Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all just got my self a 92 patrol shorty and having owned a leaf sprung hilux previously just after sum tips on setting the suspension up on her, was looking at 3 inch springs with one body to go with my 33s, just wondering if ill need new radious arms control arms etc. any help info would be tops, will post pics on full build up soon.:D

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
CASTOR CORRECTION
If you have a SWB 3" lift and not a LWB 3" lift that will make the shorty sit over 3.5" then you can run rubber castor correction bushes. If you go anthing over a 3" lift then you are looking at drop boxes or new radius arms. You can of course run 3 degree poly bushes but you would say goodbye to all front flex and it would worsen your ride quality due to more vibes through the steering wheel.

UPPER ADJUSTABLE TRAILING ARMS
I think these are a must for a SWB because of the short tail shaft to stop or at least reduce driveline vibrations.

COILS
For a SWB 3" most would run LWB 2" lift coils means you don't have very good flex. We run a flexy coil so you can run some decent length shocks. You don't want to run a stiff front coil.

There is some more info that might be helpful here https://www.suspensionstuff.com.au/shop/product_info.php?cPath=137_37_66&products_id=1084 or here https://www.suspensionstuff.com.au/shop/product_info.php?cPath=137_37_66&products_id=1346

Shane

·
Registered
nissan
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have been speeking to a guy from tough dog he seems to think 2.5'' is the most i should go, and will still need trans. spacers is this right i thought that only came into play with 4'' plus. i have heard that lwb springs in a swb do go well together due to the fact lwb springs are meant for a heavier weight so the ride is very stiff and i get poor articulation??? thanx for the info.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
tough dog suspension does not articulate - and you need this to be safe in a shorty.

give shane (suspension stuff) a call - he will set you up with some gear which will ride better and work offroad better than tough dog coils will.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Calling sim79 to the counter...

·
Registered
nissan
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok sweet ill give him a buzz the sarvo and wat do people mean when they say flexy coils, are they a brand or just a softer spring?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Flexy coils are a variable rate coil with tapered wire that have a longer open length for their height so they do not become disconnected on full flex as soon so you can run longer shocks.

·
Registered
nissan
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sweetthanx for that so do u rekon ill need drope radious arms and upper nd lower control arms?? or will it fine with out em??

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
As long as it is a low 3" lift then you can use rubber castor correction bushes. With a big 3" lift you would need drop boxes or radius arms.

You would need the upper adjustable trailing arms to tune out vibrations. I have heard of people getting rid of them with gearbox spacers but I would definitely bight the bullet and go straight to the adjustable upper arms.

If you were short on cash, you don't need the lower arms. Strength is the major reason for getting lowers. If for some reason you can't tune out the vibrations then a high pinion rear diff is the best solution.

If you had a long range tank fitted under the driver then you are likely to need a bent upper arm and adjustable lower arms. If you needed a bent upper arm, it might be good idea to fit a shorter bent upper arm and matching pair on the other side so you didn't have to adjust the diff too far back causing your tyres to hit your mud flaps when the tyre is compressed up into the guard.

Shane

·
Registered
nissan
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what do you mean by big or small 3 inch lift, if i run a 3 inch raised coil with appropriate shocks and go with upper control arms and a gear box sapacer i should be ok shouldnt i?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
what do you mean by big or small 3 inch lift, if i run a 3 inch raised coil with appropriate shocks and go with upper control arms and a gear box sapacer i should be ok shouldnt i?
Yes, ok with the rubber castor correction bushes if you get SWB 3" coils. If you get LWB 3" coils then you also need adjustable panhard rods.

The reason why I am going on about big and small 3" is because most companies don't have dedicated SWB coils so they will sell you LWB coils. If they sell you a 2" LWB coil then you have a small SWB 3" lift. If they sell you a 3" lift LWB coil then you have yourself a big 3" lift, close to a 4" lift.

Shane

·
Registered
nissan
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ah i c ill get to buyin all i need from shane at suspension stuff now, cheers for the help for any one interested ill post pics of before and after and travel diffrences.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts