Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 TB48 GU Patrol
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been noticing lately that my 3.0 patrol smokes a bit on take off specially on inclines. Only really noticed it at night in the head light of cars behind. The patrol has blocked egr, boost gauge and Dawes/needle setup but no catch can as of yet. Other wise car runs great. I clean the maf every couple of thousand ks. The Air filter is almost 10000ks old so might change that soon. But should it be a worry that the zd blows a little smoke?

·
Registered
Nissan
2,992 Posts
It's diesel,
Expect a bit of smoke under load...

If it's black smoke it's overfueling, white smoke could be a cracked head or head gasket

Black smoke is pretty normal from a worn in diesel, whereas white smoke deserves some attention

·
Registered
2001 TB48 GU Patrol
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's black definatly not white

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,196 Posts
Been noticing lately that my 3.0 patrol smokes a bit on take off specially on inclines. Only really noticed it at night in the head light of cars behind. The patrol has blocked egr, boost gauge and Dawes/needle setup but no catch can as of yet. Other wise car runs great. I clean the maf every couple of thousand ks. The Air filter is almost 10000ks old so might change that soon. But should it be a worry that the zd blows a little smoke?
Depending on what sort of driving you do, 10,000k may well be at end of the expected life of the air filter, I gently tap mine out at least every 5,000, more often if in dusty environment, in fact I would clean/change the filter much more often than I clean the MAF. Is it a genuine air filter? My old girl gently reminds me by a drop off in it's normally very good fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
2001 TB48 GU Patrol
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a genuine one, I hear the Nissan filters have been slightly redesigned With a thicker rubber seal on it

·
Registered
Nissan CRD
893 Posts
Have you tried some injector cleaner with a tank of fuel to clean the injectors out?

Just a thought.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Have you ever had the injectors done properly? Fuel Pump?

How many klms on the car all up?

·
Registered
2001 TB48 GU Patrol
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as I know injectors never been done, sitting on 172xxx k's

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,196 Posts
As far as I know injectors never been done, sitting on 172xxx k's
My injectors have gone over 200,000 without any adjustments etc but I am pedantic about keeping the system clean to start with. Eliminate the simple things first, that may well work out to be the cheapest way.

You say you have a genuine filter but if it is at 10,000 it will need at least a tap out if you have not touched it, it's amazing what builds up in those folds, try it, but gently.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts