Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to the site
Have a couple of issues. Firstly I have a 2001 gu 4.2 ute.
I'm travelling across Oz West to East. I'm at Ballodinia WA, stuck!
I'm towing a boat and this morning after doing standard checks drove 15 km then pulled up to check again. Overheating... Found radiator leak in bottom corner. That part is sorted will order a new one and get it freighted. Next, tried to start so as to move ute to better location 50m, it shuddered like it was missing or timing out also I keep hearing a weird pulsing, sucking type noise which is obvious at tail pipe.
I just kicked it over again and it shuddered a bit but gave her some revs and running good again but still hear that noise? I have been getting an unusual amount of black smoke to since leaving Perth, thought it was just extra labour towing but suspect piston rings or injectors?
Any advice greatly appreciated thanks.
My nearest help is 300km away by road.

·
Registered
nissan gu td42t
625 Posts
Doesn't sound to good there mate.. If it has a crook injector it could make it miss or run rough on start up and idle. How hot did it get. I would try disconnecting the power wire to the fuel cut off on the injector pump so you can crank the engine over without it starting. If it cranks over slowly or has a tight spot then you have a serious problem.
Iv had very similar problems to you. Mine had strange noise out the exhaust, running rough, blowing smoke. Turned out to be a fried piston and rings, cracked head, blown head gasket
From a hole half way up my radiator. Temp gauge never moved. By the time I new something was wrong it was to late.
I hope it's nothing major for your sake but I don't like the sound of it.
If it's running rough at idle try cracking one injector at a time. If you crack one it should run even rougher. If you crack one and it doesn't change much you will have at least narrowed it down to what cylinders not firing.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ballodinia blues

Cheers m8,
I just kicked her over before dinner and it shook and rattled initially but a few steady revs and it's come "good". Still I want to get a mechanic to check it out. I'll crack the injectors tomorrow morning after I've sorted a replacement radiator. I'm pretty sure I caught this in time before it got too hot or any major damage, but will wait for some professional assessment. I'm wonder if it's the injector pimp or a blocked injector to cause the shuddering? The black smoke? Well that's fuel or air, so maybe injectors or pump as I did all the filters and oil before leaving Town. Overheating, probably originally too much work on those long gradient hills towing a big load, then too much pressure in radiator until finally it cracked.
Like I say, I've been keeping an eye on everything and am hoping I caught it in time. It's just a bugger to be away out here, but am glad I'm not stuck out on the Nullabor cause it's bloody cold each night and getting back would cost an arm and a leg.
I'll go through a list of stuff tomorrow and see if I can narrow it done while I wait for a radiator to come out and I'll call some mechanics in Kalgoorlie to get advice about driving back there or getting trucked in. Matters are compounded when towing a boat.
Anyway happy days m8 and thanks for the advice.
Cheers

·
Registered
164 Posts
Disconnect the engine breather hose & start engine, if it pumps a lot of grey smoke through the breather then the internal engine parts are faulty, such as piston hole or damaged rings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts