Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1961 - 1978 of 1978 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
6,796 Posts
I've ridden one of these in 26" and loved it (I didn't like their twinloc suspension system though). As good as 650 and 29ers are for traction and maintain speed through rough stuff you just can't beat a 26" for fun/flickability and super quick accelerations with the much lighter wheels for wider/heavier MTB tyres.
I haven't been able to take it out anywhere yet... Was just setting up the sag on the suspension and pump up the tyres. But it is weird riding this compared to my old phat bike. Suspension (and dual suspension at that) is pretty novel!

·
Registered
2018 Mazda BT50 Dual cab
8,642 Posts
Slower to get going because of the heavier rotational mass due to more material in the wheel.
Sorry but a flywheel effect cannot add speed or acceleration. It is stored energy that can maintain momentum for a short time. The aerodynamic resistance is the major force to be overcome by a racing cyclist. Hence wind tunnel time for elite world level riders $$.
I have raced tts at a state level but am not that good and was too old anyway.
The reason for going disc is aerodynamic efficiency.
Were it to be a flywheel effect then it would make sense to deliberately make the disc wheel super heavy for more stored momentum and they don't do that.
Happy to disagree and leave it there anyway ;)

Do your training wheels have discs or spokes
Like these

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
Nissan
6,796 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Stan's is great and I've never not had it seal a puncture but up here in QLD I needed to change it out with fresh stuff every 3-4 months to stop it from forming boggers. This happened with both the standard version and the race version which was even worse. I've now switched to orange sealant and yet to change it in over 12 months with no issues, I haven't had any punctures yet with it so can't compare how it seals compared to stans which was awesome in that regard.

I like DHRII, I run them on my front but find them too grippy and draggy for the rear.

stans.jpg
stans2.jpg

·
Registered
Nissan
6,796 Posts
Stan's is great and I've never not had it seal a puncture but up here in QLD I needed to change it out with fresh stuff every 3-4 months to stop it from forming boggers. This happened with both the standard version and the race version which was even worse. I've now switched to orange sealant and yet to change it in over 12 months with no issues, I haven't had any punctures yet with it so can't compare how it seals compared to stans which was awesome in that regard.

I like DHRII, I run them on my front but find them too grippy and draggy for the rear.

View attachment 517795 View attachment 517796
Coming from 26x4.8, I'm hoping that the skinny 26x2.3 should be a breeze lol.

I got the Stan's due to the size of the double G's and the various sharp sticks(it plugs bigger holes) I'll get another plug kit as well 👍

·
Registered
Nissan
6,796 Posts
Also, thoughts on gearing up the Scott to a 1x setup. The only thing holding me back is the 26" wheel.... but I'm hoping it should be okay. The only thing that will hang lower is the cassette. The new shadow + derailleur is pretty #tukt. My local bike shop has a set of spank oozy rims that I could get a xd driver for.... Ah the joys of bike ownership lol

·
Registered
548 Posts
Any recommendations on chain lubes for dry/dusty trails? I've been using Finish line dry for a while now but it gets squeaky and dry after 2-3 rides and needs cleaning and reapplying. I know i'm being lazy and should be doing this anyways but wouldn't mind a few more rides between having to do this.

finishline.jpg

·
Registered
Nissan
6,796 Posts
Any recommendations on chain lubes for dry/dusty trails? I've been using Finish line dry for a while now but it gets squeaky and dry after 2-3 rides and needs cleaning and reapplying. I know i'm being lazy and should be doing this anyways but wouldn't mind a few more rides between having to do this.

View attachment 517806

I use the wipe and relube method. I use mucoff dry lube. Just wipe down after ride and reapply. Your chain will be clean as ****. I don't use degreaser between relubes

·
Registered
548 Posts
I must admit I'm a bit of a lazy bugger in regards to my bike maintenance. I've been known to also never check brake pads and have stuffed a few disks in my time :ROFLMAO: I think I subconsciously do it on purpose as an excuse to upgrade bike parts.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,796 Posts
I must admit I'm a bit of a lazy bugger in regards to my bike maintenance. I've been known to also never check brake pads and have stuffed a few disks in my time :ROFLMAO: I think I subconsciously do it on purpose as an excuse to upgrade bike parts.
I know what ya mean

1961 - 1978 of 1978 Posts