Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got my hands on a old rig she is a MQ 1984 LWB. Stock as a rock with the SD33T. Just clicked over the 300,000 km. So now has 300,150 km :) I would like to know if there is anything that needs to be replaced every 100,000 km. I ask because I had a cruser once before that through a timing chain as it had not been replaced. Also if there are any other bits that may need replacing as a major service.

Thank you all.

·
Registered
nissan
1,167 Posts
Sounds like a nice rig mate, the old SD33T's are a brilliant engine. Ive got a '87 LWB one here as a farm basher with 500,000kms and shes still going strong.
SD's don't run a timing belt or chain, they are gear driven/timed.
There really isnt any major service that you need to do to her, apart from the norm.
Oil changes every 5, with filter.
Clean the fuel filter banjo bolt out (the bolt where your fuel enters the lift pump, just below the injector pump).
Another good one to do is pull the oil cooler off and clean it up, as they are horrible for clogging up. If the water system is running water rather than coolant, its almost certain to be building up rust flakes.
Thats about it for now, just keep her regularly serviced and she will run for ever.

Reactions: 4x4tribe

·
Registered
nissan patrol
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. I have been looking over the workshop manual and had not seen any special needs for the 100,000 km or similar but the book and rig are 30 years old and thought it best to ask the people as there may have been things they may not have considered back then.

Happy times for all

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,049 Posts
The SD is a simple old engine, and really doesn't need that much in the way of servicing, just the basic checks, fluids and filters most of the time.
If you've just bought her its worth checking valve clearances too.

Reactions: 4x4tribe

·
Registered
nissan patrol
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The SD is a simple old engine, and really doesn't need that much in the way of servicing, just the basic checks, fluids and filters most of the time.
If you've just bought her its worth checking valve clearances too.[/QUOTE

I will see what I need to do the valve clearances and the specs and do that too.
Thank you

·
Registered
Nissan
234 Posts
If youve only just got it a good idea for peace of mind is to change all oils as in box and diffs aswell. Probably even a coolant change wouldnt hurt. Thats way you know its all done and good for another 50000kms. Depending on how keen you are and how mechanically minded you are regreasing your wheel bearings would be good too

·
Registered
nissan patrol
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have done very little as far as mechanical type stuff in the past changed oil and filtres brake pads but that is about it. This old girl will be diy top to toe inside and out. I intend to use her to take the family on 4x4 trips, fishing, camping and things like that. I ain't looking for a fast or flash rig just a good solid rig that can take me and the family on plenty of 4x4ing adventures across rivers up and down hills and mountains while poking along in low range. :angel:

·
Registered
nissan patrol
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Gezza will put a list of bits and pieces I will need to get and do. I still need to get a rwc and Rego. So I will just poke along and do what I can when I can.

·
Registered
Nissan
234 Posts
I know what thats like, same process I went through with mine haha. Have you jacked it up at all and checked front bearings?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have not done any maintenance on her yet. Just done 100 or so walk arounds, drove over a few old wheel and tyres. Google d and research is as far as I have gotten so far :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts