Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Green Machine
nissan
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, decided to start a project truck to keep me out of trouble.

I have thought up a combination, SWB GQ rolling chassis, RB30/RD28 GQ gearbox and transfer, RB25DET engine, GQ Ute cab and custom tray.

I have a few Q's I was hoping to discuss along with the rest of the project.

1. I know R series engine will bolt up to a R series gearbox, however which gearbox do you think will mate better with the RB?

2. Will the SWB tailshafts join up to the RB/RD gearbox that was only offered in the LWB?

3. The RB25 bolts into the gearbox and engine mounts on a RB/RD GU/GQ chassis but will I have to modify the shorty chassis that had a TB/TD mounts to accommodate the RB25?

4. What is the best way to connect the dash cluster and which is the best to use?

Thanks, :bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Registered
nissan
11,162 Posts
yeah engine mouts will be different.
tailshafts im pretty sure will be different onto transfer case end. diff ends should be the same
send all wiring to an auto elec. id be under the impression that you wont be able to get the standard instrument cluster to work with the rb25 but i could ben wrong.

·
Green Machine
nissan
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Benos.

Ive had a quick change of direction. Came across a very well priced RB30 GQ in town, im going to pick it up next week. Wont be a shorty anymore but thats ok I can handle that, I will still be taking the wagon body off and fitting a ute cab though.

Now the big question is do I transplant a whole RB25 in or do I make a RB25/30 hybrid with the 30's bottom end?

I would like the better performance but if it is to much of a **** around im just going to transplant a whole RB25.

Cheers for your input

·
Registered
nissan
11,162 Posts
Thanks Benos.

Ive had a quick change of direction. Came across a very well priced RB30 GQ in town, im going to pick it up next week. Wont be a shorty anymore but thats ok I can handle that, I will still be taking the wagon body off and fitting a ute cab though.

Now the big question is do I transplant a whole RB25 in or do I make a RB25/30 hybrid with the 30's bottom end?

I would like the better performance but if it is to much of a **** around im just going to transplant a whole RB25.

Cheers for your input
ive seen plenty of 25/30 hybrids getting round. and should make a fair difference as pretty sure 25s have twin cams and variable valve timing, also efi, and a very good flowing head. i aint sure whats involved in bolting on a 25 head. but it cant being that hard as there is lots around.
try a skyline forum or google
i tried having a look but google decided to have a teary. but heaps came up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts