Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cut sidewall in one of my MTZs, the tyres are under 2000km old.
I plugged it at the time with the orange string, but it leaked.

I've taken the tyre off the rim to have a look at the damage, the cut is about 5mm long on the inside. It's been done right in the middle of the white lettering. The shape of the cut looks suspiciously like it was done with a small knife but I hope it was actually from an old tent peg. The rate the tyre went flat gives me a pretty good idea of exactly when it happened.

Considering these are three ply sidewalls I'd like to have a go at repairing it for off road use only. I understand that repaired sidewalls are illegal for on road use and have durability issues. Another thousand km out of these tyres is all I'm looking for.

I cleaned the string out and washed the area with metho, then glued a small patch on, but it would not glue properly. Maybe because of the small ribs inside the tyre or the compound the tyre is made of isn't compatible with the glue.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Try taking it to a Bandag recaping store and get then to do a major repair in it .
If the cut runs down the side wall it should be allright, but if it runs along the side wall, then you can throw it out because it would have cut the cords.
I work for a Bandag store and we do it to trucks tyres all the time.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cut is down not across.
I believe one of the sidewall plies is at an angle in these which may be a problem.

Cheers, will take it into a truck tyre joint.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts