Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
181 - 200 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
138 Posts
okay what am i doing wrong, i have stock springs almost flat (5pack) in front with extended shackles and i have no where close to that kind of flex, WTF am i doing wrong?????

really envy you guys.....

·
Registered
nissan
138 Posts
shocks are 1.5 ince longer than stock, nope not resting on bump stops...

i even slackened the shackles thinking that it may have caused them to bind and not flex, but not go....

·
Registered
nissan patrol
135 Posts
okay what am i doing wrong, i have stock springs almost flat (5pack) in front with extended shackles and i have no where close to that kind of flex, WTF am i doing wrong?????

really envy you guys.....
stock springs flex ****, they need to flex up pushing body upwards as well and bending flat when needed. my stock springs were shagged, sagging/ bent over the pack join bet your are similar when removed.

also as said shocks, u need long travel shocks

·
Registered
nissan
236 Posts
Looks like I'll have to take my shocks out & have another try. Then measure the length of shocks I need.

·
Registered
nissan
26 Posts
Got to take mine out for a quick strap through Ormeau a couple weeks ago.
Didn't get to test the full extent of the travel, but hopefully soon I can go for a decent drive.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,417 Posts
Sweet flex. what mods have you done to get it to flex so well!?

·
Registered
nissan
26 Posts
Honestly, I bought it as is, so I didn't do anything to it!
From what I can tell, it has extended front shackles and flat leaves, and in the rear it has drop shackles and flat leaves. , and the springs sit on top of the axle. There's not much upward travel in the rear, but it certainly works well.
The previous owner knew nothing about it as well

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,417 Posts
Hmm spring over axle, were you able to get a roadworthy with that?
If so, I see a spring over happening for me in the near future.

And drop shakles will do a lot to get it to flex like that. Judging from the shackle angle in the back, it looks like it might even have more flex left in it!
Thats still some of the best MQ/MK flex I've seen though!

·
Registered
nissan
26 Posts
Yeah, there's definitely more in it, but I'd need longer shocks. Something I plan on looking into, that way I have more up travel too.
And it's not registered at the moment, but I can't imagine anyone picking up on an axle flip if it's done properly

·
Registered
Have owned most, MQ, MK, GQ/TB, GQ/TD, GU/ZD and now finally GU TD42Ti
3,315 Posts
the flex on leaf sprung vehicles are also helped by not using (or undoing) the spring retainer for the leaf-pack, allowing them to separate like this image from 5lam...
(which is the reason the leaves separate, and probably the only mod that some owner in the past has done...)

Other things that assist with flex on leafies, shackle angle at 45 degrees, and for gods sake, check the pins on the shackle... With them done up too tight, you just end up binding it all up...

When looking for a perfect length shock, remove the shock completely, then lift and measure what flex you can get and buy accordingly the right shockie ;)

Hope this helped, been a while since I was in the old bone-rattler :p

181 - 200 of 234 Posts