Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone the guru of knife sharpening here?

Can you help out an amateur? Google reveals a whole raft of confusing information, what is better, steels or stones?

What type of stones should I be looking for? What is easier for the inexperienced?

I'm guessing all these V shaped new things in the kitchen shops are no match for the traditional stones or steels if you know how to use them properly?

Referring to say a filleting knife, is a more expensive one necessarily a better one?

I want to buy a better filleting knife but not sure what to buy, and I want to buy an appropriate sharpening device and learn how to use it properly.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
nissan/swb gq
843 Posts
I cant help out with all the specifics , but I can tell you that a steel is only really for maintaining the edge , where as a stone will actually remove steel and re-shape the blade , once shaped correctly with the right angle to suit your intended use you can then use a steel to tidy it up further or polish it for lack of better term .
using an old school stone and steel is an art , I've learnt dribs and drab's from my old man who was a slaughterman by trade . My stuff is all really old but great quality , I can get what I think is a good edge on almost anything , then only to but to shame when Dad does it :( .
Keep an eye on EvilBay for second hand gear, When I speek to the oldman I'll get some Brand name of the good old gear and post it here if someone else dosn't chime in first .

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
I use one of these on my knives and broadheads so easy and works a treat. I don't want to spend too much time mucking around sharpening stuff though.

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
If it don't shave hair off your arm it's blunt:)
There is myriad of sharpeners out there, I've got lazy and now use a Lansky sharpening tool, it has a jig and diamond stones , but can give a great edge.
There is no fast way to get a good lasting sharp edge they take time, then it comes down to how bad you abuse it, plastic, bone, anything but flesh really can be hard on a edge
As for brand it's more about steel and design, my hunting knives are mainly stainless, can't remember what grade will have to look, I prefer tang to go full length of handle and have a large handle for good feel as for a folding knife likewise it comes to style Buck, Fox, and Gerber are my preference.
:) At anytime you will find at least 4 knives in my ute and 1 in my pocket, lately pocket one has been a Leatherman skeletool

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
Stone makes knife sharp,

Steel fixes the edge.

Put simply as you use the knife the very edge of it folds over on its self, The knife is still sharp, but the cutting bit is pointing the wrong way. The steel stands the edge back up so it points the right way.

anyone can sharpen a knife easily, The main thing people get wrong is:

Due to incorrect technique, the will cause a burr (or fold) along the cutting edge, as they sharpen (on a stone, be it water, oil or diamond) They will get this burr pretty dam sharp, it will even shave your arm ( or legs if you are that way inclined) but as soon as you start using the knife the burr ether breaks off or folds over some more and you are left with a blunt knife and no other explanation other than ahh its just made out of **** metal.

There are electric sharpeners on the market that do an amazing job for noobs, There was a time when they chewed alot of the blade off too, but its not an issue anymore. Even with an elc sharpener you will still need some kind of steel.

Like stones there are many kinds of steel, all for different purposes.

Starting with a good knife that's razor sharp, in the process of skinning a deer you will put your knife to a steel at leased 5 times but you will only sharpen on a stone maybe 5 times a year.

There is a hell of a difference between good and cheap knives, Cheap ones with soft low carbon blades still sharpen very quickly, but they will lose there edge even faster.

For hunting (field dressing) Buck USA (not the china one) are among the best for Pelting & boning Green River have been the best for a long time. There are plenty of others, Its doesn't take a rocket surgeon to produce a good blade anymore, its all pretty well known ( well to the people in that field I mean)

There was a time that wooden grips were far better as they stuck in your hand when covered in blood and the plastic ones became slippery. Now they are both about the same, plastic being far more hygienic tho.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Unless people are experienced with grinder use they should never sharpen a knife on a grinder, this is something I very rarely do and if I do it is with great care, just a hint of overheating will effect the temper and you don't necessarily need to see a colour change as it can be very subtly on the edge, very easy to destroy a good knife.

For my filleting knives that I use on quite large fish I use a steel to maintain an already sharp edge (my steel is over 100 years old, belonged to my Grandfather), or a well oiled stone with a course and fine side to reclaim a blunted edge.

Off course the quality of the steel plays a major role in how long a knife will hold its edge, my neighbour is a qualified Chef, he just bought a knife that cost him $700 dollars over 100 folds, 63 rockwell on the edge and as sharp as any raiser. My big filleting knife is a Shimano I've had for around 15 years, still fillets a large Spaniard with ease.

My 2 cents worth

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks very much fellas, clearly it is much harder to learn than it seems. Maybe I'll get one of these accusharp things if they're a half decent compromise, or I may go a kitchen shop and see what they've got regarding stones and steels.

Perhaps I could get the knife professionally sharpened once a year and buy a steel to maintain it in the meantime based on above posts?

I need it to fillet Spanish Macks up to about 20kg and Snapper mostly. Macks are very easy to fillet thankfully but of course a sharp knife makes it ten times easier.

Thanks again as always very informative :)

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For that matter these bad boys are about $100 give or take in Australia.

http://www.bubbablade.com/itemdetail-9-inchflex.htm

I prefer flex blades to stiff ones for filletting as personal taste.

If anyone else can suggest a better one for similar price I'm all ears. I've been using a kershaw but doesn't stay sharp too long, hence this thread...

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
For that matter these bad boys are about $100 give or take in Australia.

The Bubba Blade 9 Inch Flex Blade Fillet Knife

I prefer flex blades to stiff ones for filletting as personal taste.

If anyone else can suggest a better one for similar price I'm all ears. I've been using a kershaw but doesn't stay sharp too long, hence this thread...
My Shimano is a flex knife, it keeps its edge very well normally. I also much prefer flex to stiff knives, much easier to handle.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,685 Posts
I'm no expert by any means but love a sharp knife and was taught to sharpen by my old man with his wood working tools.

I have a good steel bought from King of Knives and 2 Japanese water stones, one is a 1000 grit the other is a 1800 grit for getting that razer edge. I can easily spend an hour sharpening my wife's 4 kitchen knives, although i only do 5 -6 times a year thank fully. Steel in between.

Biggest thing to remember is to keep the same angle on the blade as you're sharpening, if your angle keeps changing then you keep working different sections of blade.

·
Here To Be Entertained
Currently not a vehicle owner
12,085 Posts
Most duties I just use an accusharp and finish with the steel.
I do find the accusharps are a bit harsh on the blades though, leaving them a bit pitted.
Have been looking at one of these for a while. Similar to the Lansky sharpeners but a bit more solid. Bit more expensive also :(
https://www.wickededgeusa.com/product/wicked-edge-precision-sharpener/
A quick youtube search will show them in action.

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,183 Posts
There are a lot of good blades out there,Old timer,Marttini,Buck,Greenriver,etc both carbon

and stainless,be aware a lot of old quality names have been aquired by chinachit producers

I use a stone to maintain my blades,and when they get the annual review I use the

linisher,very gently,do my axes the same.

Cheers,G.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
x2 for the stones. All I ever use. Mainly domestic carvers. Some of the drag through devices are too rough.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What sort of stones fellas? Oil or water? And what grit?

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Oil and no grit. I have two ancient boxed stones, one is a medium and the finishing stone is very fine.

My 'Global' carving knife holds it's edge for about a year. I guess that is because it doesn't get used much. It would be a different kettle of fish if it were a butcher's knife.

As to the knife quality, buy the best you can afford. It's easy to pick the good quality ones, they cost a lot more.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts