6,953 Posts
My list

Fox 38 170mm
Rockshox Lyrik 170mm
Rockshox Zeb 170mm
Rockshox Yari
Manitou Mezza Pro
Ohlins RFX 36 160/170

I'm not sold on the top end stuff either. I don't want to spend my ride trying to dial something in. So something around the 35/36mm stanchion size should be sufficient.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I don't want to spend my ride trying to dial something in. So something around the 35/36mm stanchion size should be sufficient.
Ah well that narrows it down a lot. Rockshox is a great option then as they have limited adjustments and narrow tuning windows. Fox tends to have every adjustment available and huge tuning ranges which can be a nightmare to set up for those not used to spending hours fine tuning on all there top line 38 forks but their now sister company Marzocchi makes exactly the same fork but with simpler damper adjusters which is more user friendly with just the basic low speed compression/rebound.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I saw this vid a while ago which has some good info between how the fox/Marzocchi differ, it's for the dual crown fork but the differences are the same for the single crowns.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,953 Posts
I saw this vid a while ago which has some good info between how the fox/Marzocchi differ, it's for the dual crown fork but the differences are the same for the single crowns.
The hard part is finding a air Z1 in the right length

·
Registered
803 Posts
Hmmm coil maybe, I've recently made the switch to coil on the back and have been loving the sensitivity of it compared to the air. One less thing to worry about and check air pressures on to which is nice, sometimes I spend more time checking pressure and settings in shock,fork,tyres than I do actually riding haha

·
Registered
Nissan
6,953 Posts
Hmmm coil maybe, I've recently made the switch to coil on the back and have been loving the sensitivity of it compared to the air. One less thing to worry about and check air pressures on to which is nice, sometimes I spend more time checking pressure and settings in shock,fork,tyres than I do actually riding haha

Nah no coil in the rear and I can't be bothered with a coil in the front

·
Registered
Nissan
6,953 Posts
What's the bother with coil? I'm enjoying the simplicity of it compared to air and just one less thing to worry about.
Because I already have a rear shock and I don't want to be messing around with springs in the front, plus I do like the natural progression of air forks

·
Registered
803 Posts
Yes the linear nature of the coil was the biggest thing I noticed when I made the switch but I offset it by running more high speed compression which sorted it out. Still doesn't quite match the end stroke ramp up I got with my air which had the can full of the max amount of volume reduces I could fit plus some extra areas of electrical tape to reduce it even further. Plus they make progressive coil springs now which I'm keen to have a play with. I've been swapping over from coil to air every month or so just to change it up and they are both great but in different ways.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,953 Posts
Yes the linear nature of the coil was the biggest thing I noticed when I made the switch but I offset it by running more high speed compression which sorted it out. Still doesn't quite match the end stroke ramp up I got with my air which had the can full of the max amount of volume reduces I could fit plus some extra areas of electrical tape to reduce it even further. Plus they make progressive coil springs now which I'm keen to have a play with. I've been swapping over from coil to air every month or so just to change it up and they are both great but in different ways.
I'm sure they are good, but I'm not throwing cash at a shock, when what I need is a fork, pedals, handlebars etc etc

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
24,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,195
I am a huge fan of this young bloke, right from when I saw him first race. Many said that he wouldn't amount to much but watching how he rode and the smarts about positioning and when to put the hammer down, was what I was looking at. Those people,e are now eating humble pie and I keep throwing at them.

Foo

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Reactions: klappers and rgren2

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
24,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,196
What a wild piece of gear. :eek:

Foo

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
24,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,197
Trying out a new app called Komoot. It would be very good for touring and mapping but doesn't give you the stats on cadence speed heart or Z zones. It's free but you can pay a once off $29 and have access to maps and directions from all over the world. :cool:

Foo

Reactions: klappers

·
Registered
Nissan
6,953 Posts
Trying out a new app called Komoot. It would be very good for touring and mapping but doesn't give you the stats on cadence speed heart or Z zones. It's free but you can pay a once off $29 and have access to maps and directions from all over the world. :cool:

Foo
Yeh komoot is pretty cool

·
Registered
Nissan
6,953 Posts

Foo
I use it with my lezyne GPS. Pretty good integration

2181 - 2200 of 2274 Posts