Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just started a long trip and stopped in a small town today to fuel up. When i tried to start my TD42 GQ Wagon I got a single click when attempting to start but no start. All the dash lights came on as nornal and battery voltage is at 12v (dual battery setup) but i just get the single relay click.

Any idea on how I should diagnose the problem? After the car was sitting at the gas station for about 2 hours it started after a few attempts at turning the key.. This has happened before in the past few weeks, never on a cold start but after the car has started and has been driven for a bit.

I'm reading online that it could be the starter solenoid relay? Any help would he greatly appreciated as I'm on the road currently!

Thanks,

Curtiss

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
19,269 Posts
Sounds like the solenoid is on the way out. Usually you can give it a tap with something, wheel brace usually and that will get it going but that trick only works so many times.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the solenoid is on the way out. Usually you can give it a tap with something, wheel brace usually and that will get it going but that trick only works so many times.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the quick reply, if it is indeed the solenoid, would I have to use an OEM or could I use something else which is easily located in small town America?

Thanks!

- Curtiss

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
921 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply, if it is indeed the solenoid, would I have to use an OEM or could I use something else which is easily located in small town America?

Thanks!

- Curtiss
Suggest you order a starter motor, non genuine is probably fine.

·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,084 Posts
Ah, the old ‘ask the same question in multiple sections and see if you get more replies’ trick...

Yes I’d replace the whole starter motor, they aren’t that expensive (here at least) and you may get one quite quickly if needed from partsouq in the Middle East.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, the old ‘ask the same question in multiple sections and see if you get more replies’ trick...

Yes I’d replace the whole starter motor, they aren’t that expensive (here at least) and you may get one quite quickly if needed from partsouq in the Middle East.
What can ya do, im desperate and stuck in small town America.. May as well shoot my shot!

I see they're not that expensive, but im multiple days away from receiving anything from overseas.. Is there any way to use a 24v starter which wasn't designed for my truck? Im not opposed to finding a new place to mount it, if possible.

Thanks!

-Curtiss

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A good auto electrician will be able to recondition your old starter motor.
I'll give that a shot monday morning. There's a few in the town im in and maybe my car will have the ability to start monday so I don't need a tow..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In case I am not able to find a good auto electrician, ive found this starter 400km south of me and if I am able to start my vehicle I should be able to make it down there. I just wont turn the engine off until i get to town...

I have one of those odd 24v/12v safari's with a 24v starting system but a 12v house system. All my accessory devices are connected to the aux battery which i believe is hooked up to the alternator and the drivers side battery has only 24v appliances, a feed from the aux battery and connects to the starter.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the truck started this morning after many single click attempts and will attempt to take her to the nearest city and auto electrician..

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Make sure they check the batteries too under proper load because if you are saying they are at 12 volts normally.eg before cranking then they are actually quite flat. I thought it was an issue running 12 volt accessories off 1 battery in a 24 volt system. Normally the 12 volt stuff is run off a step down transformer. Maybe @Leethal Can clarify when this is an issue.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Make sure they check the batteries too under proper load because if you are saying they are at 12 volts normally.eg before cranking then they are actually quite flat. I thought it was an issue running 12 volt accessories off 1 battery in a 24 volt system. Normally the 12 volt stuff is run off a step down transformer. Maybe @Leethal Can clarify when this is an issue.
The truck has a 12v house system which is indicated by my battery gauge in the truck but a 24v starting system through some sort of voodoo magic. I cant say how it works but apparently it's common in colder climate vehicles such as the Canadian prairies.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was able to tap start it this morning with ease. I had my pal lightly tap the starter with a pipe and it started right up. It's going to the rebuilder today.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why have you still got 2x threads going on the same problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tried deleting the one in the Gq forum but i couldnt see where the delete function was. People started responding and it become helpful because I was in a desperate situation on the road.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got it sorted, took out the starter and had it repaired in an hour and now it starts up great every time, so my mechanic says. I was not there in person but ill ask what was wrong with it tomorrow. Thanks for everyones help with diagnosing this issue. This forum has helped me out greatly ✌🏽✌🏽✌🏽

·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,084 Posts
Glad you got it sorted bully.ball 👍

Regarding this;

Normally the 12 volt stuff is run off a step down transformer. Maybe @Leethal Can clarify when this is an issue.
Yeah mate spot on, years ago you could get a device that would draw equally from each battery and halve the combined series voltage to run a separate 12v system. I fitted one to a mate’s 24v safari shorty, but after a dozen clowns and butchers had a bite of the cherry over the years (including a body swap over East where the electrics became an unmitigated disaster, and the owner being as mechanically inclined as a bowling ball, despite what he’d like you to think), that whole car badly needs a rewire from one end to the other.

Nowadays you just use a dcdc charger of course, solves all the problems!

The issue with taking 12v off one battery is that that battery will become slightly more discharged than the other, and when wired in series to provide 24v, they will NOT equalize, unlike two batteries in parallel at 12v.

Therefore, when being charged in 24v, one will be slightly overcharged and one slightly undercharged. Bad juju in the longer term of course.

So with 24v cars you’d only ever replace both batteries at once, same brand and model, and ideally once every couple of months give them individually a deep charge on 12v.

Happy days! 👍

1 - 19 of 19 Posts