Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi been searching but cant find answer, what are the diffs: between silver and black top 4.2s. One post said silver tops are 93 onwards,so im'e confused mines 89 and a silver top. What are the different specs.. Cheers:)

·
Give it some goat
nissan
2,697 Posts
Oil squirter in side of block, heavier pistons and rods. Simply heavier and more reliable and can handle more boost.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I think the black top came in from 1995 onwards.

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil squirter in side of block, heavier pistons and rods. Simply heavier and more reliable and can handle more boost.
Cheers what one though, is this the silver top. :)

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
The silvertop is supposedly the stronger of the 2.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3,907 Posts
HeHe yeah

Back on topic, the silver top was on Non-turbo cars, then they changed internals for TDi's and put a black top apparently to show they did it.

The black top/silvertop on nissan cars is a wives tale it means nothing apart form a different colour, it dosnt make engine stronger.

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
HeHe yeah

Back on topic, the silver top was on Non-turbo cars, then they changed internals for TDi's and put a black top apparently to show they did it.

The black top/silvertop on nissan cars is a wives tale it means nothing apart form a different colour, it dosnt make engine stronger.
ahhhhhh but you are wrong , the black top have lighter internals to " make it more revier " , the down side to this is lighter pistons ( among a couple of other things ) which cant take as much abuse as the heavier pistons / motors

the later model turbo motors ( i am led to believe ) although still black top reverted to the heavier internals to handle the extra abuse / pressures

·
Registered
Nissan
417 Posts
I know theres a lot of talk and a few threads on this. Can somebody refresh my memory about the sure way to tell if you have a TD42T, I think I recall a member saying the difinitive way is to check the engine number, ie if it's TD42Txxxx then it is the stronger and TD42xxxx then it's not. My confusion comes from the fact I own a TD42T o4 and it has original engine which is a silver top which contradicts what some are saying in this thread that the rocker cover tells. I don't have the car here now so cant see. I'm looking at buying a TD42 ute and the seller assures me it is a changed out motor with TD42T, and he's saying it's a black top in a 2001 ute

·
Registered
Nissan
417 Posts
OK just an update on my question and assumption that the difinitive proof was an T in the engine number, this must be incorrect as I now have an 2003 TD6 Wagon TD42ti, the original sales receipt from Nissan is in the log book and shows the engine number without a T...!

·
Registered
nissan
1,812 Posts
I know theres a lot of talk and a few threads on this. Can somebody refresh my memory about the sure way to tell if you have a TD42T, I think I recall a member saying the difinitive way is to check the engine number, ie if it's TD42Txxxx then it is the stronger and TD42xxxx then it's not. My confusion comes from the fact I own a TD42T o4 and it has original engine which is a silver top which contradicts what some are saying in this thread that the rocker cover tells. I don't have the car here now so cant see. I'm looking at buying a TD42 ute and the seller assures me it is a changed out motor with TD42T, and he's saying it's a black top in a 2001 ute
The original Silver tops ended in August 1993.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,066 Posts
Not all turbo spec engines have the "T" in the engine number. I forget what mine is, but it is not T.

One good way to check is to see if it has the turbo drain hose back into the block on the passenger side. If it does not then it it is not a factory turbo engine as far as I know. It is the large plug in this pic, just forward and below the pressure relief valve.

·
Registered
Nissan
417 Posts
Thanks @gqshane, as suspected the colour of the rocker cover isn't as sure as some people think. This came up when browsing ad's on GT people saying silver top and black top as if they were Turbo spec. As a buyer I was ringing them saying how do you know it is, one guy said about the oil return like you, others not so sure. My memory had gone foggy from this research 5 year ago when I bought my ute, I did remember the part about the T in engine number. So the 03 I have has no T but is the orig engine. I wondering as a guess that for the GU series 98 onward did all TD42's that came out as T Turbo spec or did they make NA ones in the 98-99 years. Reason I think that is can't recall a TD42 GU NA as far as I can remember but maybe in the early years there were some produced but I guess not after 2000, someone will know this I bet.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,066 Posts
I think it was 98 & 99. But during that time you could also get the factory turbo as an option, but thy were not intercooled. This is from memory, so not 100%.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts