Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's people's opinions on which is better for a GU4 onwards. Flat (horizontal the same as a side step) or angled (angled up to follow the sill a bit closer)?

Pros and cons of each.

Flat or Horizontal ones:
- makes a perfect side step
- possibly sticks out further protecting the doors more should you rub up against a tree ( I know on my previous ute the sliders would hit before the doors, only just though)
- reduced ground clearance just off to the side of the car

Angled
- increased ground clearance just off to the side of the car
- not quite as good a step, but still effective
- possibly not as much side protection?

Looks, personal preference I think.

I'm thinking about a 3" lift.

·
Registered
nissan
124 Posts
I'M looking at the same thing at the moment,

Looks wise I think angled up looks better I was hoping to get some that were angled up with still enough to use as a step i.e still get the front of your foot on.

Hopefully run them up into scrub bars as well.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I originally had flat step style ones on my GU then have recently built myself an angled up pair. I was worried the angled sliders would not be enough of a step to still access the roof rack but is plenty honestly. Heaps better clearance offroad too which is always good given the patrol hasn't got the best side clearance. Angled is definitely my preference after having both.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I noticed this with my previous ute too. The guys with flat sliders would hit and those with angled sliders would hit a bit less. Obviously if the rock is under the chassis then it makes no difference, but those that you just miss or half climb the extra hight of the outside bar on the slider seems to be significant. The increase in height is only about the diameter of the pipe (~40mm).

On my other ute I could still step on the angled slider easily, is this still the case on a GU?

Edit: just read your reply about using them as steps. Sounds like angled is the way to go.

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
Groud clearance of to side is well, pointless, if the chassis hits it doesnt matter about out to side clearance
Flat as a step protect panels better, increases width a little but that just reduces panel damage:D
Just have them strong enough to take a hit

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Im just working on some new ones myself, in 304 stainless steel because the ****ty ARB steps have rusted through.

They will have the ARB step ally checker plate on top sitting flat to stand on. But under side will be sloped from a slider rail under the sill kick panel and the outer rail sitting up higher.

I picked up the stainless tube from Stirling stainless (3.7mm wall thickness 40nb 304L tube), last week, dropped to Bend Tech Monday and picked them up from there today. Looks good so far, nice neat bends and the fit is good.

Now need to get onto the other fab work. Still not sure if I should do the stainless welding or get someone more professional to do it.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Rod

on my flat steps versus the angled up steps, the angled up versions have 20mm longer outriggers from the chassis to the step which gives you more room to stand on the outer rail as well as bringing the step out for more protection to the panel work..you essentially get the same protection to your car from both of them with the angled up version giving slightly more clearance and also being a bit less susceptible to the outer rail getting bent or damaged..

dave

·
Registered
Nissan
133 Posts
I've procrastinated for a long time wondering what go with and finally ordered a set of gusseted ones from Bolsys ^^^.

The only downside I could see was my mother in law might struggle to get in (is that a bad thing??)

·
Murphys Law magnet
nissan patrol 08 model
178 Posts
I have a three inch lift with flat sliders if I had my time again id go angled....no particular reason other than it looks better IMO. Maybe does look higher too.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I've procrastinated for a long time wondering what go with and finally ordered a set of gusseted ones from Bolsys ^^^.

The only downside I could see was my mother in law might struggle to get in (is that a bad thing??)
Ah you evil man, that is a great.

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
2,815 Posts
+1 for Bolsys angled ones. They are wide enough to use as a step, especially if you put grip tape on. Just make sure you get plated ones, not open. I've seen sticks caught in open sliders get forced into the sills, causing huge dents.:cheers:

·
Registered
403 Posts
I went angled this time. I had flat sliders on my last GU and I hated the look of them. The kids have no issue using the angled ones as a step either.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Seems pretty unanimous then, angled it will be.

Now just to get in contact with Bolsy to get in before the group buy ends. :)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All sorted. Ordered a set of angled up sliders with the 5mm skid plate on the bottom from Bolsy.

Phoned Dave, he answered all sorts of my questions which was great. It was a very easy process. Now looking forward to them turning up :)

·
Registered
nissan
11,150 Posts
If your mainly wanting them as a step for touring and not weekend warrior type stuff go flat. For anything serious. Go angled. Way bettrr clearance. And still more than enough to stand on.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
I don't have a gu4+ but just thought I'd post some pics of what I have on my gu2.

Bit different but looks good on the older shape and is strong. I've pivoted on rocks with these:) I wanted the flat top on them so the missus and kids were safe getting to the RTT. The top has industrial non slip tape on it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts