Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 806 Posts

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've never bothered with a build Thread for my truck, it's far to late for that.
So any way I have been keen on a dual cab for the last few years and with the condition of my truck being fubar I was on the look out for a blown series 4 zd to swap the body or engine round(which ever way was easier for the engineer) and all my goodies.
Finding out that a td42t can not be put into a newer body then 02 unless you have the tdi motor which can be put into up to an 06 it really threw a spanner in the works. The engineer that apparently signed off a td42tdi into an 012 was very very hard to get decent info out of so I throughly it wasn't worth the risk and the hassle.

Sooooo the the trail went cold until I found a stock as rock granddad edition 99 gu td42t with 200k on the clock for 11.5k.
The new plan is to dual cab the crap out of it and build it for work(not play ;) ), and then swap all my go fast goodies, arms, rods, suspension, bars, racks wtc and then swap all the grandad parts onto mine and sell it off which will still be a factory stocko td42t(so I should fetch at least 65k.... Hahaha)

My cousin is doing all the work on the chop etc(veteran at this chit) and I've given him a healthy time frame of 12 months.. Lol after all he has to completely rebuild and spray his gq dual cab 6x6 before he starts mine and his is in pieces atm.
This thread will go cold quick as there will be no progress for a long while but at least I have started something..! ;)

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was a bit hasty in starting the thread, I paid a hefty deposit but for peace of mind asked if a forum member could check it out. It got the all clear so she is on a transport truck getting shipped strait to my cousins for the long journey ahead!
Interior will get completely stripped and dyna matt everything, the cabin on a TD gets bloody warm even in st trim..:( and would be good to cut the ugly engine noise down..!
It's planned on being a 10yr + truck (I said that with my current wagon bit work has ****ed it and the rust is starting to show..) so I won't be going tight a$$ on the build. Plus I do need more room for tools etc and now we have a baby girl and plan on more kids I need the back seats free, they are currently removed for more tool space... Lol

Not sure if il upgrade the UFI/dc3 combo, I have it going more then good enough for work needs but I will swap my gear box(has new 5th) and put a UFI/hdd safari clutch in it to cop future mods. Il probably make a another inlet mani to closely resemble Marty's and maybe get a new pwr front mount and or just get a flat blade screwy and flick all the fins back strait ;)

It will also cop water meth which I have been holding off on mine due to the clutch slightly slipping in 4th every now and then. I have the tank and everything ready to go.

There will be more things but one things for sure it's going to be a busy year on the mods and swap overs..:)

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Well it's finally at my cousins place to be chopped up after Christmas!!!!
I forgot how 'good' they actually go when stock standard and unloaded with stock rubber.
Soooo much stuff to swap over from this clapper..

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked and looked and looked and one fell in my lap. I was somewhat sceptical but in reality it's all it's worth!!
Paid less than 11.5 as well :) as it turned out the front wind screen has a crack and 2 flairs need replacing/re attaching.
It's proper stocko, you would need to spend 15k to get it looking and going somewhat decent!!

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
360km un opened factory turb. Was stocko engine power wise till about 300k
Always safe egt Blah blah

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So some progress

Phil sent one pic of it stripped then an hour later one all chopped.. Lol
I left it in his hands and he knows I'm needing the anchor points for the baby seats etc.
He has left a bit of play room and is picking up the ute rear wall tomorrow and tack it on.

I have also scored a crd 08 box for $100 with 120k on it(they have a lower first as well which I was after) this will save rebuilding the box to strengthen 5th and or save swapping my box over.
A 2x2.4 tray which we will chop and mod to suit length.
Getting a fly wheel off lee.
UFI clutch.

Cous is only doing it when he is back from fifo so he thinks it will be done by May ish.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,025 Posts
I'd love to chop mine, just can't justify the costs now that I'm retired. Bloody hell you keep falling onto your feet with costs, $100 for an 08 box with 120k??????????? 5th gear has been going on mine for years but have been putting it off till it falls off, damn I'd love to have some of your luck/negotiating skills rub off on me :).

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah Rosco I've wanted a dual cab for soooo long! Working out of the wagon is chatting me and since buying the boys a d22 single cab 2.4p navara for work it really pulled my finger out to get something done! Even though my ute tray will be only 2m wide by 1.5 long with tool boxes either side I will still be able to fit corro sheets up to 2.5 long between the boxes and rubbish and general crap with normally goes in the cab or on the roof.

Facebook is a gold mine for cheap Parts. The gearbox was off a truck a bloke bought of some teenage kid for a conversion. Blown 08 crd he got for a bargain. Also got a full length and width steel tray which is perfect 'shape etc for what I need etc but just needs shortening for $500 of the same bloke.
Having time and being patient is the key.
Originally I was going to chop mine, then I was looking at an 06 blown zd but they still wanted 10k... Than this td42t popped up. I thought scam but it was all legit and I have blasted round the cousins paddock and country roads and all is good.
So I can do this whole chop and swap my stuff over then essentially sell my current wagon all cleaned up and make some dollars back. People do love the factory td42t...... Lol

Next year my cousins plans to get back in the game once the fifo slows up and maybe do 3-4 chops a year out of his massive shed at home. I'm the show pony so to speak to how the world what he is capable of and provide coatings etc.
Il get a pick of the 6x6 thing he built ;)

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Wall is tacked.
Should be all good and ready to paint next time he is home from fifo.

Has anyone ever put small quarter windows in? Seems a waste of viewing.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nothing new has happened.
Just thinking about ditching the idea of swapping everything over..I seriously can't be stuffed at the moment.
I might just throw some more coin on my truck and by all new 18g/12mm upgrade :)

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cousin is back from fifo this wk.
By early next wk it 'should' be all welded,bogged,under coated and hopefully have the colour on as well.
He wanted to get it spot on before I start blasting heaps of pics on here.. Lol
The ute wall is harder to do than a piece of pressed flat due to the rear of the wagon and ute wall being slightly different widths.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gu duel cab
155 Posts
Gu duel cab

Hi sim or I'm new to forum but I am just finishing my gu duel cab using the rear cut from a ute. I am glad I went this way as I looks more factory. I did a 800 mm chassis stretch and cut and shut the single cab doors so I didn't have filled in wheel arches .it came up good but a lot of work. I looked at putting small windows in as well but it didn't seem to look right any way hope all goes .im not one for photos but I might post some

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Nothing special, just picked up the tray and gear box today. Bargain at $600 for both :cool:
Cousin wasn't home so had to slide it off my trailer onto his. What a heavy bloody thing!!!

Progress has been a little slowwwww.. He was only back for 3 days the other week so hot nothing done.
Also got the 4.1's re bearing'd and auto locker put in. Diffs are sitting on the bench ready to go.
Also got a new pwr cooler.(the current ones staying in there.. Lol)

1 - 20 of 806 Posts