Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a GQ LWB with 3.5in spring lift and the back right shock rubs on the spring.....How do I stop this from happening????

Don't want to lengthen lower arms as run a set of Q78's and they just clear rear quarters.......and no I don't want to cut my quarters off

·
Registered
nissan
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies....

If I get adjustable upper arms will it effect the ark the tyres take on compression? At the moment I just clear my q78 swampers and if they push back any further they will foul the rear guard.

May try the spacers on the lower shock mount to start with.........if they do.

James

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Thanks for the replies....

If I get adjustable upper arms will it effect the ark the tyres take on compression? At the moment I just clear my q78 swampers and if they push back any further they will foul the rear guard.

May try the spacers on the lower shock mount to start with.........if they do.

James
Errrr wtf? Shock spacers?

Do you have an adjustable panhard rod? I.e. do your tyres stick out more 1 side than the other? I'm tipping this is more what your issue is, as has been said.

·
Registered
nissan
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Panhard rods have been done and the diff is centered. Tyres do not stick out further on any sides. Changing arms length will change arch of wheel movement and I do not want to change this as I do not want to cut into the patrol. If spacing shock will work why not?

·
Registered
nissan
1,961 Posts
I think spacing the bottom shock mount may be enough for you to clear. I think some 6in kits have the spacer as part of the kit to stop this and the shock touching the bottom spring perch.
Mine did it both sides on full flex as the spring pushed out to the back on full compression, marked the shock but never affected operation. I had skinny rancho's though.

·
Registered
nissan
1,089 Posts
This is a typical patrol problem.
You have 3 choices
Make the lower arms longer
Adjustable upper arms or make them shorter
space the bottom of the shock with some washers
When you lift a patrol the rear diff rolls backwards which in turn bows the rear springs & then the spring can rub on the shock.
Panhards will not help this problem at all :wink:
Cheers

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Shock rubbing in spring?
Just leave it a few days and it'll be summer.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
This is a typical patrol problem.
You have 3 choices
4th choice is to cut the bottom shock mounts off and weld on Big O 4x4 shock mounts. They weld on a bit higher and also space the bottom of the rear shock out, and also gives more down travel because they're welded on higher. I'd do it to mine but the RH shock would then rub the 3" exhaust.
Cant move the exhaust back either cos I have a big long range tank.

·
Registered
nissan
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks I'll have a read :) I won't ever have a need for it myself, as I think 2" and 2" is the way to go, low and fast :)
Marin,

I prefer 3in lift and spacing of the bump stops as my preference is to stay away from the body lifts and the associated issues they bring with them.

But yes you are right though 2in + 2in is a good way of getting larger tyres under a GQ......

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Either way, I learnt something new :) And yes, I would love to not have the body lift, but as you say, easiest way to clear tyres.

·
Registered
nissan
1,089 Posts
4th choice is to cut the bottom shock mounts off and weld on Big O 4x4 shock mounts. They weld on a bit higher and also space the bottom of the rear shock out, and also gives more down travel because they're welded on higher. I'd do it to mine but the RH shock would then rub the 3" exhaust.
Cant move the exhaust back either cos I have a big long range tank.

Yes that also is a choice but not as easy to do.
Will also improve ground clearance
But the springs are still bowed which is not good for springs
Cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts