Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

noticed a squeak as I reversed down the drive and off to work this morning, nothing too bad but enough for me to check it out. So at home had my 8yo daughter sitting in the car rocking the steering wheel back and forward so I could get under for a listen. As per the pic the lower shock bolt is hitting on the tie rod on the drivers side with the whels at full lock to the left. Has clearance when to the right and both ways on the pasengers side.

I haven't pranged it, or done any 4by driving lately.

Any ideas on what could be causing this.

Has 2 inch HD spings all round and 285/75/16 federal MT if that makes any difference.

Cheers.

Linden.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Looks like those rubbers are squashed / tightened to the max, you might consider new poly ones top and bottom then see how much clearance you have.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
As well as the rubbers looking shagged,on the side that is hitting the washer that is under the top shock rubber is missing

When you pull it apart i would also replace the washers that sit on top of the lower rubber as they looked deformed & off centre as well

I can understand why you have so little clearance though because on my GU4 (standard shocks) there is about 30mm clearance between the bottom of the pin & the tie rod tube

Perhaps your aftermarket shocks have a longer pin than the originals

If you replace all the worn/damaged stuff & you still dont have a lot of clearance you could put a extra very top washer in above the existing one that will gain you the thickness of the washer or cut the bottom pin length back a bit

Also how much clearance do you have between the tie rod tube & the leading arms as in the photo (perhaps the photo lies) it looks like you have stuff all where as my GU4 has around 30mm as well (perhaps the GU4 has different leading arms)

Regards Don

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for that

As soon as I posted the pics I could see the rubbers were squashed, will try to get some new ones tomoz and see how it goes, as for the clearance for the leading arms, there is heaps there, is just the angle the pic was taken from.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Personally I wouldn't get the poly bushes.

I had to undo the clamp on each end of the tie rod and spin it round, for extra clearance, when I put my new shocks on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts