Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an easier way to return oil to the engine from turbo other than removing sump and welding on the fittings? i was thinking can you run oil return to the rocker cover? that would be as simple as removing the cover, drilling and threading it for the fitting. is this a good idea? or not so much?

·
Registered
549 Posts
NAAIIIRRRRRRRR
Turbo oil return relies on gravity to return it to the sump/block. The reason the oil return line is bigger than the feed is because it is not under pressure.
If you tap into your rocker cover you will have issues with turbo seals.

The easiest way is to drill a 1/8th drill through your sump (while its still on the motor) fill the drill flutes with bearing grease to catch the swarf. Then flare the hole open with a tapered punch (sump steel is weak as piss and easy to flare) then tap a thread into the flared hole.
ALOT of performance shops do it this way, i have done it this way on a falcon and it worked very well.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright yeah im trying to get an understanding of this all thouroughly so i dont go wrong, i am going to be turbo'ing my patrol soon so im really doing my homework. from what i can gather, turbo to sump is the best way to do it.
thanks heaps!

·
Registered
nissan
30 Posts
I was wondering the same thing about the return to the sump, why can't you return to the alternator /vac oil return ?? or does it sit too high ??
Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
195 Posts
you want your oil return from the turbo as strait and free flowing as you can get it.. also lower than the turbo but higher than the oil level in the sump. if you are not sure about the level in your sump fill the sump when its off the car with the crank case oil fill capacity of water. that will give you a good indication of where to start drilling.as said it can be done on the car tapping the return in but may as well take it off and do it 110% as its not something you want to fail.

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
On a "high mount" turbo some do use the alternator return. having said this, IMO this would only apply to a ball bearing turbo as they use far less oil than a journal bearing.

However if i was to install any turbo i would take the sump off and and install the return there as advised above, but that's just me .
As GQ.gq suggested is the way most if not all of the after market shops do it, (i just wouldn't be game).

If you decide to do it this way you drill 25mm down around the 8th and 9th sump bolt, to allow the return oil to spill out onto the splash pan. Some shops insist on a oil change after.

Cheers.

·
Registered
nissan
105 Posts
When I put my return into the sump I placed magnets next to where I was drilling and greased the drill I ended up going to a 13mm hole in stages and welded a tapped socket to the side of the sump then when the whole install job done. Oil Change and flush through with some cheep oil (not for running) then fill up new oil and filters

1 - 7 of 7 Posts