Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 GU S3 ST TD4.2 Dual Cab Patrol
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
So I’m looking for steering wheel buttons for headunit control and all that and the series 4 wheels can have this, there is aftermarket wheels but they also require series 4 horn covers... will a series 4 steering wheel bolt straight onto my series 3 GU patrol?
tia

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,255 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I think there is a very good chance that the steering wheel will fit. The bigger issue, though is the clock spring. The Series-4 has different indicator and wiper stalks, so if you want the steering wheel controls to run through the clock spring, you need to change this as well.

I don't know what the knock-on effects of this would be, but at the very least you'd also then need to change the steering column cover.

Then you'd still have to figure out how to wire the lot from the clock spring to the Audio unit. All Series-4's have the same clock spring, so it's relatively easy to retrofit steering wheel controls because all the wiring from the clock spring to the dash exists. On a Series-3, that might not be the case and if you change the clock spring, it most likely won't match up to your vehicle wiring anyway.

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,289 Posts
Someone else was going to try retrofit the audio controls to a series 3 wheel. From memory they found they had the same clock spring as the series 4s already

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: AndrieK

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,255 Posts
Someone else was going to try retrofit the audio controls to a series 3 wheel. From memory they found they had the same clock spring as the series 4s already

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Did any of the pre-facelift models ever have audio steering wheel controls and / or cruise control? The S4 clock spring makes provision for both. I didn't think the S3 did...? I know the stalks are different, so I assumed they introduced all the functionality in the clock spring with the S4, but I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,289 Posts
Did any of the pre-facelift models ever have audio steering wheel controls and / or cruise control? The S4 clock spring makes provision for both. I didn't think the S3 did...? I know the stalks are different, so I assumed they introduced all the functionality in the clock spring with the S4, but I could be wrong.
Found this pic of a series 3 TI with 4.8ltr motor. Shows the same cruise control cluster as the series 4. It's possible audio controls may work. Series 2 wheel is slightly different.
Screenshot_20201122-180520_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: AndrieK

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,255 Posts
Found this pic of a series 3 TI with 4.8ltr motor. Shows the same cruise control cluster as the series 4. It's possible audio controls may work. Series 2 wheel is slightly different.
Ah, yip OK. I didn't realise S2 and S3 had different steering wheels. That steering wheel looks very close, if not identical to S4. If the Cruise Control was on the steering wheel on S3, it is quite possible that the audio wiring is also there.

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
272 Posts
Mines an S3 and I can’t recall but I think it was the same as S 4 the clock springs. I have done the audio control on steering wheel but needed to replace original stereo with aftermarket to make it work, but decided to stay with original stereo.

Reactions: trev zd30
1 - 7 of 7 Posts