• DIY

Votes: 172 86.9%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just want to know the majority of people who either get a dealership/independant mechanic to service/repair your patrol or if you rather service it yourself. i have access to the workshop where i work and i dont pay for anything apart for filters or any other parts.

·
Registered
nissan
399 Posts
I do most things myself, however, if its a PITA type of job or something that im not set up to do myself (remove engine etc), ill just take it to my local mechanic and pay him to do it.

·
Registered
nissan
100 Posts
I tend to do small services myself but take the Patrol to a mechanic for major service for a complete check and peace of mind.

---Bushy67---

·
Registered
nissan
126 Posts
Mechanic until the warranty on the new motor runs out, then I'll do it all myself.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Depends how I feel. Mostly I prefer to do it myself but if the weather is cruddy and I'm feeling lazy then it goes to the garage. Also depends what the job is. If it's hard work then I'm inclined to dodge it. If the labour is going to cost plenty then I tend to do it myself.

I don't think there is any hard and fast rule. All depends on circumstances.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
I voted dealer mech as it's under warranty at the mo. But if it was out of warranty, i'd be doing the minor services myself and getting the major ones done...

·
Registered
nissan
645 Posts
I DIY. That's one of the reasons why I bought the 4.2L TD. I plan to do everything I can on it myself, with the occasional major things and safety related things done my my local mechanic.

·
Registered
nissan
1,527 Posts
I do it mostly myself. If I don't feel like doing it I pay a mechanic. If it is more then a service & it is time consuming or I don't have the gear, I pay a mechanic.

·
Registered
Nissan
11 Posts
Depends on the labour charges for the job, if it's easy but just time consuming, I'll do it. But sometimes a mechanic can do it for just a little more than what I can do it, and then you get a bit of a warranty. (take it back if it's not right) Dyno tuning obviously gets done at the mechanics

·
Registered
nissan gu
166 Posts
I DIY on all my 4x4's, even during the warranty period.

A couple a very bad mechanic stuff ups have me trusting no one. I cant find anyone who cares about my truck like I do.........

Unfortunately I don't have all service tools so 4B would only go to mechanic if the job is to big for me but its not happened yet.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi there

I also do DIY on my motor. I also take the opportunity to do other things when performing the service. At my last service I fitted the Provent 200 etc.

I find doing mods at service time is the easiest way to do it, you know when the service is coming up so you can plan, and you've got the vehicle off the road anyway, so make good use of the time.

·
Registered
nissan
204 Posts
I DIY as much as I can, wheel alignments are all I seem to be paying for latley.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I do it myself as it's a great way of keeping an eye on things.
For example, you can see what is left of your brake pads when you rotate the tyres.

I would like to DIY. Just cant seem to get up the courage.
Lawrence, fly me over and I'll show you how it's done. Should only take about 3 weeks. Book me into a good hotel and I'll nip over in the evenings for an hour or two! ;)

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
DIY as much as possible
Closest mechanic is 50Ks
Unless it absolutely has to go it does,if not crack a beer and in to it

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
Do most stuff myself, if it's something I can't handle then I try and find someone who can do it on the weekends then I learn something new as well.

·
Registered
Nissan
586 Posts
I do it myself as it's a great way of keeping an eye on things.
For example, you can see what is left of your brake pads when you rotate the tyres.

Lawrence, fly me over and I'll show you how it's done. Should only take about 3 weeks. Book me into a good hotel and I'll nip over in the evenings for an hour or two! ;)
LOl. i hear you Spider. Actually I have a mechanic who knows Patrols through and through, but i plan to get myself a proper set of tools (funny how when you have, somebody always borrows "permanently") and work on the more minor aspects, as through this site as well as a couple manuals, i have learnt a lot.

·
Registered
nissan
605 Posts
service it yourself and you will know your car better than any mechanic.
At least when your stuck outback you'll have a chance of fixing it.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
1,610 Posts
service it yourself and you will know your car better than any mechanic.
At least when your stuck outback you'll have a chance of fixing it.
Its true, but just because you service your car doesnt mean you will be able to fix or even diagnose everything.

An oil and filter change isnt really a service, in a real service the vehicle gets a full going over, bushes, leaks, steering, brakes, cooling system, fuel system etc.

I like the people that do their minor services at home but take in into a shop to get a good check over say every 10,000kms

As a mechanic ive seen some pretty weird things that i would like to see the regular joe pick up at home.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts