Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, thought I'd put a few pics of my patrol up as I'm always reading up on what others are doing.

It's a 92 GQ, TD42 5spd, front airlocker, new arb compressor, arb bullbar, ipf 900 spottie's, 4" lift, T/D adjustables, Big O drop arms, Superior rear arms, Adj panhards, 33" MTZ, dual batterie's and lotsa other little stuff.

The story goes I bought it from Bathurst last year the week before the great race so my first drive was around the track. Awesome place.

It was fitted with 4" rear and 3" front springs originally, so one of my first jobs was to level it out, fit my adjustable arms and drop arms and also the 33" MTZ's.

Difference between radius arms, 1x standard with rubbers, 1x standard with castor bushes, Big O drop arms.

Fitted some bump stop extension's.

Removed the factory flares and fiited some rubber one's

Rewired the headlights. Big difference this made.
From this..

To this..

Built some sliders,

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fitted some extra brake lights in the unused reflectors

And this is pretty much how it sits at the moment, minus spottie's

Have been building some rear storage boxes to go over the rear wheel arches, as I need the rear seats for the kids, and I may pull the front crossmember and notch it out for the front tailshaft this weekend, see what happens.
Anyway, cheers. Alex.

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fella's. Yer so far it's been good to drive, suspension works well off road and having the locker makes it very capable for where I usually point it although the lsd is a bit loose so i may look at that soon.

Fitted an in line fuel pump about a month ago, a Walbro pump. Got all the info from researching threads on here. It pumps at 6psi and made a instant improvement thru the rev's between 2-3000. An easy mod with great result's. Adjusted the fuel screw a 1/4 turn this week and that's given it a very nice little increase in power. Happy!.

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cut out the gearbox xmember for the front tailshaft. Good clearance now.

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finished off the storage boxes I've been building over the last few weeks.
Used 12mm ply and carpet from bunnings . Still plenty of room for the kids with somewhere to put all my bits and pieces.

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thought I'd add a couple of shots from recent trips.

Got a bit of air thru this hole at Glasshouse the other week and came out with the right front wheel totaly dry. It had swallowed five other cars either side of where I went. The guy in the pajero I'd already snatched out once in the other direction. Idiot turned around and went straight back in only to get stuck again.:rolleyes:

A bit of a washout at crystalval yesterday. On and off rain all day made the place really greasy. Recovery's all day long. Slid down the hill and into this rut rolling a tyre of the l/f rim just after a 80 series had done the same thing in the same spot. Bit of an effort to get it out of where it was. We were 100m from our air up point. Spewin!

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well its been quite a while since I added to this, so i thought I'd do an update.

Biggest one was going from this
to
this.
Dont ask!.

I've just finished modding my Arb bullbar to take the Tigerz 12,000 pound winch I brought last month.
Cut the top section out and welded in 6mm plate across the front and then braced to the side.
I kept the top section and cut it out to allow access to the winch. This now sits up about 40mm higher as the winch doesn't fit within the standard dimensions of the bar.

All welded in with top plate tacked on. Used some 6mm flat welded behind top and bottom of the front plate for added strength.

Made up a nudge bar out of 50x25 to sit above the fairlead.

And the finished product. I mounted the control box behind the drivers spottie and trimmed 2 or 3 bars out of the grill for the cables. All the cables have extra loom tube or insulation to protect from rubbing etc. And I fitted a rubber flap over the hole in the top plate to stop mud and crud from getting onto the rope, also to protect the rope from sunlight. It just fold back if i need to get in there.

Took the trol out on sunday for a test winch on a incline using a double line and then a straight line pull. Very happy with the winch and bar.

Just got to put in an isolator switch for the remote earth wire. Have read a few stories of the remotes operating by themselves.

And just a pic in wombat state forest about to get snatched after being hung up on the diffs. I've already started to collect some 35"simex's.

·
Banned
nissan
145 Posts
nice rig 10/10, yea it sucks moving from sunny QLD back down south i used to live in caloundra sunshine coast, back in orange nsw now near bathurst. never went 4wding at the glasshouse mt`s tho was into street cars back then. cheers chopa.

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yer the move back has been bit of a culture and weather shock, especially for the kids.

Next?. I think a quarter chop and wrap around rear bar out of tube are next. Made one on my last Q so I've got an idea of what i will do this time. Dont want to damage the panel line so I will put some protection there.
Also I've got a 4.3 front center which I scored for basically zip, so i'm on the casual lookout for a rear. Not priority at the moment but once I get a set of play 35's it probably will be.

cheers
alex.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i was back in melton last wkend visiting family. next time im down there ill keep a lookout for you! have fun in the wombat, quite afew fun tracks in there. havnt had the mav in there, only an old pajero. was still good fun, and close to town.

·
Banned
nissan patrol
178 Posts
I'm jelous great truck gives me a few ideas for mine

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Made up a rubber splashmat or shield a few weeks back to protect the alternator and pulleys from getting mud etc in them and wrecking them. Had an idler pulley bearing let go , so I thought I'd try and limit that from happening again.

Used a length of alloy flat which i bent to shape around the sump and is bolted to the chassis on each side. Purchased some rubber matting from Bunnings and clamped the mat to the alloy with a heap of 1/4" stainless bolts and then secured it at the front to the original tray under the radiator. I then sealed it to chassis on the sides with good old sika.

Was out in Wombat on the weekend and not a splash got anywhere near the pully system. So, happy with the end result,

cheers,
Alex.

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thought I'd add some pics from the other weekend. My son and I sometimes head out exploring. We usually make a day of it with him having a drive, me in the passenger seat and us making a campfire lunch somewhere. He does well for 15, getting good a picking lines and how much power to use.

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A couple of pics from the weekend. Found some good tracks and unfortunately ended up bogged in a hole which turned out deeper than i thought. Ended up drowning the carpets a little, oh well!.
I'd sealed the door rubbers a few months back and that worked well, the water tracked in through the sills and through 2 rubber floor grommets that were'nt in properly. The carpets are all out at the moment and before they go back in i will be sealing all floor plugs and holes with sika.
Got to test out the TigerZ winch for the first time in anger and it performed well, certainly earned it worth I think.

Letting it all drain out...

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally took the plunge and lopped off the 1/4's yesterday and made a start on my rear bar.

I used a colorbond garage door offcut I got from work which I riveted into place and completely sealed with sikaflex and then body deadner inside and out.
When you look around there's a few holes up in the body seam work that easily allow water into the rear 1/4 section. All sealed with sika and deadner now :D.

Made a start on the rear bar and today got both the wrap around sections fully welded and into position. Just need to cut of the exhaust mount so I can brace the sides back to the chassis, then work on the center piece. Will use 100x 100 box for the center and am thinking of using it as an air tank. Still looking into that.

1/4's on

1/4's gone

Seam holes up inside 1/4

All sealed

Rear bar tacked in place

cheers

1 - 20 of 112 Posts