posts
StinkBoater said:
Hi Chaz,
I have a pump that will flow 120 lph at 4 psi, it is one of the solid state vibrator types. I think 120 lts should be adequate, your thoughts.
I intend to put a CAV 296 (Delphi) filter sedimenter, in line as you and Whitie have done.

Cheers
Bruce
Hi Bruce,
I think those little electronic pumps should be ok. Any pressure must be better than vacuum, but you’ll need to overcome the added restriction of the sedimenter and filter. That’s why whitie opted not to use a filter and just the sedimenter. My original thought was to use two facet pumps in parallel. That would give me about 7psi and 200lph, but the plumbing was a bit messy. I know that whitie tried a single facet, but even though it’s an improvement, I think he wants to try something bigger.
The important thing is to use a flow through pump and preferably with a check valve so that it stays primed. If you can blow through your pump only one way then it should be ok. If not, I wouldn’t use it because if the pump fails, the injection pump won’t be able to pull fuel through it and you will stop.
I would consider using a sedimenter without the filter, because the CAV 296 filters are only between 7 and 9 microns, whereas the genuine Nissan filters are 2 to 3 microns. That way any larger sediment or particles will be trapped along with any heavy water in the sedimenter allowing the genuine filter to look after the finer stuff. Also this will put less restriction on the line for the pump to push through.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Chaz,
Thanks for your thoughts, yes i don't want to go buggering that Zexel goldmine of a injector pump. I believe the bits are available to convert the filter/sedimenter to just a sedimenter. Going back to my coach driving days, we had some older Leyland and Volvo powered vehicles that actually had one each sedimenter & filter/sedimeterr on them.

By the way, where did you source the power to run the pump, I had thought of a relay, contolled off the ignition (the wiper motor feed as per the IC fan), and run the pwer along the chassis rail to the rear end

Cheers
Bruce
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
904 Posts
Chaz said:
Hi Guy’s,

Following whitie’s informative post on fitting the Delphi Sedimenter, I thought it was time to show my handy work also. I got the sedimenter fitted yesterday and today fitted a Walbro FRD-11 fuel pump to supply fuel to the Zexcel Rotary Pump.
This little beauty can lift fuel to over 3meters and flow 55gph. It is now very easy to bleed all the air from the system and the engine feels a little smoother.
I mounted the pump just behind the main tank and fitted it between the flexable rubber fuel line. The pump runs constantly when there is demand for fuel and stops when there is no flow.

Sedimenter fitted to the inner R/H guard. Unlike whitie, I don’t have ABS, so there was a small amount of room.


The Walbro FRD-11 Fuel lift pump. http://www.fdrive.com.au/products/09/fuelpumps.php

My Report

Chaz,

Well done mate , looks liek you have given me another mod to do, and i thought i was done ! :) well done mate !

Cheers

Daz
 

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
Joined
·
3,345 Posts
StinkBoater said:
Chaz,
Thanks for your thoughts, yes i don't want to go buggering that Zexel goldmine of a injector pump. I believe the bits are available to convert the filter/sedimenter to just a sedimenter. Going back to my coach driving days, we had some older Leyland and Volvo powered vehicles that actually had one each sedimenter & filter/sedimeterr on them.

By the way, where did you source the power to run the pump, I had thought of a relay, contolled off the ignition (the wiper motor feed as per the IC fan), and run the pwer along the chassis rail to the rear end

Cheers
Bruce

Bruce,
I doubt if you would hurt the rotary pump as long as you didn’t increase the restriction in the fuel system. Even a small amount of pressure should be better that vacuum, but I’m certainly no expert on diesel fuel systems. I had a chat to a fella the other day and he indicated that they do quite a few similar systems. He was the one that put me onto the Walbro pumps. When I went to order the Sedimenter from a local diesel injection shop, they had plenty of them in various assemblies – with and without filters, so they shouldn’t be too hard to find.

You’re spot on – I ran the control feed from the same relay that supplies my fan. The pump comes on with ignition and runs constantly, but this pump stops itself when it’s up to pressure. It’s called a “Supply On Demand” pump.
 

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
Joined
·
3,345 Posts
GU3ST04 said:
Chaz,

Well done mate , looks liek you have given me another mod to do, and i thought i was done ! :) well done mate !

Cheers

Daz
Haha, thanks Daz. I'm already looking for the next one!

I'm thinking of an external fuel pressure gauge next.
Cheers buddy
 

·
Registered
nissan
Joined
·
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chaz said:
Haha, thanks Daz. I'm already looking for the next one!

I'm thinking of an external fuel pressure gauge next.
Cheers buddy
Excellent idea Chaz, look forward to seeing what you find.

Cheers mate
 

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
Joined
·
3,345 Posts
whitie said:
Excellent idea Chaz, look forward to seeing what you find.

Cheers mate
Hi whitie,
Low scale pressure gauges are hard to find. I had one on my old race car that was 0 – 15psi, but now days all I find are 0 – 30. I thought maybe an electric digital pressure gauge may be the go because then I could fit it inside the car and it would have a reasonably low scale.
I’ll let you know what I find.
Cheers mate.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top