Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gq
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all I'm new here and would love some help.

I have a major problem with engine were it just automatically revs flat out for no reason
I thought the TPS was stuffed so I replaced it from another engine I have
and it ran fine for a few days but the same problem happend again. has anyone got any clues that might help me
cheers craig

EDIT: it's EFI by the way not carby

·
Registered
nissan gq
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the both are free and clean, it's not really a matter of it sticking it just revs to full noise from idle with out touching the pedal ????????

·
Registered
nissan gq
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes there is cruise control fitted allthough to elminate all possibilities I disconected both eccellorator and cruise cables from throttle body and problem exsists. ok the run down..
the engine was running fine with no problems then on the next drive when the car was started I had an idle of around 2-2500rpm and thought thats wrong! and just as soon as i drove down road and changed gear as normal foot on clutch and other off eccelorator the engine reved straight to limiter so I shut it off then started again once again high idle so drove home like that trying to avoid any over reving and now still chasing the bug but did notice today that for one start up it was fine but only lasted a couple of minutes. just to fill you in I'm not a machanic but am very handy with cars I have done it all from basic servicing to full turbo applications and this one has me stumped GRRRR!!!

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Im not entirely familiar with the EFI, but if you unplug the TPS does it still run but in limp mode? If yes try it.

Can you disconnect inlet hoses you can see the throttle butterfly?

Do these have an idle adjustment similar to a ford 6? As in, does it have a seperate computer control passage of air around the main throttle butterfly for the ECU to control the air for idle? I'd check this also.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
58 Posts
you have a air leak because motors dont rev with out air check idle stepper or controlo valve and all vacume lines even manifold bolts and gaskets it will be sucking air after the throttle body

·
Registered
nissan gq
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you have a air leak because motors dont rev with out air check idle stepper or controlo valve and all vacume lines even manifold bolts and gaskets it will be sucking air after the throttle body

Looks like it is the idle stepper causing my problem thanks heaps for all your info. allthough after all this drama and time i spent on car the missus has decided she wants to upgrade to later model I'll throw in about 25 grand any idea of best place to shop? Then there will be a gq for sale

·
Registered
145 Posts
Mate, I don't know how long you have had your GQ or how much you paid for it, but if you are looking to upgrade to a later model SERIOUS 4WD, 25 grand is not going to get you much better than you have now. It will not get you above a 2003 model in any Patrol if this is what you are looking for.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Devilyano said:
It will not get you above a 2003 model in any Patrol if this is what you are looking for.
it will easily get him late model petrols..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts