Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
I have a 4.8lt 2003 model patrol with the tiptronic auto. My 4.8 is getting arround 30lt to 100km and i havn't got shares in BHP. I have a GTR 2.6lt engine sitting in the garage from a rear end crash so it is in good condition and have a mate with a 2004, 2.5 lt skyeline engine swap and it matches up with the manual gear box with no more than a couple of modded engine mounts. Seems to have more than enough power. He di have a 3.0 lt diesel so not hard to beat. I have a problem i do not know of any one doing a engine swap with the tiptronic auto. I do not know if the engine will bolt up as easily as that did. If any one knows out there let me know.

·
Registered
nissan
928 Posts
30Lt per 100 seems excessive even for a 4.8. If your chasing lower running costs give it a tune and service and maybe a gas conversion. the 2.6 might be nice in the skyline but revy petrols with no bottom end torque are always adverage in big heavy cars not to mention chew some juice.

Maybe some 4.8 owners can jump in here im guessing they should consume around 20 L per 100 normal driving? Whats your driving style like? if your pedal to the metal theres not much you can do.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
58 Posts
You will need a 2.8 gearbox your 4.8 box wont bolt up to the rb26
Also you mite need to change the flanges on the 2.8 box as they run smaller flanges and wont bolt to your diffs
Not sure what your gonna need as far as speed sensors to interface to your dash

·
Registered
nissan
38 Posts
30/100 is pretty bad I get 22/100 with 33's, bull bar, winch, rear bar, twin spares, full roof rack driving through the adelaide hills

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
yer mate, put that sick 200kw 1.6L renult engine in your patrol. . . . they go like the clappers and get 7litres to the 100.

·
Registered
nissan
526 Posts
wow i have got to sort out my 4.8 then i think i averaged about 40L/100 on the last trip if not more, put in $70 of fuel and got 50 klm! although it was 4wding and it was fairly heavily footed the whole way!

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
I'd have thought that the problem with the smaller petrol engines is that while they can develop heaps of power, it's all at wildly high revs, with very little down low, especially torque. That's not good when it comes to moving around 3 tonne of metal. You'll likely end up getting no gains and using even more fuel.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
Bare in mind the RB26 generates it's torque and power quite high in the rev range which means you will end up having to constantly ride the clutch in the really rough stuff.

In the Gtr the RB is only pushing around 1500kg your patrol weighs around 2300kg stock that's before bull bars winches etc...... Add some 33" or 35" inch muddies and you are starting to ask a lot of the 2.6 low in the rev range before the sweet T T's start spinning. Below 3,000 rpm there is not much there.

Once the turbos are generating power and torque the RB will easily generate enough grunt to haul the Patrol. But you don't want to be offroad climbing steep rocky hills having to keep the revs at 3,000 to around 6,000 just to generate enough torque to pull the big patrol, you could be climbing like this for 40min or more.... I know RB's like to be revved but not to that extent.
This is where bigger petrol engines and diesel engines are able to make more power lower in the rev range and seem to be able to almost idle up the hill.

Awesome engines the RB26's... I managed to lure a Millenium Jade R34 M-Spec Nur Gtr:iconbana: into the garage next to the Patrol they are " Beauty & the Beast " although sometimes I'm not sure which is the Beauty and which is The Beast.

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
I'd have thought that the problem with the smaller *SNIP* engines is that while they can develop heaps of power, it's all at wildly high revs, with very little down low, especially torque. That's not good when it comes to moving around 3 tonne of metal. You'll likely end up getting no gains and using even more fuel.

Cheers

Ray
pretty much my thoughts.

·
Registered
nissan
131 Posts
The only real advantage to the RB25/26/30 swap into a Patrol is that is a bolt-in swap for an RD28. This makes it cheap and easy. As you don't have an RD28 this negates that advantage.

If you want to use the tiptronic gearbox then it means custom fabrication and endless mucking around. If you have to go to that effort then you should do it with a more appropriate engine. Not that the RB swap is bad, it just seems like a step backwards from the 4.8.

My completely stock RB25DET does 17L/100km which isn't much better than most 4.8s. You would be better off trying to sort out the economy of the 4.8.

Having both an RB25DET Patrol and a ZD30 CRD Patrol I would much rather drive the ZD30 than the RB25 in nearly every situation other than drags at the lights. They are pretty similar around town as well but you really notice the difference off road. The ZD makes some torque off boost whereas the RB doesn't make any. This makes crawling up hills hard work. An RB30 bottom end may fix some of these problems. I have never driven one to find out.

To answer some other questions, the RB engines don't need massively high revs to make power. 1800-3500rpm is where I drive mine most of the time. Its just that 1800 is still too high for crawling without reduction gears.

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray!
I'd have thought that the problem with the smaller *SNIP* engines is that while they can develop heaps of power, it's all at wildly high revs, with very little down low, especially torque. That's not good when it comes to moving around 3 tonne of metal. You'll likely end up getting no gains and using even more fuel.

Cheers

Ray
pretty much my thoughts.
This, of course, is quite different when considering diesel engines. :D

Cheers

Ray

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Really?? BAHAHAHA!:D
If you care to check on the power/torque characteristics of the new 3.0 lt and similar diesels coming out, they piss all over your 4.2lt tractor engine, no matter how much you've spent on modifications. And I think even my now older tech 3.0lt would piss all over your 4.2lt. :p

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
26 is not the engine for a Patrol, not if you want any sort of economy.
25 will cruise along with more go than the 26 at "normal" RPM as the 25 has VVT, 26 doesn't. (VVT stock change over point is around 4700rpm)
Once you get the revs up, the 26 will really perform but who wants to drive like that?
Another thing, go take an objective look at your 26. Check out the junk in and around the plenum, there's almost a grand in genuine heater hoses there. Even Chinese silicone stuff will set you back around $250.
Then go over the other side and have a good look under the turbos. Not pretty is it. If they're stockers they're ceramic turbines too and getting old.
Imagine working on all that with your guts squashed over the Patrol's mudguard.
Rb26dett is a piece of artwork, I've got one and it's not a Patrol.
But 40 L per 100?????
Saw a U-tube of a Mack pulling 140tons GCM and that was his average fuel economy.

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
And I think even my now older tech 3.0lt would piss all over your 4.2lt. :p
ok. ill race ya. -im serious. even with 35's vs stock wheels on yours. you're in Melbourne, next time we have a daytrip here, we will have a drag. witnessed by all and sundry. im not to proud to swallow my pride publicly.

best of 3 drags, 0-100kph on tarmak, and possibly a towbar-towbar drag to finish off on mud.:D

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
ok. ill race ya. -im serious. even with 35's vs stock wheels on yours. you're in Melbourne, next time we have a daytrip here, we will have a drag. witnessed by all and sundry. im not to proud to swallow my pride publicly.

best of 3 drags, 0-100kph on tarmak, and possibly a towbar-towbar drag to finish off on mud.:D
Let me know. You can play in your mud hole by yourself.

Cheers

Ray

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,046 Posts
If you care to check on the power/torque characteristics of the new 3.0 lt and similar diesels coming out, they piss all over your 4.2lt tractor engine, no matter how much you've spent on modifications. And I think even my now older tech 3.0lt would piss all over your 4.2lt. :p

Cheers

Ray
Gee Ray that a pretty wild statment for any sort of 3 lt diesel

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Gee Ray that a pretty wild statment for any sort of 3 lt diesel
Clearly you haven't been keeping abreast of diesel engine technology.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan
62 Posts
I thought people were trying to put 4.8 into skylines not the other way round,

my 2002 4.8 uses about 22L /100 round town, best I have had is 15L / 100 on the highway, 25L / 100 towing a 2t caravan on the highway, and about 50L / 100 towing the caravan up the beach.

I use premium 98 fuel, and a catless 2.5 exhaust, the only time I use 30L + / 100 around town is when the "hoon" in me comes out

1 - 20 of 41 Posts