Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

should i have sold it? and did i get enough for it?

• yes. its only a car.

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • no. if you love something, hang onto it.

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • yes. no 98GU is worth nearly 30k. well done.

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • no. should have asked for more.

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok. . . here is the situation. . . im in the process of buying a house. . . money is tight but not critical. i listed my GU about 2months ago for sale when i needed the money. . . now dont need it so much. . . i am in love with the car. iv put plenty of myself into it. . and its getting good!

tonight i had another call about it. . . but the guy seemed fairly genuine. . . . we chatted a bit and he offered me 26k as it is. i said i would think about it. . . :rolleyes:

i jumped on carsales and ebay to see whats going around at the moment. . .(its my only car currently so i would need another one within a day or 2)

i can buy a vz ss manual with low kays for about 16k, or there is a GQ 4.2petrol for 8.5k with a bunch of extras. both are nice. but i dont really care about 10k(in my heart). and thats all im getting really from the deal.

But. . . . the 10k would be handy(in reality), and relive a fair bit of pressure. . . . thing is. . . . how am i gonna get another GU wagon like mine or better for what i do?? its gonna take ages. -sure i can buy a GQ and start again, but its not the same. :(

So the dilemma is this. . . its probably only worth 26-27k. so im getting fair coin. and if i was already in my house and looking for a project id probably jump at it.

The other side of the coin is if i buy a dunnydore. . . i wont have a troll!:eek: that would suck.

The question i keep asking myself is. . . if i had the 26-27k. . . would i buy my car in my current situation if i didnt already own it?. . . and i answer no. . . because i need to use my money for other stuff right now. . . . so by that token. . . im in the position of choosing. . . 26k. . . or troll. . . i have to pick the money(with my head) all the while my heart screams that im an idiot and i should keep that car! :headwall:

Sorry its so long-winded. . . but i need Help. . . :withstup:

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,567 Posts
id keep it jacket!

youd never be able to replace what you have, for that coin.
you put a new donk in it not long ago, u know the history..
if ya sell up, and buy again.. u won't have that, ull start from scratch.

i just bought a TD42 GQ, pretty reasonable history.
ive just finished spending 2k on it mechanically, that i didn't intend to.

it's a hard and expensive game.

you really need to think hard,
do u need the money or do u WANT the money?

·
Registered
nissan patrol 95rx
73 Posts
JACK
i would be asking and looking at
* has the troll caused any problems ever let you down
* are you familiar with the replacement vehicle
* are you going to be in a position any time soon to buy another troll
* are the projects you would spend the money on lifethreating
* is your wife going to be happy if a dunnydore needs a couple of grand thrown at it (remember cars rarely change owners for the sake of colour)
* is your wife going to be happy putting up with a depressed jack

if the answer is NO to these questions that is the answer to wether you should sell

have you ever sold anything and the day after you wondered what the hell you were thinking ??
i think this may be one of those times

my 2c
mick

·
Registered
nissan
82 Posts
keep it, if you love sumthin why get rid off it? you know u wont be able to get a replacement for 10k so why bother??

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Flog it, bank the money... With interest rates going to go up and up from here money in the bank can be a good thing. remember dad saying they were paying 17% in the 80's... not sayin it will go that far, but people are crying now at phukall%!

Buy a GQ (but **** paying 8000 for one!) that you can beat the **** out like you always seem to say you do when wheeling of and not lose as much in the long run...

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Commodores have crap resale value...
I've lost lots of $ from owning them in the past...
The patrol has a really good resale value compared to commodores and
Won't break anywhere near as much...
Have alook at what a 50-60k commo is worth 5-10 years from new compared to a patrol...

·
Registered
405 Posts
gee dude, its a hard one! on the one hand, I wouldnt pay $26k for a 99 ST, let alone a DX. but that is a personal thing as I saw a 99 ST go yesterday for around $17,800. nowhere near the mods you have though! Its a beast for sure.
and everyone knows you never get back what you paid for in mods, there was a post on here a few months ago about it and the general consensus seemed to be you get 1/4 to 1/3 the price back when selling, so a $1000 roof cage only adds $250 to the price of the car.
its hard for you to step back and down value your car, but if you are trying to keep it realistic, you have to. otherwise you will say the stereo cost me $2000, the bar cost me $2000 the tires cost me $2000 the lift was $2000...... but if you go down that path the buyer could say, no worries, take out the stereo and return the original (-$2000) take out the lift and tires and return the stock stuff (-$4000) and i will give you $20k for whats left. plus you cant really list the new engine and associated new parts as a huge positive selling point as it has to be sold with these things, its not the buyers fault/problem you destroyed the original gear....
its a harsh game selling your beast! Ive had to do it in the past and it hurts. the other thing you have to careful of is not to blame the missus (I had to sell MY car, what have you done?)
but in the end, its a good price for what you are selling, i think its probably better than market value, its surely better than the "$9,400 - $11,600" that red book says its worth. but the replacement/sentimental value is heaps higher
I suppose the easiest way to look at it is this;
A. do you NEED the money?
B. can you AFFORD to sell it and try to rebuild?

in regards to B. if $$ is already getting tight will you be able to modify it as soon and as well as you would like?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I'd sell it, buy a GQ & bank (or use) the money. For what you can pick a GQ up for you're looking at more like 20 G's changeover. How much is sentiment worth on a car?

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the one im looking to buy if i take the deal on mine. Saw it when it was first listed, and have looked at it a few times since. spoke to the fella tonight, seems like a top bloke, and car is well cared for.

1989 NISSAN PATROL DX GQ Private Cars For Sale in QLD - carsales.com.au

i love my car tho. and i know what is and isnt wrong with it. its a known quantity. and its not costing me a cent to keep(apart from the stuff i break wheeling, and diesel). its just about 18k i get in changeover to the old GQ. that is a chunk of money.

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
Jacket,

If you're thinking of selling the Troll only for the short term and then buying another one once the house is under control, then the cash flow would want to be badly needed. Not only do all of the mods and accessories you've thown at it add little to the sale value (as everyone else has pointed out), but I think its hard to change over cars without loosing at least $2K. Just think about the extra you always spend on servicing (all the fluids etc) because you don't know what the last owner actually did, the fact that there is always some problem the last owner didn't address becuase they were going to sell it anyway, what you generally loose on insurance and rego on changeover etc etc... It would be hard to sell a 2nd hand car and buy another identical one without loosing $2K... especially if you have to buy within a day or 2, which means you can't shop around for a bargain. All that said, if you sell the Troll, buy a commode to help the cash flow, then later sell it and buy another Troll, you'll probably loose at least $4K, just in changeover. Then you'll be starting from scratch etc etc.

And what are you gonna do with the lockers on route from USA? Sell them 2nd hand, give them to the new owner, or throw them in the shed hoping you'll get around to fitting them to the new vehicle some time in the future. All the while, you'll have no idea if you could have driven your truck fitted with lockers, further up that Traralgon hill climb than I did on my piddly All Terrains!!! :p:p:p

My 2 cents!

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Theres so much wrong with that car your lookin at it aint funny.

firstly its an early GQ
its a DX
and its many $1000 over priced. Maybe that price if it was a late model Ti Diesel....

·
Registered
Nissan
6,089 Posts
I'm getting a company car with the new job so that means "technically" I could sell the Patrol. Would save me $750 a month in repayments. So financially it makes a lot of sense. However I have become quite attached, to it even though I don't do nearly enough four wheeling in it, I don't think I could part with it unless I really had too.

If I were you I'd keep it. Once you get a vehicle to just the way you want that's a precious thing in my book.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
nissan
12 Posts
Keep it mate looks like you have had alot of fun in it, you will regret it if you dont. You have a great patrol there.

·
Registered
nissan
714 Posts
Don't sell it mate!

look at all the good times you and her have had together!

My truck was fully financed when i bought her, which was fine at the time cause i had a good well paying job. now I'm in a situation where I'm really struggling to afford the payments, to the point where most people would just sell and be done with it! But there's no way I can sell my truck, to much hard work and sweat has gone into her and we've been so many places together! I'd rather work my ass off 7 days a week for a year than sell my girl.

Geeze, i'm attatched!

but think of all the good times!

TF

·
Resident Social Democrat
6,544 Posts
What does the lady in the picture WANT you to do? If she says "it's up to you", be VERY CAREFUL!!

But seriously (not that I wasn't being seriously with my opening statement), be realisitic about the sale price of your car. Once they've been off roaded like yours (and most of ours have-particuarly with photograpic evidence!!!) you'll find that to the average punter the car will be worth less. Plus yours is a DX with a n/a TD42 (isn't it?).

Be realistic from the start as an inflated sale price in your own head means everything after is inflated, including the net amount going to the savings for the house.

If it's been a faithful and reliable car (as most TD42 patrols are!!), then keep it.

As far as VZ SS's, I just sold one. They lose lots of $$, cost lots to run (fuel, rego insurance). Great fun cars (particularly the 6L) but I won't be buying one again.

If you bought a GQ, there are HEAPS around for really good money, but there are some that are just plain overpriced. As recently as 6 months ago there was a white DX with turbo TD42, lockers, 35's etc for $19990. Great car, but WAAAAAAAY overpriced!!

Good ones are out there for sub $10K.

Good luck with a decision!

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Plus yours is a DX with a n/a TD42 (isn't it?).
Nope, td42 with stock turbo. Its a dx5 to be precise. plus a full fuel system built by birrema diesel(JPC of NSW, -its ready for a cooler and big turbo), and a MTQ 3in exhaust and dump pipe(cost over 3k for a "tune" and exhaust.). donaldson truck air filter, injectors were done up a bit as well, etc etc etc.

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok. . we talked again today, i made up my mind -sort of. . . And told him i didnt really want to sell it, so i said i wasnt interested in 26k. and probably the only way to pry it away from my cold dead hands was with 27k. . . . .he wanted confirmation that it would be a deal at 27k, and i said yes reluctantly, he said yes straight away, -he has mailed me the finance forms for me to fill out.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts