Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I recently lifted my lwb wagon gq and have a lra belly fuel tank. Problem is when on the hoist the springs get caught on the tank and need to shorten it a couple of inches. does any one recommend somebody who can do this for a least as possible as it isnt something i can do myself

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
as good as impossible to modify a used tank.
How about you fix the springs? Something is very wrong there.

·
Registered
Nissan GQ 95
44 Posts
Its not that hard to do if you have the right gear. I didnt shorten mine just cut out the section that the arm needed to drop inbut if in dought talk to a proper welder to do it
basically drain the tank fill it with water up to were you need to and keep a constant flow of Argon running through it whilst cutting and welding the trick then is to get all the water out before install and refilling

·
Registered
Nissan GQ 95
44 Posts
Forgot to mention that there are mobs that make bent arm to go around the tanks now they are pricey but cheaper than paying someone to weld your tank

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all good i found somebody today that modifys fuel tanks. Also there is nothing wrong with the springs and have the bent upper arms. As the rear articulates and moves forward the springs rub as it is a large long range tank

·
Registered
413 Posts
I had mine shortened a few years back and since its been cut and welded I have had a few issues with rust on the inside of the tank. I am not sure if the two are related but just look out.

I had it shortened as bent arms did not exist at the time.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Once you cut it and shut it, there is a product called 'redkote' that you can get put through the tank and it coates the entire inside of the tank......Radiator shops do it, they need it for about 3 days and it cost about 100 bucks........flexible coating that can even stop leaks too

·
Registered
413 Posts
Once you cut it and shut it, there is a product called 'redkote' that you can get put through the tank and it coates the entire inside of the tank......Radiator shops do it, they need it for about 3 days and it cost about 100 bucks........flexible coating that can even stop leaks too
Is this to stop the rust?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts