Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are people using to help protect the paint from oxidation and just make it easy to clean. My GU is not kept undercover and the QLD sun is harsh! A couple of years ago i spent too much money on "professional' spray wax but it desn't last that long and needs a fair bit of prep work. I eventually went back to Meguiars wet look which gets rid of a fair bit of oxidation (if i have left it too long) and seals ok.

What else do people use. I'm not fussed about getting rid or scratches.

I follow this guy on Youtube and he recently tested a few spray on, rinse off products that look promising.

·
Registered
Nissan
796 Posts
I just use good quality wash n wax..on both Patrol and caravan . Wash it first with a good quality carwash...rinse...and then rewash with wash n wax and just rinse off. If its not that dirty I just wash it with the wash n wax only. Had few folks at various times ask me how much the respray was...and were gobsmacked when told it was all original paint. But then both vehicles are shedded whenever at home too...which helps a bit I spose......

Cheers Keith

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,204 Posts
I just use good quality wash n wax..on both Patrol and caravan . Wash it first with a good quality carwash...rinse...and then rewash with wash n wax and just rinse off. If its not that dirty I just wash it with the wash n wax only. Had few folks at various times ask me how much the respray was...and were gobsmacked when told it was all original paint. But then both vehicles are shedded whenever at home too...which helps a bit I spose......

Cheers Keith
I do very similar, I use Eagle One Easy Wash and straight after rinsing I go over it with Turtle Wax 'Wax and Dry' spray then chamois it off before it dries. The old girl still looks good, the issue with being out in the sun all the time is the black plastic bits, I use Mothers 'Naturally Black' on them. Still looks new after 19 years.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recently went over the black bits which made them come up good but needs a second treatment.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I like Meguiar's gear and use NXT polish on the paint, and Gold Class Trim Detailer on all the black bits. I originally purchased the detailer to get polish off the snorkel where I had been a bit hung ho putting on the duco, and was so impressed with it that I use it on most of the trim now. I give the paint a real good coating before any big trips as I find it is a lot easier to bring back after the trip, particularly with some mud in the High Country and Top End that seems to almost etch itself onto the surface, and to remove insects. Have even thought of getting a bonnet protector to help, but resisted so far.

Been happy with both products but the price is up there.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have also just started using the trim detailer. Works well but i wish i started using it 5 years ago!

·
Registered
Nissan
140 Posts
I’ve always used wet look, and then meguiars canuba wax. My car too sits out in the elements. as good as this combo is, I’m now trying wet look and NXT combo. I applied this 2 weeks ago, the panels are smooth and slippery ( for lack of a better word ) bugs, bird poop, road grime etc cleans off very easily. Easier then above combination.
So far very happy, now to see how long it lasts for.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
135 Posts
I have been doing research about this recently, having little detailing experience.

Have read glowing reviews of Turtle Wax Seal and Shine from the youtube "pro" detailers. It's quite cheap too being a TW product.

Why did I buy a black car?

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been doing research about this recently, having little detailing experience.

Have read glowing reviews of Turtle Wax Seal and Shine from the youtube "pro" detailers. It's quite cheap too being a TW product.

Why did I buy a black car?
Did you watch the video i posted at the start? Looks promising.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol GU
137 Posts
Purchased a bottle of bowdens happy ending, you also need bowdens snow job also as pre wash before applying bowdens happy ending. Must be used through a lance on you pressure washer for best results, will report back once used. Not cheap at $60 for happy endings and $55 for snow job , and $99 if you use with bowdens cannon lance,hopefully it can do an amazing shine and bead it claims to justify the cost of this premium high end product .

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
82 Posts
Purchased a bottle of bowdens happy ending, you also need bowdens snow job also as pre wash before applying bowdens happy ending. Must be used through a lance on you pressure washer for best results, will report back once used. Not cheap at $60 for happy endings and $55 for snow job , and $99 if you use with bowdens cannon lance,hopefully it can do an amazing shine and bead it claims to justify the cost of this premium high end product .
I experimented with happy ending.
1. Chemtech car wash then happy ending with foam lance was impressed with beading.
2. Chemtech car wash, clay then happy ending, increased sheeting almost like the video
3. Maybe this weekend if it's not too hot, decontaminate and apply using a spray bottle and microfibre clothe

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
GU IV 4.2
955 Posts
Bowdens also have another product called wet dreams which from reviews seems to be pretty good also. No need for foam lance either as it comes in a spray bottle

·
Registered
Nissan patrol GU
137 Posts
Thanks for info guys, going to decontaminate with three way first as car is wash and covered at the moment. Will report back with results

·
Registered
Nissan patrol GU
137 Posts
Hi guy’s, had very good results using bowdens products, very impressive actually, the pre wash SNOW JOB does a very good job removing all dirt and grime including tree sap. The NANOLICIOUS wash leaves a nice smooth finish also, l used the THREE WAY straight after that with the CLAYING RUBBER as well followed by NANOLICIOUS wash again and then HAPPY ENDING for final finish,
6764882E-C640-4A7B-98B3-AB744A02C008.jpeg

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts