Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

A wire connected to the positive battery terminal caused a short circuit. I moved it around and it hit the body :-( Yes, stupid.... Hadn't install a fuse yet and didn't disconnect the battery... I was a bit in a hurry.

It was a nice spark and everything seems to be working, but can the battery be damaged?

[edit]
Battery is a Century Overlander 4WD and the indicator used to be green but is now black. Hence my concerns....

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hi Buick, ask most mechanics and they will show you a spanner or some other tool they have dropped over a battery’s terminals and while the tool will show some scares, the battery is very rarely damaged.

In your case where you have shorted a wire connected to the battery, the current load would be much lower than that when bridging the battery’s terminals at the terminals.

So unless your battery is on it’s last legs, you will have caused no harm to the battery.

·
Registered
nissan
39 Posts
battery short

Hi Buick. Any battery worth it's salt will blow away a fault/short circuit unless it's a very heavy cable. If the battery dies - it was "Ted" anyway. Cheers, Derb.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.
After a night on the charger the indicator is green and the car still starts.

·
Registered
NISSAN GU PATROL
694 Posts
The batterys can take a fair bit of punishment, Ever tried arc welding with a battery ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts