Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
201 - 220 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
139 Posts
13/4/2013 trip to zig zag railway.. good fun wouldnt be satisfied if i didnt get bogged in the bog holes, managed to get out without any help...just used the tyres side wall to grab and pull me back in the direction i came.

Attachments

·
Registered
Have owned most, MQ, MK, GQ/TB, GQ/TD, GU/ZD and now finally GU TD42Ti
3,298 Posts
Top off and they are simply the best shorty around :D I wanna do this chop on my gq....

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,501 Posts
MQ body swap!
MK shorty with coils would be pretty much my perfect 4wd.

·
Registered
33 Posts
as the owner of an 87 Mk lwb patrol its a little embarrassing looking as some of the pics, mines the same as the previous owner had standard height iron man springs, possibly stiffer than my other standard mq patrol springs.
certainly something that needs work
i think my Hayabusa bike has more wheel travel

·
Registered
nissan
236 Posts
[Qeehuusen;1077836]Top off and they are simply the best shorty around :D I wanna do this chop on my gq....[/QUOTE]

I love my shorty, & it hardley ever has the top on. I've been considering doing a body swap for a while now but have to find a GQ shorty for the right price so I can put my MK body onto the coil chassis. Might never happen now tho as I'm almost finished with the LS1 V8 conversion.

·
Registered
Have owned most, MQ, MK, GQ/TB, GQ/TD, GU/ZD and now finally GU TD42Ti
3,298 Posts
I had that idea too, it is doable, but the body mounts are very different... The rear chop on a gq shorty seems easier to me ;)

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,501 Posts
I have seen a GQ shorty with the chop done (it was on eBay for ages last year), it looked okay, but somehow not as good as the old MK's. It didn't have the sloping B pillar as the MQ/MK's do with the top off, so that didn't help. And just personally I think it looked a little odd with the big flares of the GQ.
If you were going to chop a GQ shorty up though, you'd want to do it in such a way that an MQ/MK canopy will fit, I'd say.

I had that idea too, it is doable, but the body mounts are very different... The rear chop on a gq shorty seems easier to me ;)
I suppose if you were really keen you could weld sections of a GQ floor pan into an MQ so all the mounts line up.

·
Registered
nissan
236 Posts
I agree guys. I've seen a few LWB GQ's cut down into twin cabs & they look ok but not as special as an MQ-MK SWB. Plus if the roof doesn't fit it's a waste of time & money.
I'd be better off changing my MK to coils one day now the V8 is in & mounted. Too much work to put the drive line into a GQ chassis & have to worry about body mounts that won't line up.

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,501 Posts
Bumpstops may have to be adjusted, which could limit upwards travel.
GQ's and GU's use that same pin and two bush setup on the chassis side of the front radius arms, I'd think most 3 links would. So I would think that that setup is okay for majority of applications.

·
Registered
nissan
229 Posts
Bit of an old thread, but all the same i feel i must contribute~
mq swb with stock springs, slightly longer front shackles, rear shackle mounts relocated under chassis and cut rear spring clamps~
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
MK Wagon, and an SD33T in pieces...
647 Posts
My turn to dig up this beaut old thread,
currently on standard height suspension, 2" body lift. Soon to be 2" springs, 2" shackles and no body lift, plus 2" 80 series shocks with oodles of travel (equivalent of 4" MK shocks).
some shots on a log just after Ngkala rocks on fraser:
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Sky Land vehicle

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Sky

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Sky

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car

Reactions: GQ bush man
201 - 220 of 234 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.