Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
been seriously considering selling my auto with a turbo and go for a very stock 4.2 manual.

i just hate how i know everything thats wired up was done by a bush mechanic and the automatic transmission just sucks asshole now i put 33"s on

do you think its worth selling and going backwards to start again? or should i push through and keep fixing things as they go wrong?

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
A. What he said
B. There a post on here where they have measured the effect of going to 33's was a loss of20 killer wasps and 100 nm's. Took mine off now till I want to go play

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
want a manual anyways
is it a hard job to convert the gearbox?
how much would a scrap manual go for and how much would i get for a auto gearbox?

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i might just get my 31's put on rims and use them weekly/daily and put my 33's for weekend fun (will last longer too) nd just put up with the auto gear box until it one day packs in

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Going to 33 without changing diff ratios is a bit like taking the turbo off and having a naturally aspirated diesel.

Changing to a manual is a bit of heavy work , but very doable . You don't want a scrap gearbox though,you want a good one. if you go to all the work and expence of converting you don't want to have to pull the gearbox out again, their very heavy.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Whichever way you go,logically think it threw
Whats a manual conversion worth ?
Whats your car worth ATM ?
Whats is gunna cost ya for something else ?
Are you gunna be outta pocket ?
More importantly,
Are you gunna be better of or worse of ?

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it wouldnt be worth my while converting the gearbox
but i think it would to sell and buy something more stock and might even have some cash to splurge on some newer mods
i dont know just got attached to my patrol so there is that dont wanna let it go factor too

·
Registered
nissan patrol
109 Posts
Mate,

I'll swap you my 5 speed for your auto if thats what you want,

nothing suss, I have a 5 litre v8 that would be better with an auto.

Dave

·
Registered
nissan
25 Posts
have you considered changing you diff ratio's to bring it back abit. i have a poor old tb42 carbie eng wit 30,0000kms, auto running 35s was 3.9s went 4.6 ratio and now it spins the rears on take off on the dirt. im thinking about shift kitting now.

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how much would you be talking for diff gears?
i think if i went any modifications to the diffs i would chuck on GU's, but just out of curiosity what would the price be for different diff gear ratios?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
109 Posts
A bloke on outers(i think) is selling a pair of 4.6s for $1000 thats pretty good.

It will be a big difference, say you had 4.1s with 31 inch tyres then put 35s on, if you put 4.6s in it would be just like driving with 31s/4.1s.

Did that make sense? I've had quite a few white russians.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
fishmagnet said:
There a post on here where they have measured the effect of going to 33's was a loss of20 killer wasps and 100 nm's. Took mine off now till I want to go play
Correct. that was on the dyno.

Diff ratios are around 1000ea new, 300ea from brunswick + freight, 1000pr on outers is about normal for 4.6 Plus fitting

Word of warning on used gears, gears with worn patterns in them will whine like a 1974 kingswood with no diff oil in it for 5yrs but still driven.

Fitting can be done a few ways
- take car in and bend over totally
- pull the diffs out and bend over
- pull the centers out and take them to a diff place to get fitted.

If your doing diff ratios fit a locker while they are apart. Save yaself close to a grand later.

YMMV

1 - 15 of 15 Posts