Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a gu wagon 2000 and went to fit new shocks to the front, the shocks were standard as I measured the height from centre of hub to bottom of guard (555mm). I was told this is standard, I let the shocks extend them self and fully open they are to short.
Drove to the place that I bought them from and was told its because I have a two inch lift.
So the standard shocks dont fit but the height is correct for no lift.
Has someone got an explanation for this?

cheers Shane

PS. the rear is 560mm.

·
Registered
nissan
92 Posts
What brand of shocks were they because the heights you have provided are standard height? If they are a reputable brand (not monroe) they should have the correct extension length.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They were the Monroe ones that did not fit, I have the KYB's now but still cant work it out.

cheers

·
Registered
nissan
291 Posts
STD shocks will still fit with 2" raised springs anyway. Sounds like you have the wrong shocks

·
Registered
nissan
92 Posts
Are you comparing what is already on the car because someone may have fitted longer shocks at some stage, which can be giving you the impression that the ones you have are too short.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
You can not compare measurement when the shocks are fitted to the vehicle.

Measure them before you fit them, when they are compressed & opened to their full length. Pm Zordo or Suspension stuff for correct shock length for you rig or lift to confirm.

·
Registered
nissan
1,154 Posts
Are you comparing what is already on the car because someone may have fitted longer shocks at some stage, which can be giving you the impression that the ones you have are too short.

I came across this when i fitted my 2'' lift, i found that the car already had been fitted with the exact same extended travel shockies i was about to fit (same part No) even though it had saggy 10yr old suspension springs.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With the car resting on the ground on all four tyres the new shocks were not long enough fully opened, about 25mm to short.
So I have come to the conclusion that the first set were the wrong ones. they were either in the wrong box or the wrong shocks. The ones I have now are fine and are for a 2" lift.KYB's
I am going to see Mike at FNB Mt Barker tomorrow for some EFS elite shocks for the back so he will have a look and tell me whats going on.
Only wished I talked to him before I bought the KYB's for the front. Sounds like he knows his stuff.

cheers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts