Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,701 Posts
you have obviously never driven a well tuned and set up td42 old mate..

call them a kettle or what ever you want but do your home work and you will see that td's are till very sort after and are bringing a lot more $$ than zd''s..

Ive owned both and there's no comparison..
You are correct. I haven't driven a well tuned TD42. Only stock ones and lots of sh1tty ones that constantly overheat.

I did do my research and couldn't justify spending $20k more for a late model low mileage (and by low I mean less than 150,000km) TD42 over a brand new ZD30CRD.

But as people already pointed out in this thread, CONVERTING a late model ZD30CRD to TD42 in Australia is not possible due to regulations, so as in the OP's case, it's a pointless argument for me.

At least I caught a couple of fish... :LOL:

·
Registered
nissan
2,683 Posts
If only you lived in NZ...

My Shorty was a 2.8, now fitted with a 4.2, all they require here is it's bolted in correctly and the exhaust isn't too loud, then you pay's your $500 and they slap a Cert plate on it and you're all legal...

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
1,848 Posts
If only you lived in NZ...

My Shorty was a 2.8, now fitted with a 4.2, all they require here is it's bolted in correctly and the exhaust isn't too loud, then you pay's your $500 and they slap a Cert plate on it and you're all legal...
2.8 isn't an issue over here either. Nor is a ZD30 Di to TD42 conversion. ZD30 CRD to TD42 however, is nogo!

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
848 Posts
You are correct. I haven't driven a well tuned TD42. Only stock ones and lots of sh1tty ones that constantly overheat.

I did do my research and couldn't justify spending $20k more for a late model low mileage (and by low I mean less than 150,000km) TD42 over a brand new ZD30CRD.

But as people already pointed out in this thread, CONVERTING a late model ZD30CRD to TD42 in Australia is not possible due to regulations, so as in the OP's case, it's a pointless argument for me.

At least I caught a couple of fish... :LOL:
Argument in a nutshell.

Would like to drive a decently intercooled turbed and fueled up TD for comparison. But a ZD with the same fruit is still pretty satisfying, and neither sound as good as an RD or SD :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
1,465 Posts
you have obviously never driven a well tuned and set up td42 old mate..

call them a kettle or what ever you want but do your home work and you will see that td's are till very sort after and are bringing a lot more $$ than zd''s..

Ive owned both and there's no comparison..
How do I convert my 4.2 to ZD.........says no one ever. If my 4.2 ever dies another will take its place. If I owned a zd I would do the same. Like for like.

ZD series four 2005-6 hold their money. Mostly wanted for conversions. A mate does conversions. 2005 zd was his latest. His customer sourced a half cut 42tdi from a ute. It cost him $ 12.5 k plus freight for the cut, then conversion costs on top. The end result was factory looking......but not something I would do. Each to their own.

My 2 cents worth. Spend it wisely.

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
848 Posts
How do I convert my 4.2 to ZD.........says no one ever. If my 4.2 ever dies another will take its place. If I owned a zd I would do the same. Like for like.

ZD series four 2005-6 hold their money. Mostly wanted for conversions.
It's been done in a GQ I believe.

AFAIK it goes very very well.

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
848 Posts
Yeah I did see that. One of how many I wonder?

I would not bother but as I said above each to their own.
Two so far that I know of, one on here and one on Faceache by Gturbo as a race truck with a built auto. Lighter than a GU, it would be awesome I reckon.

Lets not forget the bimmer that's been ZD swapped also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
TD42's just make more noise and use more fuel. A tuned ZD30 CRD is just as good, if not better than a tuned TD42. And they're more reliable. TD42's are called 'kettles' because they boil. Old ZD30Di's were called 'grenades' because they blow up. CRD's have no more issues than any other modern diesel engine.

If I ever change mine ('14 CRD) it'll be for something completely different like a Duramax / 6BT / ISDE4.5 / OM642 / OM656, but I think jumping through all the emission hoops would not be worth the effort.
Sorry your joking my TD42T runs 14 lb boost and dynoed. Puts out 550 nm torque, standard 2 1/4 inch exhaust. 11.5 ltre per 100 ks. Towing 2 tonne van 17.5 litres per 100 ks. 424,000 ks. You won't get that out of a ZD30 and I'll get another 400,000ks out of the old girl🤔

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
nissan
13,738 Posts
And the winner is...
well saaid mate.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,064 Posts
Is that the best you’ve got, I’ve still got popcorn left. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
nissan
13,738 Posts
No popcorn required..
read the mans figures, proofs in the pud.

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
22,282 Posts

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,064 Posts
No popcorn required..
read the mans figures, proofs in the pud.
The munting has kicked in. 🙄🤣🍺. Let me tell you about the torque and power figures from my wheelbarrow. Damn they are impressive and when it gets twin turbos and lowered shocks with fresh blinker fluid, I’ll have to chain it up each night just to slow it down. 😂😂😂😂😂

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
1,465 Posts
Two so far that I know of, one on here and one on Faceache by Gturbo as a race truck with a built auto. Lighter than a GU, it would be awesome I reckon.

Lets not forget the bimmer that's been ZD swapped also.
Not many people find one unicorn but you have found three. :)

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,701 Posts
Can't see the dyno print out! :unsure: 😇
Damn, you beat me to it... :sneaky:

@riverjordancraig, also remember to please post your fuel consumption log. ;)

And while you're at it, can I also please have the contact details of your certification engineer that can sign-off on my '14 ZD30CRD to TD42 conversion? I'm sure th OP would also be very interested.

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
848 Posts
Not many people find one unicorn but you have found three. :)
Eh, I only responded to the statement that no one swaps them in.

Personally I think they'll get more common as swaps the mods become more commonplace and when 4.2s get rarer.
Edit: the Veebs made my sentence structure a bit ordinary.

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
1,465 Posts
Eh, I only responded to the statement that no one swaps them in.

Personally I think they'll get more common as the mods become more commonplace as swaps when 4.2s get rarer.
Hehe just making sure rgren2 can keep eating his popcorn.

So if my 4.2 pops I should put in a ZD30?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts