Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, just wondering if any one has any ideas on how i should go about my little problem. Im in desperate need of some help/information on what to do with the oil in transmission,diffs,transfer case, so engine is seized on the ole girl (td42 gq patrol) and was wondering if i should drop all oils out and replace everything with a cheap engine oil till i get the beast going again or would it be fine to leave oils in?as its going to be sitting for a while till i build enough funds or find a doner to get the engine fixed/replaced. Any information good/bad would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
nissan
6,937 Posts
As long as there is no water in it there is no problem leaving the driveline with old oil in it until you are ready to put things back together although dropping the oil and checking the magnets will tell you if there are other problems which might be better found sooner rather than later.

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,414 Posts
If there is a wrecker nearby I would be selling it to them , as everything has been drowned. seats wet, carpets wet , diffs wet , gearbox wet , transfer case wet. Afraid what you have is a right off.

Reactions: 45/70

·
Premium Member
nissan
6,937 Posts
Fixing a drowned car is a lot of work that really needs to be done by someone that knows what they are doing. Your questions show that you haven't got a clue and should be looking to offload it to someone that knows what to do.

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
16,755 Posts
Would have thought you would have stacks of $$$ driving into that..

·
Registered
Nissan
417 Posts
Can I ask did the engine cease running or did you switch it off and it took water after that ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can I ask did the engine cease running or did you switch it off and it took water after that ?
Switched it off..but bloke i brought it off didn't put sealant on custom air intake lid..filled up whilst i was stuck ( not blaming him but if i had known i wouldnt of done what i did) which was start it when i got yanked out(thinking that there shouldnt be any water in the intake)..it kicked over then died..then also tried to kick start whilst i was being towed🤦🏾

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
16,755 Posts
There is a nice one in the classifieds atm..
strip submarine and flog off whats good.. Should make a few $$

Reactions: NissTorq

·
Registered
nissan
11,120 Posts
have you tried pulling the injectors out and blowing out the water and seeing if it will start. or did it run for a bit then suck in a heap of water from the full airbox?

·
Registered
Nissan
417 Posts
How worse ? driveline probably flooded with water,electrics ditto,hydraulic locked engine attempted tow start,--bent rod/s ? oh,it didn't burn (y)
Your probably right, didn't want to make him feel worse. It may not have got water in the pump yet, and I'm sure if a diesel can throw a rod or internal damage if water went under full throttle through air which was avoided. Hard to know with limited info. Generally speaking things can always be worse, yep could have burned there you go :)

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,115 Posts
Hi there, just wondering if any one has any ideas on how i should go about my little problem. Im in desperate need of some help/information on what to do with the oil in transmission,diffs,transfer case, so engine is seized on the ole girl (td42 gq patrol) and was wondering if i should drop all oils out and replace everything with a cheap engine oil till i get the beast going again or would it be fine to leave oils in?as its going to be sitting for a while till i build enough funds or find a doner to get the engine fixed/replaced. Any information good/bad would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ok,we're here to help,so here goes,assuming you haven't started,this is what I would do-- battery out,drain all oils,leave the plugs out.Remove all the seats,then the floor coverings,spread 'em out to dry [lucky it's not the middle of winter] Remove all the injectors and use a socket on the crankshaft nut rotate it to remove as much water as possible,some will flow down the exhaust too as the valves open.Remove the fuse cover and spray with quality dewatering fluid,fortunately most of the wiring was not affected.It looks like the rear diff/breather was above water too,but the starter motor is almost certainly full,remove it and pull the cover off n dry it out.After winding it over a few times,[yeh you are saving money],most of the water will be out of the cylinders,we are doing it in this sequence to try to avoid sucking water into the oil pump and filling the galleries and bearings,remove the filters and look for water.Tip about 50 ml of dewatering juice down each injector hole and hand wind it 2 complete turns feeling for tight spots as you go,this will give you an idea if there are bent conrods while spreading the dwf over the bores and rings .This can all be done with basic tools except for a socket for the crankshaft nut and a long bar to pull it over.From the pic,there will not be water in the fuel system,so the IP will be ok.Let us know what you find.🤞

·
Premium Member
nissan
6,937 Posts
It's generally not too hard getting a TD42 running again after they have hydrolocked once the water has been removed. The common symptom of a major problem is that they run one cylinder down at low speeds when they first start but smooth out after a few minutes and then idle almost normally. This gives the uninitiated the impression that there is not much wrong with them but it's classic symptoms of a bent rod and requires an engine rebuild. I'd say the chances of this are a bit more than 50% but you never know until you get it running.

If it starts and idles on all 6 then you have dodged a bullet and don't need to pull the head. If it won't run on all 6 at low speed within the first minute then something is either bent or cracked and it needs to be pulled apart.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
have you tried pulling the injectors out and blowing out the water and seeing if it will start. or did it run for a bit then suck in a heap of water from the full airbox?
Yeah mate done that..tried starting it once i thought i was out of water hole assuming that the custom air filter lid was sealed..and also tried clutch starting when being towed..cracked the air box the other day and it was pretty much full

·
Registered
85 Posts
If.. youre going to try to dry body out also remove front kick panels where timer etc is.
You may want to hose the lot out with clean water to stop smells.

·
Registered
nissan
471 Posts
Yeah mate done that..tried starting it once i thought i was out of water hole assuming that the custom air filter lid was sealed..and also tried clutch starting when being towed..cracked the air box the other day and it was pretty much full
Guarantee you have bent a rod and engine is toast. Being under that much water the electric would be toast. Sell it for parts and buy another one. There is a reason I avoid bog holes and this is one of them. Take it as a life lessson. A very expensive one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts