Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know 7.30 has been dodgy in the past but did anyone see the disgusting treatment of horses (some well known) to be slaughtered at this abb and the cruelty inflicted on them by callous men working there. If this is 1/10 true then these people (including owners and management) deserve slaughtering themselves in the same manner, they have no right to life themselves in a civilised country.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,832 Posts
No, didn’t see it, can tell you stories about ‘doggers’ that were happening in the ‘70’s when I worked in a related industry.
Let’s just say, their trucks were not very welcome in the town and transport permits were not available.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,397 Posts
I saw the footage and I'm disappointed but not surprised.
The video evidence is fairly damaging with the traceability of branding and micro chipping.
The same callous practice saw the greyhound industry shut down and irionicly it was the horse racing industries 'wastage' that fuels the greyhound industry.

I can see why Taylor Swift decided to be unavailable for the Melbourne cup.

I wonder how the celebrity types like
Bruce McAveney or Mick Molloy like being public faces and making some of their money through an organization that treats their animals like dog meat?

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,832 Posts

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,270 Posts
The "sport of kings"
It is gambling pure and simple and no surprise that animals who have grown to trust humans are treated in that manner once they are no longer a source of revenue.
Humans aren't trustworthy.

·
Registered
nissan
6,395 Posts
I didn't see the program but this is always going to happen when people use animals to compete with each other. They deliberately breed them to try and develop good ones but the less than good ones that are produced are of no use to anyone and inevitably get destroyed. A small percentage get save by animal rescue groups but ex race horses don't make the best pony club hacks and greyhounds don't make the best house dogs.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One horse had won over $400,000 for it's owners, the people made a big deal out of this horses retirement only for it to end up at this despicable QLD slaughterhouse, and of course when contacted knew nothing about it, so much for loyalty to an animal that made them a lot of money.

Apart form the abhorrent moral wrongness of this, I understand animals will finish up in a slaughterhouse, while working at a big petfood manufacturer, and being a staff member, we would sometimes be called upon to carry out audits of our suppliers, in that role I have been to and inspected a number of slaughterhouses in southern NSW, not a nice job but if animals are treated with respect during the event and slain humanely then that is a fact of life that is tolerable but not nice to see.

These arseholes filmed at this QLD slaughterhouse should be charged and the company closed down, they deserve nothing but absolute contempt, a persons attitude towards animal 'treatment' is a strong indicator of how they would treat humans in certain circumstances, many serial killers started out with animals, so they can burn in hell for all I care.

I didn't see the program but this is always going to happen when people use animals to compete with each other. They deliberately breed them to try and develop good ones but the less than good ones that are produced are of no use to anyone and inevitably get destroyed. A small percentage get save by animal rescue groups but ex race horses don't make the best pony club hacks and greyhounds don't make the best house dogs.
Fully understand that, but it is no excuse for letting what is being done continue. As said above some of these animals will finish up in such places but there is killing and there is killing.

The racing community and the QLD Govt should be ashamed of themselves.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I agree Ross. There are always arseholes in any business. This should be regulated and that lot should be shut down and made to pay for their actions. My grandparents were involved in bigtime horseracing back in the day and the horses were always treated well. This is going back to the 1800s where horses were viewed and treated differently.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Scumbag arseholes - there is a big difference between humane slaughter and animal cruelty..........I hope karma gets the lot of them.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where are all the moron greenies now that invaded and terrorised perfectly legitimate dairy farms and cattle properties months ago, where are these DH's when something legitimate comes along, oh yes they have other 'more important' issues on their mind now, fwits.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,832 Posts
Where are all the moron greenies now that invaded and terrorised perfectly legitimate dairy farms and cattle properties months ago, where are these DH's when something legitimate comes along, oh yes they have other 'more important' issues on their mind now, fwits.
Probably glued to a road somewhere.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Apart from the intolerable cruelty of the owners and workers at this slaughterhouse, all of which should be pilloried for that, there are many un answered questions.
Where were NSW racing?
Where were QLD racing?
Where were the relevant govt deapartments?
Where were the RSPCA?
Why did the group that planted the cameras wait 2 years to get at least the early parts out in the open, they could have saved a lot of animals a lot of pain and suffering. All round it has proven to be a disgusting money hungry industry, we had greyhounds now horses, greedy people will always tarnish good people, good people need to stand up and be counted.

There is a partition doing the rounds on fakebook, I didn't sign it because all it was doing was complaining, it had no solutions.

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
884 Posts
I saw the footage and I'm disappointed but not surprised.
The video evidence is fairly damaging with the traceability of branding and micro chipping.
The same callous practice saw the greyhound industry shut down and irionicly it was the horse racing industries 'wastage' that fuels the greyhound industry.

I can see why Taylor Swift decided to be unavailable for the Melbourne cup.

I wonder how the celebrity types like
Bruce McAveney or Mick Molloy like being public faces and making some of their money through an organization that treats their animals like dog meat?
A bit late to the thread. A good friend of mine worked in the pet meat industry whilst he was studying engineering.

100% true. Slow race horses get to try to outrun a .308Win and then become dog food. That and kids old nags that mum and dad get sick of looking after/paying for are all prime candidates to become locally sources Pal.

Cynically, it is sustainable dog/cat food. :( Cant say that about tuna...

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A bit late to the thread. A good friend of mine worked in the pet meat industry whilst he was studying engineering.

100% true. Slow race horses get to try to outrun a .308Win and then become dog food. That and kids old nags that mum and dad get sick of looking after/paying for are all prime candidates to become locally sources Pal.

Cynically, it is sustainable dog/cat food. :( Cant say that about tuna...
The fact they end up in an abbs or knackery is not the point, other than if someone makes $400,000 from a horse you would expect some loyalty, it is how they were treated in their final hours that is the disgusting part, the sheer cruelty shown by the company in question is what it is about, the owners and participating workers should be treated the same way in death they treated these animals. Lowlifes, that is all they are.

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
884 Posts
The fact they end up in an abbs or knackery is not the point, other than if someone makes $400,000 from a horse you would expect some loyalty, it is how they were treated in their final hours that is the disgusting part, the sheer cruelty shown by the company in question is what it is about, the owners and participating workers should be treated the same way in death they treated these animals. Lowlifes, that is all they are.
Agreed fully.

My point was even at the grass roots level the ones that don't win, or dont win anymore seem to not have a good life expentancy and are disposed of with the amount of concern as an empty dominoes pizza box.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A knackery mentioned in 7.30 report was fined for animal cruelty only 1 month ago as a result of an inspection in early 2018, disgusting, this particular case of cruelty did not involve race horses.

'Upon leaving, the vet and inspectors found a third cow which had collapsed in a ditch full of effluent, with its nostrils just clear of the waste. It too had to be euthanased'.

'A few days later, 100 more cattle were examined and 41 euthanased due to their condition, with analysis finding many had suffered from significant levels of intestinal worms'.

·
Registered
nissan
2,011 Posts
The point is, the scum at the abattoir are the ones that should be put in the spotlight here. The way they treated the animals has no connection with the racing industry, a typical beat up by a current affairs program. By all means go after the abattoir, but the treatment of these animals at that establishment has nothing to do with the racing industry.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The point is, the scum at the abattoir are the ones that should be put in the spotlight here. The way they treated the animals has no connection with the racing industry, a typical beat up by a current affairs program. By all means go after the abattoir, but the treatment of these animals at that establishment has nothing to do with the racing industry.
I do believe the racing industry has to show some leadership in this, Barry O'Farrell (ex NSW Premier) is in charge of NSW racing his interview the other night was appalling, his lack of knowledge on this subject made me cringe. We all know many will end up in slaughter houses because they don't make the grade, sad fact of life, like greyhounds a few years ago who just ended up buried in paddocks, if it is done in a humane manner I have no issue, it is the ones who did make the grade and made people rich and still ended up being tortured in this facility that NSW/QLD racing should be totally ashamed of.
I have perused some racing forums recently and there are some good people and there are some mongrels.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Racing NSW lied about not knowing thoroughbreds were being sold to slaughterhouses, a female trainer recognised a horse at a saleyard and asked the buyer where the horse was going and was told to a slaughterhouse, she offered to buy it but was rejected, that horse was slaughtered, the woman notified Racing NSW of this 12 months ago. Racing NSW is supposed to have protection measures in place for thoroughbreds.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts